This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Technology in Narnia

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: Technology in Narnia

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 03, 2011 4:57 am

Tea and coffee are fine for Narnia. Tea can be made by merely putting tea leaves into hot water and then sifting out the leaves with a strainer. Coffee can be made by merely crushing the coffee beans in hot water, and then straining similarly.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby wolfloversk » Oct 03, 2011 6:28 am

Also there were fireworks in Narnia (in PC the book), though I'm pretty sure that on earth fireworks are a rather ancient inventions in themselves. I think one of the pedaled sewing machines would fit the description good :) Also there's the lamppost, but we all know how that got there ;)
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Hien » Oct 04, 2011 6:35 am

Coffee can be made by merely crushing the coffee beans in hot water, and then straining similarly.

:-o ...that is to say - first you roast the beans, then grind them, then mix them somehow with the boiling-hot water. (I hand-grind coffee beans pretty well every day. :) ).

Technology - well, there were pulleys, levers (both of which would be needed on the Dawn Treader) and there was pretty advanced optics, for telescopes and spectacles. Oh, and advanced steel-making, of course, not just iron-working. I think we can be pretty certain about looms, too, though I can't recall mention of one right now...
Hien
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Graymouser » Oct 04, 2011 4:50 pm

And cuckoo clocks, which require a pretty sophisticated level of mechanics (mid-17th C in our world).
The difference is that people wanted to hear the stories, whereas I never met anyone who wanted to read the essays
Graymouser
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnialuver » Nov 06, 2011 6:46 am

I like Narnia how it is. with no tech stuff (accept for flashlights) and at the end of LB no more old narnia. so there might be some tech in new narnia.

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012
narnialuver
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Dec 21, 2011 8:41 am

hansgeorg wrote:By the way, the cosmetics used by King Tirian to look like Calormenes would be some chemotechnical advance, I think.

I wouldn't go that far. It could be a recent Narnian discovery, but people have been using dyes (both for skin and clothing) for a VERY long time.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Varnafinde » Feb 12, 2012 6:55 pm

Hien wrote:
Coffee can be made by merely crushing the coffee beans in hot water, and then straining similarly.

:-o ...that is to say - first you roast the beans, then grind them, then mix them somehow with the boiling-hot water. (I hand-grind coffee beans pretty well every day. :) ).

Or you mix them with cold water (or just pour water on top of them, no need to stir) and then boil the mixture. When it is just at the boiling point, it is ready to be poured and drunk. Use a strainer.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Feb 16, 2012 12:51 pm

MOD NOTE: We're getting a bit sidetracked off of the topic at hand. I have no problem talking about how technologies developed in this world, so long as their relation to the Narnian World is what is being discussed. We've taken the coffee discussion a lot farther away from the Narnian World than should be permitted by forum rules.

Let's try to get back to "Narnian Technologies."
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby Varnafinde » Mar 11, 2012 10:14 am

If they had something like that, I guess it would have been the centaurs who were running it :) They seem to me to have been the ones who would have been most interested in such technology and what it could be used for.
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Previous