This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

do you think that there are wizards on narnia?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

do you think that there are wizards on narnia?

Postby wizardjna » Sep 16, 2011 7:57 pm

i just know that the only person who used magic was the White witch, so what do you think? are there wizards on narnia?
Make your choice, adventurous Stranger; Strike the bell and bide the danger, Or
wonder, till it drives you mad, What would have followed if you had.
wizardjna
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: do you think that there are wizards on narnia?

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 16, 2011 8:51 pm

I don't understand your question, it doesn't have any focus.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 17, 2011 10:30 am

I think that there were. Magic is so common in Narnia that there are doubtless wizards and witches. The problem with that, is that in our world anybody who uses magic is considered a witch or a wizard. By that logic, we could consider Dr. Cornelius to be a wizard, because he uses magic and his crystal ball to divine information. In Narnia, he probably isn't considered a wizard, but in our world, I think he would be.

Interesting topic.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Sep 17, 2011 10:38 am

I guess Coriakin was closest to the thing I consider a "wizard" in Narnia, but he was specified as a magician. Unless they are the same thing, but I don't really think that any actual wizards are in Narnia.

Could you please be a little more specific with your question please? I would maybe give a better answer.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Aravis Narnia » Sep 17, 2011 5:46 pm

Yes, wouldn't Coriakin be a wizard?

Although he may be closer to what was called a Magus in ancient times. A well educated man who had vast knowledge about the sciences, arts and letters. He may have known things about medicine and science that the average person would not know- and thus they would think he did magic, when it was simply science.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ChristProclamer » Sep 18, 2011 7:30 am

I don't think there are the Harry Potter/Gandalf type of wizards in Narnia, no.

Narnian magic seems to be more of a tool that can be used by anyone than a power that a chosen few possess. So a Narnian 'wizard' would simply be a person who makes frequent use of the tools of magic. So Coriakin and Cornelius could be called wizards, yes. And Cornelius implies in PC that there are people who are much more advanced than he in magic, so there must have been others like him.

Similarly, the White Witch's powers don't seem to stem from herself; it's all in the tools she carries. A magic wand, a magic bottle, a magic phrase, etc. In Charn she mentions that everyone used magic once upon a time, implying that it was just a tool, not a superpower in that world as well.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wizardjna » Sep 18, 2011 10:03 am

i beg your pardon Warrior 4 Jesus :-s but I was trying to say that if there could be wizards like Gandalf or something. I really liked ChristProclamer response. Narnia's magic is not something that some people possess. But it seems that the magic of Narnia is direrente than the magic of our world
Make your choice, adventurous Stranger; Strike the bell and bide the danger, Or
wonder, till it drives you mad, What would have followed if you had.
wizardjna
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby daughter of the King » Sep 18, 2011 12:01 pm

ChristProclamer wrote:In Charn she mentions that everyone used magic once upon a time, implying that it was just a tool, not a superpower in that world as well.

But doesn't she also say that the royal blood line of Charn always had magic and that they had eliminated people like Uncle Andrew who only learned magic from books? This would seem to imply that in Charn magic could be learned, but magic also existed inherently in some people, which would make it a bit of a superpower.

I do agree that Coriakin and Cornelius would be considered wizards in our world even if they aren't in Narnia, but what about Bacchus? Are the things he and his wild girls do considered magic? Or, are their capabilities just beyond the other Narnians' comprehensions? Would they react like Galadriel in Lord of the Rings and wonder what people mean by magic?
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Lilygloves » Sep 18, 2011 1:40 pm

daughter of the King wrote:But doesn't she also say that the royal blood line of Charn always had magic and that they had eliminated people like Uncle Andrew who only learned magic from books? This would seem to imply that in Charn magic could be learned, but magic also existed inherently in some people, which would make it a bit of a superpower.

Very good point. It could be that magic is a talent that some people posses more than others, but it does seem to be something that can be studied and learned. In regards to Charn, it could be that they didn't want just anyone to learn. It could be very secretive, and a subject that was passed down for royalty to learn. So I suppose there could be wizards, depending on your definition of wizard.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 29, 2011 3:24 pm

Well there are witches (WW, LotGK) and magicians (Coriakin, Cornelius), but I don't think there's any Gandalf/Merlin type wizards in Narnia. Narnian magic seems different in a way, even from that which Merlin uses in That Hideous Strength. It seems more like tools/miracles than powers.

There was however Uncle Andrew's Godmother... I've always wondered what her back story was... :-\
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby narnialuver » Nov 08, 2011 12:31 pm

first of all we never see them in the books and new narnia is like heaven. So there are no bad people in new Narnia. So no witches but maybe wizards. I am not sure.

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012
narnialuver
NarniaWeb Nut