This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Interesting things you noticed while reading the books

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: Interesting things you noticed while reading the books

Postby ChristProclamer » Nov 03, 2009 8:54 pm

Riley Tea:That didn't technically happen, becuase Lewis never wrote about it. In the original Pauline Baynes illustration for Aslan and Jadis' council, Aslan stands upright and wears a golden crown. She never drew him like that after. I never liked that particular picture, becuase it seemed very un-lionish, un-kingly, and just silly, I suppose...I didn't like it. Beavers standing up is one thing. Aslan is another.
I think it's highly unlikely that Christmas began with Frank and Helen, since Father Christmas apparently visited Narnia often in those old days. What I wonder is, where does Father Christmas come from?
Also--in PC Peter uses a compass. But in VoDT Caspian says the world is flat. How would a compass work in a flat world?
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian_at_heart » Nov 04, 2009 10:53 am

ChristProclamer wrote: Also--in PC Peter uses a compass. But in VoDT Caspian says the world is flat. How would a compass work in a flat world?

That's interesting. It was probably just a Lewis slip-up.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Watziznehm » Nov 04, 2009 11:12 am

Actually Lewis didn't outright say that his world was flat, he just sorta hinted that it might be.
Sig by greenleaf23.
Watziznehm
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ricasso » Nov 04, 2009 1:18 pm

ChristProclaimer wrote:Also--in PC Peter uses a compass. But in VoDT Caspian says the world is flat. How would a compass work in a flat world?

I don't think that a flat earth necessarily precludes the use of a compass. I think that the presence of a global magnetic field (and hence the ability to use a compass), would depend on the composition of the world in question.

This leads to another interesting thought: A flat world with a magnetic field could have one pole or two, depending on the orientation of the field. If the field was sideways, the inhabitants would have north and south poles, like us. If it was oriented vertically, however, there would only be one pole accessible. The other would be on the underside of the world.

Anyway, hope you find my scientific analysis of your question interesting!

View my Prince Caspian Photo Montage. Relive the experience!
Ricasso
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lucy P. » Nov 05, 2009 2:12 pm

Oh- the strangely humanoid Aslan is one of Pauline Baynes' illustrations, but Lewis doesn't describe him that way. :)

I wonder a lot about what the Unspeakable Word was in MN.

I also think it's really cool that every king after Caspian had star's blood in him. The last king Tirian was part star, even if that part was really tiny.

Ricasso- that's really interesting! Now I'm wonder whether Narnia was horizontal or on its side like Uranus.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby narnian_at_heart » Nov 05, 2009 4:38 pm

I've always wondered what the Unspeakable Word was too. I also wonder how they destroyed the Dark Island. Was there a spell on it so that once someone esaped/was rescued it sank into the sea?
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby ChristProclamer » Nov 05, 2009 7:05 pm

Ricasso: Wow, you obviously know a lot more about that sort of thing than me. Interesting, though. I always just assumed it wouldn't work, never thoguht about your possibilities.
I wish I could get my hands on some of those spells in Coriakin's book!
I always thought it was interesting that every king before Jadis had nymph or satyr or some other sort of creature's blood in them.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby GlimGlum » Nov 07, 2009 12:55 pm

Another good topic. :ymapplause: I've been wanting to share something for a while from The Silver Chair:

From Chapter 16 of The Silver Chair by C.S. Lewis wrote:"Why, I do believe," said Jill, glancing up at a white bundle of fluffy feathers which was perched on top of a grandfather clock in one corner of the cave, "I do believe it's Glimfeather!"

It occurred to me upon a recent reading of SC that a grandfather clock would probably be too intricate a mechanism for Narnian technolgy. One doesn't see anything like it anywhere else that I can think of. :|

And...what is it doing in the corner of a cave? :-\ I think a clock is mentioned in another story but can't remember which at the moment. Indeed, an interesting thing. :D
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Lucy Took » Nov 07, 2009 1:18 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:I've been wondering if the robin in LWW was Aslan or just a plain robin. I can't help but wonder what a robin was doing in Narnia in the middle of winter since they usually fly south. Since Lewis wrote “You couldn’t have found a robin with a redder chest or brighter eyes,” I concluded that it was not ordinary robin. I could be and likely about completely nuts to think it. (The one person I asked about it thought I was nuts 8-} ) Anyway, I thought I’d post it here. Feel free to agree with me or tell me I’m nuts. (I’m used to being call (whether verbal or by looks) nuts, crazy, and weird by now. ;) )

It also could have been a talking robin. I would imagine that they would have different habits.

And GlimGlum,we discussed this on TLC and came up with the idea that Narnia is more advanced then we like to think-it just does things in a very old fashioned way,because they like the way things are. Mrs. Beaver had a sewing machine,that's more modern than a clock!
Long live the Narnian Hobbits!
Proud member of the Caspian marries RD club!
Call me Tooky!
Lucy Took
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby polly plummer » Nov 08, 2009 2:32 pm

I don't think that it was written in LWW that Aslan worn a crown and walked like a human. I think I remember a picture of him like that though - I'm not sure. It did say that one of the leopards carried his crown and the other his scepter.
polly plummer
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lucy Took » Nov 09, 2009 8:23 am

Oh,and about the Deplorable word. There's a REASON we aren't told it! You wouldn't want to destroy the world,now would you? :-o or make people think you were insane by saying it when you were mad at them :p

Besides,I know what it is. It's "Mary Sue" ;) :p
Long live the Narnian Hobbits!
Proud member of the Caspian marries RD club!
Call me Tooky!
Lucy Took
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby polly plummer » Nov 09, 2009 10:17 am

ChristProclaimer wrote:I think it's highly unlikely that Christmas began with Frank and Helen, since Father Christmas apparently visited Narnia often in those old days.

But Helen and Frank appeared in Narnia on the first day it was created so how could Father Christmas have been a regular visitor to Narnia in those days? I'm not entirely sure where Father Christmas originated from to answer your question I think he was originally Saint Nicholas
polly plummer
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous