This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Themes in Horse and His Boy

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Themes in Horse and His Boy

Postby Lady Rosalia » Feb 06, 2012 11:22 am

I don't know if this is already a non-locked listed topic, (feel free to put it somewhere pertinent if it is :), but what were your favorite themes, scenes, people, places, lessons, least favorite characters, why, allegories, etc.
It is one of my favorite stories in the series, and I can hardly wait to hear your thoughts on it! I'll try and post more later once I know where this'll be on the forum.
"Not all that is called progress moves us forward." - H.K. Ward
"Aslan's instructions always work, there are no exceptions."
-Puddleglum
Lady Rosalia
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Themes in Horse and His Boy

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Feb 06, 2012 1:46 pm

Hello Lady Rosalia! I'm glad that you've found a Narnian forum that you can call home! It can be rather vexing to others when you're constantly talking about Narnia. . . *sigh*. . . if only they understood ;)).

I do not know of any other thread on this topic, so it's perfectly fine staying where it is. Just so you know, you can search the forum for similar topics, by clicking on the search tab at the top of each forum's page.

As for my favourite theme, it would probably be "Unbelonging" or "Not fitting in." Shasta has grown up his entire life thinking that he was a misfit or an outcast, but found out that Aslan had been orchestrating that ever since his birth.

Anybody who has been considered an outcast in this life can certainly relate to these ideas, and can find comfort in them.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Feb 06, 2012 2:40 pm

It is really nice to meet you, Lady Rosalia. HHB is my favourite Narnia story, too. The bit I love best is King Lune's initial greeting of Shasta.

I can't think of anything more glorious than the way this loving father instinctively recognises his missing son, and the loving pride King Lune shows in Shasta's accomplishments. Sort of like the return of the prodigal son? And also definitely a coming home theme.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Lady Rosalia » Feb 07, 2012 6:32 pm

Thank you so much for how welcoming you are to a newbie! It is such fun hearing your thoughts on such a great story. I still wonder why no one's made a movie of it.
One of my favorite themes in it was seeing how Aslan was weaving even the adversity in Prince Cor, Bree, Hwin, and Aravis's lives into something so beautiful how it helped so many people. He had been there all along, even when things seemed worst.
I also liked how they all blossomed on the journey to Narnia.
Who were your favorite characters in it, and why?
-Puddleglum
Lady Rosalia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Feb 07, 2012 6:54 pm

My favourite character is Hwin, because she's the only one who doesn't really change over the voyage. She's humble right from the start, and I'd say that she's underestimated even more than Shasta is, and yet she is the one who receives perhaps Aslan's highest honour.

It really ties in with the theme of pride, which I consider to be the unifying theme in the book.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Lady Rosalia » Feb 09, 2012 12:30 pm

Thanks! I never realized how central the theme of pride vs. humility are in the book! How could I have missed that? It makes me think of "whoever exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted"
I think that Hwin did recieve Aslan's highest honor, and was probably the most sensible of them all. :)
My favorite character is Prince Cor, followed closely by Aravis. I loved how brave they both were, and how even after Aravis had been so condescending to him, he was willing to face a lion for her, and be so gracious to her even after he was crown prince.
As to Aravis, I admired her even at the beginning to stand for what she believed was right, and act upon it. I also admired how quick thinking she was, and how patiently she endured Lasaraleen :) It was great how, once she realized she had been wrong in her attitudes towards, and treatment of others she was willing to admit it and apologize. (And tell the story of the lion to King Lune for Cor's sake, though it meant embarressment to herself)
What were the most significant moments in the story?
-Puddleglum
Lady Rosalia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby King_Erlian » Feb 10, 2012 8:15 am

The Horse And His Boy is my favourite Narnia story too.

For me, the main theme of the book is Faith. Shasta doesn't know anything about what lies to the north of Arsheesh's hut but goes along with Bree because he trusts what Bree tells him about Narnia. Similarly Aravis trusts what Hwin tells her. It's a bit like trusting what people tell us about the Kingdom of Heaven, when we've no way of knowing what it's really like till we get there.
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lilygloves » Feb 26, 2012 7:49 pm

My favorite part in the whole book is when Aslan reveals to Shasta how he was in control of everything. It shows me how God uses even difficult situations for His perfect purpose and how everything is according to God's plan. God uses hard times to bring people together, He comforts us, He protects us, He refines us, and protects us through everything.

Another part of the book I love is how all the characters end up the opposite as they were before and it's for the better. Shasta was undignified and used to being on his own, but he ended up a prince that rushed at a lion to save his friend. Aravis and Bree were both proud but were humbled at the end and Aravis learned to be less materialistic. Hwin was shy, but later on she took charge and became bold.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lady Rosalia » Mar 03, 2012 5:42 pm

I just finished re-reading The Horse and His Boy aloud to my brother a few days ago! We'd both read it before and are Narnia fans. To top it off, we each think HHB is one of the best in the series.
One thing that struck me this time through was how seemingly unrelated things came together into a beautiful picture for all the main characters. Aslan had His plan all the way through, and while He most certainly did not cause most of the difficulties the characters faced, He is big enough to use them all to make a far better outcome for each life.
I also thought it was almost a story of redemption. Certainly for Bree, Aravis, and Shasta. Even Hwin, as she is returning to her land and, after having been discounted and overlooked, turns out to be the closest to Aslan.
How enjoyable it was to see the characters so well portrayed, (as I am writing my first book, I certainly appreciate that!) and the lessons taught very well, too. This time through, I was paying more attention to Aravis. (The first time I read it, I could hardly stand her at the beginning. She seemed so spoiled and heartless) So, alot of my thoughts in this post are about her!
Did anyone else think that Lasaraleen was less feminine than Aravis? I thought that in her (Lasaraleen's) attempts to be super-feminine, she had almost missed it all.
I thought it was also interesting that Bree and Aravis had to come to the end of themselves to really admire Shasta when he was the only one who could take the message to King Lune. What I mean is, they thought they were so much more capable than he was, and yet they were unable to finish the mission with him. Also, it is after Aravis comes to in the Hermit's home that she says some of her first nice things about Shasta. And she tries to convince Bree that an apology really is better than going back into slavery :) Could it be that the Hermit's encouragement to Bree was also intended for Aravis? I thought that perhaps it was shown most clearly that Aravis had come full circle when she told the story of Shasta rushing at the Lion to King Lune. If she told half of it, she'd have to tell it all, and talk about embarrasment! Dear girl, I really like her. :)
It was also an interesting contrast between the Tisroc and Rabadash on one hand, and King Lune (and King Edmund and Queen Lucy) on the other. For the latter three, they knew they were to be servant leaders, and tried to act the part.
Great book, and now we've just started another of our favorites: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
-Puddleglum
Lady Rosalia
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby stargazer » Mar 06, 2012 1:36 pm

HHB is my favorite Narnia book so I've enjoyed reading other readers' comments about its themes.

I have lots of favorite parts and quotes in this book but like Lilygloves, one I like best is the revelation that Aslan has been working in Shasta's life - even when the boy didn't know it - to make things work out properly. Aslan has protected him, comforted him, and even saved his life, all for this moment.

So this statement of Aslan's sovereignty is among my favorite quotes in all the Chronicles :

I was the lion who forced you to join with Aravis. I was the cat who comforted you among the houses of the dead. I was the lion who drove the jackals from you while you slept. I was the lion who gave the Horses the new strength of fear for the last mile so that you should reach King Lune in time. And I was the lion you do not remember who pushed the boat in which you lay, a child near death, so that it came to shore where a man sat, wakeful at midnight, to receive you.

Shortly after this comes another description that can give me goose bumps:

Then instantly the pale brightness of the mist and the fiery brightness of the Lion rolled themselves together into a swirling glory and gathered themselves up and disappeared.

On a lighter note (as the opening post also inquired about favorite scenes and the like), the chapter in which Aravis and Lasaraleen overhear the Tisroc's plotting is really funny. I especially noticed this when I listened to a friend read it aloud - great slapstick humor.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby johobbit » Mar 16, 2012 12:00 pm

Good topic, Lady Rosalia. :)

I have very much enjoyed reading what The Horse and His Boy has meant to y'all, and I echo much of what each of you wrote, particularly emphasizing Lilygloves and stargazer: the theme of how God orchestrates the events in our lives—every one, according to the purpose of His will, and that He is caring for us through it all. Nothing slips by without His allowing it, and working it together for our good, even though it's really tough to see sometimes from our very limited perspectives. The passages stargazer quoted above are some of my favourites in all the Chronicles. And if I could add a bit that comes just prior to your second quote, which also brings on those goosebumps ...

[Shasta] turned and saw, pacing beside him, taller than the horse, a Lion. The horse did not seem to be afraid of it or else could not see it. It was from the Lion that the light came. No one ever saw anything more terrible or beautiful. ... But after one glance at the at the Lion's face he slipped out of the saddle and fell at its feet. He couldn't say anything but then he didn't want to say anything, and he knew he needn't say anything.
The High King above all kinds stooped toward him. Its mane, and some strange and solemn perfume that that hung about the mane, was all round him. It touched his forehead with its tongue. He lifted his face and their eyes met.

Whenever I need a strong reminder in the direction of God's sovereignty, I'll pull out my Bible and chapter 11, "The Unwelcome Fellow Traveler", of THaHB. :)

As for favourite scenes:

*when the "lions" chase the two horses and humans together
*the whole mix-up of Shasta and Corin
*for humour and intensity, where Aravis and Lasaraleen overhear the secret plans
*Shasta among the tombs, waiting
*when Shasta goes back to help Aravis and Hwin
*Bree finally meeting Aslan, who actually is a real—The real—Lion! ;))
*Rabadash's trial, and the end ... result :P

Characters:
*Shasta: I love how he, through many challenges, fears, confusion, and wanderings, grows through it all. The over-arching care and purpose of Aslan in his life is amazing to see.
*Hwin: her gentle and wise nature is such a joy.
*Bree makes me laugh, but in a somewhat introspective way, as I can relate to his pride and stubborness. :P
*Aravis is an interesting character, and I like how she mellows and becomes less prideful eventually, but I somehow don't feel drawn to her in the same way as with Shasta.
*Lasaraleen: *rolls eyes* She's an utterly annoying hoot! ;))

(FotF's radio theatre adaptation of this story is wonderful!)
johobbit

Postby Dinode » Jul 10, 2012 7:53 pm

I like the FotF version too. One of my interesting part of the book is when Bree is explaining why Aslan couldn't possibly be a lion while Aslan is sneaking up behind him.

He had assumed since he had been born in Narnia that he knew all about it, only to be confronted by how little he actually knew.

You could also argue that he was trying to reinterpret reality in a way that made sense to him (like some people do when reading the Bible) only to find that the tales about Aslan were true in a literal sense. His arguments for why they couldn't be taken literally were mostly because he couldn't picture Aslan as a "mere" beast, like how some people say God would never come as a human.
Seeking comic book artist, PM for details.
Dinode
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian_Archer » Jul 11, 2012 8:20 am

Oh, boy, a thread dedicated to A Horse and His Boy!!!!!!!! My favorite book!!!! (jumps up and down with delight!!)

My favorite characters would be Shasta and Aravis. I love Aravis' wit, bravery, courage, and the fact that she runs away dressed as a boy! She is proud and haughty at the beginning, but that's expected since she is a Tarkheena, and she changes later on, which makes me like her all the more! And Shasta/Cor...well, honestly, I sort of feel sorry for him all throughout the book. It does sort of seem that he is getting the worst of everything (until Aslan comes and explains everything, which makes it all the better, and everything turns out the best way possible towards the end!!)

