This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

First Read of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

First Read of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Postby Highdruid_Cairns » Dec 15, 2011 6:57 am

So after finishing The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, I must say I rather enjoyed it. While it was simple, and not really too in depth (which was not a bad thing, just different then I'm used to) the story flowed smoothly from start to finish.

Some favorite characters from the book were definitely Lucy, but she was also a favorite from the movies. Which I have seen the first three, so I am spoiled a bit on the storyline of the first three books but that should'nt ruin the enjoyment of reading for me.
Highdruid_Cairns
NarniaWeb Newbie

Re: First Read of The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Dec 16, 2011 12:32 pm

HC (do you mind if I call you that?), I'm so happy for you as you are entering into the world of Narnia for your first time. Yes the books are a bit simplistic, but that just adds to the charm and nostalgia that I have for them. The books really are so much better than the movies, and I'm so excited for you as you continue on your journey to Narnia. Keep us posted!
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Ithilwen » Dec 17, 2011 5:55 am

Wow, this is so amazing to see a fan new to the books! :D I've met many people on here who read them long ago, or have read them all. It will be interesting to see them from a new and fresh perspective. I hope you'll continue to post your thoughts as you make your way through the series. :) And I hope you enjoy them as much as I did. :)

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Anhun » Dec 17, 2011 7:11 am

For my part, I actively disliked the cardboard cut-out simplicity of the first two books. I was inspired to read the series by seeing the BBC mini-series of the Silver Chair, so I wanted to read the first three to get any background that might be in the books, but not the shows. Otherwise, I might have stopped after LWW, and I would definitely have stopped after PC, which has even duller characters than LWW, with a redundant plot line to boot.

I feel that Lewis didn't hit his stride as a children's author until VDT, his first admission that children can be psychologically complex, too. If you've seen either of the film versions, you will not be prepared for what an exciting adventure the book is.
Anhun
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lilygloves » Dec 17, 2011 4:20 pm

I agree with Ithilwen, it's really cool to meet new Narnia fans. Are you going to read any more Narnia books? Don't worry about spoiling the books by watching the movies; the books have a charm and excitement that no movie could ever capture! Everyone from NarniaWeb encourages you to keep reading on and we would be happy to hear your thoughts and opinions on the forums. :D
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Highdruid_Cairns » Dec 17, 2011 6:43 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone!

I am indeed going to read all the series! I really enjoyed the movies and so with some birthday money I purchased a paperback boxset of them all.

I'm currently on chapter 5 of Prince Caspian, and it's much better than the movie! It's already going more in depth with the background and story.

And yes, ya'll can call me HC, that's fine. :)
Highdruid_Cairns
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby wolfloversk » Dec 26, 2011 9:29 pm

That's awesome that your reading them HC. I feel I should give you the warning though that the main characters change throughout the series, but you likely already know this if you've seen PC and VDT. It's not a bad thing, just different from what I expected when I first read them. I'm glad to see you are enjoying them so far.

Though I still thought the first two good children's books, I agree with Anhun that the series gets even better as you go on. I hope you continue to enjoy them!
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Ithilwen » Dec 26, 2011 9:53 pm

Highdruid_Cairns wrote:I am indeed going to read all the series! I really enjoyed the movies and so with some birthday money I purchased a paperback boxset of them all.

I'm currently on chapter 5 of Prince Caspian, and it's much better than the movie! It's already going more in depth with the background and story.

That's great! :) I'm glad you're enjoying it. Prince Caspian is actually my favorite of the Chronicles. I didn't think the movie did it justice.

So happy you're enjoying your reading. :D

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Dec 27, 2011 9:52 am

I'm glad we have a new Narnia fan in the upbringing. :) I find it too bad most kids don't find interest in them anymore.

The Narnia series is a truly magical experience. Like the Pevensies, by knowing Aslan a little there, I know Him even better here. ;)

I hope you enjoy the rest of the books as much as everyone else here!
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie