This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ever got the wrong end of the stick?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Ever got the wrong end of the stick?

Postby King_Erlian » Mar 28, 2012 4:28 am

When reading the Narnia books, have you ever read something which you completely misunderstood and only realised much later?

I first read the books when I was 6 and for about a year afterwards I drove my parents and teachers nuts asking, "What does bella-board mean?" If I'd had the opportunity to meet C.S. Lewis (which was impossible as he died the year I was born) it would have been the one question I would have wanted to ask him.

The mystery word came from King Tirian's marching song: "Ho rumble drum belabour'd". Only a couple of years ago, when I was in my mid-forties, did I twig that the word was pronounced "be-lay-bud". D'oh! #-o
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Ever got the wrong end of the stick?

Postby DawnTreader07 » Apr 02, 2012 11:23 am

King_Erlian wrote:When reading the Narnia books, have you ever read something which you completely misunderstood and only realised much later?

Oh my goodness, yes. This board has inspired me to re-read the Chronicles, and I am JUST NOW figuring out many things that I misunderstood as a child. The main one I remember:

When Jadis first met Edmund in LWW and he explains that "I opened a door and just found myself here." to which she replies, "A door! A door from the world of men! I have heard of such things."

Obviously, she was referring to a door which connected our world to Narnia, and saying that she had heard of such pathways before; but at the time I thought she was just making fun of doors in general, and I thought her quite stupid :ymblushing:

There were many others, but I don't recall them at the moment.
"Daughter, I have now lived a hundred and nine winters in this world and have never yet met any such thing as Luck. There is something about all this that I do not understand: but if ever we need to know it, you may be sure that we shall."
DawnTreader07
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lilygloves » Apr 12, 2012 9:11 pm

I used to listen to the Focus on the Family radio drama version of the series when I was little (and of course still do), and there was this one part in MN that I always misinterpreted. Digory said, "wait.. something's coming to me" and then they both said, "Uncle Andrew!" and for some reason I thought Uncle Andrew was literally coming to them because he had gone through the pool. I don't know why I thought that. I also assumed that Lucy was angry when the professor said she wasn't "mad", which is weird because I knew "mad" means "crazy".
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Hermitess of Narnia » Jun 29, 2012 12:40 pm

I used to take Eustace's line to Jill, "So keep your hair on!" as a reference to the condition of her hair, like, that she might get so mad at him that they might start chasing each other around the castle and mess up their hair. I have since learned that it is just an expression.
Hermitess of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 11, 2012 4:16 pm

DawnTreader07 wrote:
King_Erlian wrote:When reading the Narnia books, have you ever read something which you completely misunderstood and only realised much later?

When Jadis first met Edmund in LWW and he explains that "I opened a door and just found myself here." to which she replies, "A door! A door from the world of men! I have heard of such things."

Obviously, she was referring to a door which connected our world to Narnia, and saying that she had heard of such pathways before; but at the time I thought she was just making fun of doors in general, and I thought her quite stupid :ymblushing:

=)) Now I wish that really was what it meant.

One thing that used to confuse me was the "dead blue-bottle" on the window sill, in LWW. I didn't know until I saw the movie that a blue-bottle was a fly! ;)) I always wondered, "... How can a bottle be dead?" :))

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Jul 12, 2012 2:06 am

Ithilwen wrote:I didn't know until I saw the movie that a blue-bottle was a fly! I always wondered, "... How can a bottle be dead?"

When a blue-bottle is the name of a sort of poisonously stinging jellyfish, prevalent in Oz waters, Ithy? :-o

Like King_Erlian, I, too became acquainted with LWW when about 6 or 7. I was at boarding school which allowed us time before 'lights out' to talk to each other. One of the older girls in my dormitory had borrowed LWW from the school library and was telling us all the gist of the story. Except that when she said there were coats hanging in the wardrobe, for some reason I thought there were cakes there instead, especially when Susan and Peter investigated Lucy's claims about going to Mr Tumnus' place for afternoon tea.

I was most disappointed to find out when I finally read the book for myself that no cakes were ever mentioned. :((
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby De_De » Jul 14, 2012 6:13 am

Ithilwen wrote:
One thing that used to confuse me was the "dead blue-bottle" on the window sill, in LWW. I didn't know until I saw the movie that a blue-bottle was a fly! ;)) I always wondered, "... How can a bottle be dead?" :))

Oh he was talking about the fly :-o :-o :-o Wow, I always imagined an old bottle there!!! Thanks for the clarification :D
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Anfinwen » Jul 14, 2012 6:38 am

I always thought that in MN when the children were trying to take the witch back to Charn they just jumped into the wrong pool. It took me a while to figure out that, since Strawberry had stepped into a pool to take a drink, as soon as Polly changed rings they automatically went through that pool.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Aravanna » Jul 14, 2012 8:27 pm

Oh my goodness DawnTreader07! I laughed out loud when I read your post. I don't even know what's so funny about it. :))

Well, I remember in third grade, Mr. Rodriguez read all of us kids LLW, and we had quite a debate about what a "sticky marmalade roll" was. (As mentioned in "A Day with the Beavers.") I still picture it as a bunt cake with orange marmalade. No idea if that's even close, or how bunt cakes and Narnia ended up together in my imagination.
Aravanna
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 14, 2012 9:59 pm

Ithilwen wrote:One thing that used to confuse me was the "dead blue-bottle" on the window sill, in LWW. I didn't know until I saw the movie that a blue-bottle was a fly! ;)) I always wondered, "... How can a bottle be dead?" :))

Oh goodness, I'm not alone--I thought the same thing! =)) I don't really remember when I had the "Ah ha! So THAT'S what it is!" moment, but I can remember thinking it was a strange thing for Lewis to add. ;))
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Jul 15, 2012 5:24 am

Back in the early days of NarniaWeb, we had a great thread about the 'blue-bottle' in LWW. There was even a poll with a variety of options. I always thought the dead blue-bottle (on the window sill) was a jellyfish. I realise not all Aussies thought the same as I did (Clipsie didn't) but I found the thread to be absolutely hilarious. One of my favourites, if not my favourite.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby narnialuver » Jul 21, 2012 12:17 pm

this happens to me all the time with movies and books. It just shows there is a reason for reading things twice

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012
narnialuver
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Adeona » Jun 25, 2013 1:30 pm

I only realized that the sea-people in VDT are full-sized while discussing the upcoming film here on NWeb - I think it was Pauline Baynes' illustrations that somehow lead me to believe that the sea-people were tiny; small enough to ride regular-sized sea-horses. :ymblushing: Terrible, I know. Glad to find that I'm not the only one with odd idea about Narnia!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby lionsmane13 » Jun 25, 2013 2:30 pm

When I first read the books I had no idea what Turkish Delight was, for some reason I thought it was some kind of turkey. It wasn’t until the films that I finally realized what it really was. A friend of mine had a much bigger misunderstanding though. He has never read the books, but has only seen the Walden Media films. When he first saw the trailer for LWW, he actually thought that the wardrobe was a waterfall! =))
lionsmane13
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Lady Haleth » Jun 30, 2013 11:04 am

I'm not sure, but I think a marmalade roll sounds kind of like a jelly roll to me. It's a big rolled-up pastry with jelly or jam inside. I've made them before, and they're quite delicious. :)
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jul 17, 2013 5:43 pm

When I read VDT for the first time, I did not have much knowledge of British English, but for the most part, I understood the book fine. Though I remember in the part before Lucy reads the magician's book to turn the Dufflepuds visible again (if I remember right, it's been awhile), there's a description of Lucy feeling like she woke up before a dentist visit or an examination. I was confused, wondering why Lewis had wrote down what I thought was the same thing twice. I later learned examination could also mean test.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next