This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

The Wardrobe

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

The Wardrobe

Postby caleon » Oct 30, 2009 2:42 am

I've been reading through the books, and I am trying to find out what happened to the wardrobe after Digory moves into the one-room cottage. Does anyone recall? I'm sure if he took it with him Lewis would have mentioned so.
caleon
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: The Wardrobe

Postby ChristProclamer » Oct 30, 2009 9:35 am

I don't think that the book ever says. Some readers say his house got bombed and the wardrobe was destroyed; however, I find that highly unlikely considering that the estate was out in the middle of nowhere. I'm guessing he took it with him.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian_at_heart » Oct 30, 2009 10:33 am

Interesting question.

I wonder if the wardrobe can be destroyed since it's magical. However, Professor Kirke does say that they won't get into Narnia again that way so maybe the magic left the wardrobe after the Pevensies got back.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby TheGeneral » Oct 30, 2009 1:27 pm

Wow I actually never thought about that. I like to think he kept it, but it probably would be too big in a cottage.
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby ChristProclamer » Oct 30, 2009 9:21 pm

Perhaps he gave it to Polly, then?
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby daughter of the King » Oct 31, 2009 6:38 pm

ChristProclamer wrote:Some readers say his house got bombed and the wardrobe was destroyed; however, I find that highly unlikely considering that the estate was out in the middle of nowhere.

The reason some readers say that is because in LB Edmund says that his house was destroyed. A bombing makes the most sense even if the estate was far out. Unless the building was imploded. I always thought the wardrobe was destroyed, or it could have been put in the spare bedroom that Peter stayed in when he stayed at the Professor's cottage in VDT.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby ChristProclamer » Nov 02, 2009 11:07 am

*checks book*
VoDT Chapter 1 says:
...If he had still been in that house he would have had them all to stay. But he had somehow become poor since the old days and was living in a small cottage with only one room to spare.
LB Chapter 16 says:
"I thought that house had been destroyed." Said Edmund.
"So it was," Said the Faun.

So since it isn't mentioned in VoDT, perhaps it wasn't destroyed until later? BTW, thanks Daughter of the King for pointing that out--I'd forgotten about that part in LB.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby NaiadWaker » Nov 11, 2009 11:58 am

I think that The Professor only left the house in VDT, and maybe between SC and LB the house was destroyed. Anyways, by LB the magic probably left it, since Narnia was no more.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 11, 2009 12:48 pm

I would like to point out that the house that was destroyed was not the big house in the country but the house in the City that was Digory's residence when he was a child. In other words the MN house if that makes sense.

I really don't think the wardrobe was destroyed. I think that it stayed in the big house in the country when Digory left it or perhaps he took it with him to the cottage in the country. The wardrobe wasn't of much use Narnian concerned after the pevensies came back out of it because the portal closed. After that it was just a memento but a very valuable one!
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby daughter of the King » Nov 11, 2009 1:08 pm

Watziznehm wrote:I would like to point out that the house that was destroyed was not the big house in the country but the house in the City that was Digory's residence when he was a child. In other words the MN house if that makes sense.

(insert coughing smilie here)
The Last Battle Chapter 16. Farewell to Shadowlands

" 'Why!' exclaimed Peter. 'It's England. And that's the house itself--Professor Kirk's old home in the country where all our adventures began!'
'I though that house had been destroyed,' said Edmund."
(bold added by me)
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 11, 2009 4:00 pm

Oh, ha ha, oops, my mistake. I forgot about that part but I had to check the book myself just to make sure. It was there sure enough. :)
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Hermitess of Narnia » Nov 17, 2009 5:07 pm

narnian_at_heart wrote: However, Professor Kirke does say that they won't get into Narnia again that way so maybe the magic left the wardrobe after the Pevensies got back.

After the hundred year winter the wardrobe's connection to the Tree of Protection was destroyed. Remember, Jadis hates the Tree of Protection because she has taken of the fruit the tree came from, wrongfully. She only takes over Narnia after the Tree dies, (I would assume this happened on the Narnia timeline at the same time the tree in England is knocked down.) When the witch is killed, the wardrobe's purpose has already been fulfilled and that is why it will not take them back to Narnia.

Okay, this might be a crazy theory.

I always assumed that the house had run down after the Professor lost it, and had to be torn down.
Hermitess of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 20, 2010 4:09 pm

I have always wondered what happened to the Wardrobe after the Proffessor had to move to a smaller house.....

^^ hermitess of narnia: awesome theory! I wish C.S. Lewis had written that! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 21, 2010 8:27 am

I assumed the exact same thing, Hermitess of Narnia (about the house that is). I believe that the professor had grown a good deal poorer (as it says in VODT) and couldn't afford to keep his house. It is my theory that he sold it to some sort of development firm, who knocked down the big house in order to make way for several smaller houses, or for businesses. Either way, the wardrobe would have meant too much to the professor not to take it with him. Even though cottages are small, they're not completely without space. Even the smallest of cottages would have had room for one wardrobe.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod