This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Best title

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which title is the best?

1. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
11%
2. Prince Caspian (The Return to Narnia)
2%
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
17%
4. The Silver Chair
6%
5. The Horse and His Boy
38%
6. The Magician's Nephew
13%
7. The Last Battle
13%

Total votes : 63

Best title

Postby Glumpuddle » Apr 03, 2011 9:33 pm

Which title in The Chronicles of Narnia do you think is the best?

Sometimes, I don't like the title of a book until after I read it. Are there any Narnia titles like that for you?

(First post with new avatar - #4346)
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Re: Best title

Postby Ithilwen » Apr 04, 2011 5:10 am

I voted for The Magician's Nephew. It just sounds so mysterious. Magicians are mysterious to begin with. You wonder what kind of magician he is; if he's good or evil. Then you wonder, but it's not about the Magician... it's about his nephew. Hmm... What makes the Nephew more special than the magician? And then you want to read and find out. ;)

The title I didn't much care for at first was The Silver Chair. At first I was thinking... a whole book about a chair? ;)) But I liked the book itself once I read it. :)

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Glumpuddle » Apr 04, 2011 12:06 pm

I voted LWW, because I think it has a wonderful "long ago, far away" quality to it somehow. And I think it's somewhat intriguing because you wonder including those three seemingly unconnected things together makes you wonder what the story is.

I really thought about voting HHB, because obviously it's ironic (a horse owning a boy?) and it describes Bree and Shasta's relationship perfectly.

I considered MN for the reasons Ithilwen gave.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 04, 2011 12:15 pm

I really like The Horse and His Boy. I think that it shows a really deep connection to the story in that it has a double meaning. On one hand, you've got a proud horse being tied through the title to a beggar boy. On the other hand, you've got a beggar boy being tied through the title to a war horse.

After Bree's transformation, and Shasta's "promotion," you get the same thing, only backwards. A future king tied to a humble horse, thus promoting humility as a royal, and a humble horse, tied to the crown, promoting responsibility.

I don't know, to me it just showed a TON of insight.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby wolfloversk » Apr 04, 2011 7:45 pm

Umm.... Ummmm..... um?

(*realizes that is not a title*)
Oi...

(*tries to think reeeaaaalllllllllyyyyy hard*)

uhhhh....

Ok... I don't think I can pick just one. Infact I don't think I can even say that any aren't as good as the others... So how does undecided sound? :ymblushing:
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Shy Galadriel » Apr 05, 2011 9:31 am

I picked the Horse and His Boy; before I even read any of the books that title was really funny to me. Of all the book titles it seems to stand out the most. I agree with gP that LWW is unique as well, but it didn't jerk my attention towards it like HHB did.
"What did you just say?"
"You need to read this book."
"No, what you called the book."
"The Horse and His Boy?"
"Don't you mean the Boy and His Horse?"
"Nope, that's the name."
"... Is it another Narnia book?"
"Yup."
"Gimme."
I dreamt that I dwelt in marble halls

<3 As you wish <3
Shy Galadriel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby stateofgreen » Apr 06, 2011 12:31 am

I picked VDT. I like LWW as a title but something about the orange Macmillan book cover of VDT was inviting. I don't know. I was a kid then. But then I read the book (as GP mentioned above not liking the title until reading the book) and then I thought the title was the best of them all.

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Boy Scout » Apr 06, 2011 5:29 pm

the last battle- it works the best with the contents for me. It is seriously the last battle, as in no more- never- and really not a lot else either.

It also works as its the last book .
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Radagast of Mirkwood » Apr 07, 2011 7:06 am

Great topic glumPuddle :D

The best, I think it is probably The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe it has just a mystery to it. What is the Lion? Who is the Witch? What on earth does a wardrobe have to do with it? It indicates three main characters in the story without giving anything away about the plot.

The worst, Silver Chair. I just think it is one event in the story, even if it is an important event. It doesn't really show the entire book.
Protector of the Birds and Beasts of Middle Earth.
Radagast of Mirkwood
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lion's Emblem » Apr 07, 2011 9:01 pm

Wow, that's a tough one. I've never really sat down to think about it, for of course, all the titles have grabbed my attention at one time or another.

I think that ultimately, and this is a really hard choice, I have to go with The Magician's Nephew. Mainly because, when paired with the cover illustration, the first time I picked up the book I had to wonder just who was the Magician's nephew. Was he from Narnia like Shasta or someone from this side of the door?, with even more speculation of who the Magician was.

If we want to go even deeper, I also really like the titles that were not choosen for the books, especially Night Falls on Narnia for The Last Battle. Maybe that's the best title :) .
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 09, 2011 6:49 pm

Horse and his boy, my least fav being silver chair.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby SnowAngel » Apr 12, 2011 1:41 pm

I like The Voyage of The Dawn Treader best. First because it's my favorite book and second it sounds very intriguing.

Boy Scout, I like the sounded of The Last Battle, too. But don't thinking I could ever pick as the best title, because my brother has an military book called The Last Battle.

SnowAngel
We are too prone to engrave our trials in marble
and write our blessings in sand. — C.H. Spurgeon
SnowAngel
Maiden of Monday Madness

Postby wild rose » Apr 15, 2011 12:35 pm

I went for The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, it's a very entising title, I think it is the best, it leaves you thinking 'a lion...interesting...a witch....cool...a wardrobe...huh....what does that mean...I think I should read it' :) second I like the titles The Last Battle
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 18, 2011 2:46 pm

I think VotDT is my favorite with HHB in close second :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby GlimGlum » Apr 18, 2011 3:42 pm

I voted for The Voyage of The Dawn Treader because I like that name for a ship and it sounds very adventerous (and probably because it's my favorite book). ;)

But The Magician's Nephew would be a close second now as the book and title have grown on me over time. :ymapplause:
Loyal2Tirian :)
There is definitely no "a" in definite.
The Mind earns by doing; the Heart earns by trying.
GlimGlum

Postby Conina » Apr 21, 2011 11:57 am

I voted for The Last Battle because of the idea that after this battle there would be no more battles. So when I first saw it I thought, "Why is the battle in this story the last?" Its intriguing as well as a promise.

My second favorites are MN and LWW for reasons mentioned. I didn't mind Silver Chair because in the story it added to the mystery and excitement for me when the chair comes up in the story. For a long time I was confused in it because there weren't any chairs mentioend for a very long time and I'd almost forgotten about the title when it came up.

My least favorite is probably Prince Caspian because it is just a name and not as much about the story.
"Reason is the natural order of truth; but imagination is the organ of meaning." -C.S. Lewis
Conina
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next