My favorite theme is definitely the fact that all the lions Shasta kept facing were in fact one lion - Aslan. We have so much of that in our lives - there are so many times when something bad happens and we think it's for the worst and that everything has gone completely wrong, when God just turns everything around and it all works out for the best, and we later realize that if that "bad thing" had never happened, we would be much worse off!! I also really liked how the relations between the Tisroc, Rabadash, and the Vizier were all played out - all of them caring only about themselves and yet phrasing it all in this flowery language pretending to look out for the needs of the other. It's so hypocritical, which makes it so ridiculously funny, and yet a little sad to know that there are so many people like that in this world.

I have to admit, I'm most looking forward to a film of "A Horse And His Boy", and hoping beyong hope that it will someday come to be. It does seem unlikely and I feel I will be an old grandmother before all the rights issues with Walden Media are resolved, but even if I watch it as an old grandmother, I'll be satisfied! :)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 13, 2012 6:44 pm

Courage might be one of the themes of the book.

It takes courage for both Shasta and Aravis to break out of their established existance - although for both of them it was going to be disrupted anyway, but they both chose to take their fate into their own hands, and venture into the unknown. Encouraged by their horse, in both cases - but I'd say it would still take some courage.

Then Aravis shows courage when she and Lasaraleen have overheard Rabadash's plans against Archenland and Narnia. Lasaraleen claims that she is too shaken to do any more that night, but Aravis has courage enough to go on with her plan and escape from the palace, thus being able to bring the information she has got to the others.

And Shasta shows courage when he tries to defend Aravis against what he thinks is a dangerous lion. You might even say that courage is a quality which is present when he runs ahead of Rabadash's army to warn the King of Archenland. He is on a dangerous mission, but he sticks to it, and he succeeds.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Glumpuddle » Jul 14, 2012 6:01 am

I think this is the defining line in the book:
Sometimes if Arsheesh was there Shasta would say, "O my Father, what is there beyond that hill?"
[...]
Shasta thought that beyond the hill there must be some delightful secret which his father wished to hide from him.
--HHB, Ch. 1

Shasta can't explain it, but he has grown up with a strange feeling that something is not right...
He had often been uneasy because, try as he might, he had never been able to love the fisherman, and he knew that a boy ought to love his father.
--HHB, Ch. 1

Shasta has always lived with the fisherman. He has no reason to believe he belongs anywhere else... but there is still something in his bones that tells him something isn't right. He was meant for something greater... but what? HHB is his journey discovering the world he has always been sheltered from, and finding his true home.
"Oh hurrah!" said Shasta. "Then we'll go North. I've been longing to go to the North all my life."
"Of course you have," said the Horse. "That's because of the blood that's in you. I'm sure you're true Northern stock."
--HHB, Ch.1

This theme of longing runs through the whole series. Caspian's longing for the old days to return in PC, Reepicheep's longing for Aslan's Country (his heart's desire), Digory's hope of finding a cure for his mother in another world, the entire third act of The Last Battle...

Other Shasta-like characters in fiction: Luke Skywalker in Star Wars, Neo in The Matrix, WALL-E in WALL-E, Quaid in Total Recall, Truman in The Truman Show...

On some days, HHB is my favorite book. I love Shasta's arc and the story. And I think this book has Lewis' best dialogue.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Varnafinde » Jul 14, 2012 1:53 pm

glumPuddle wrote:This theme of longing runs through the whole series. Caspian's longing for the old days to return in PC, Reepicheep's longing for Aslan's Country (his heart's desire), Digory's hope of finding a cure for his mother in another world, the entire third act of The Last Battle...

Very good point.
Longing was a recurring theme through much of Lewis' life as well. He felt a longing towards something he didn't quite know what was - he sometimes spoke of it as joy, sometimes talked about northernness ... It was something he could feel as a pang at times, but only something to slip from his grasp and still have to be longed for. His biography Surprised by Joy tells about his way towards finding its true source.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Next