This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnian Pronunciations

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: Narnian Pronunciations

Postby i love w.a.s.g » Mar 25, 2011 9:57 am

I used to pronounce Eustace like E-use-tase or something weirder than that. I can't write it. :D I think the only name I had pronouncing issue was Eustace.

Then, Google Translate helped me to learn the real pronouncation and then the movie. :D

Avatar by lover of narnia | Signature by me
i love w.a.s.g
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mar 26, 2011 5:03 am

Yes, phonological language is all about phonetics. Maybe you guys in the US don't use the former term?

Narnian_Archer, please read my post. I clearly posted about Peepicheek and then commented on it being a fan-fiction name. The comment immediately followed the Peepicheek sentence, not the Aslan one.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Ithilwen » Mar 26, 2011 8:07 pm

^^ What does "fan-fiction name" mean? I'm not disagreeing, I just don't fully understand. :)

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby fireheart209 » Apr 13, 2011 9:20 pm

Ok just watched DT again. Somebody please tell me that it is not pronounced "cor-dee-all" the way Georgie says it in the movie. (as in "My healing cor-dee-all!" ) I don't remember her ever saying the word in the other movies. Am I crazy or is that not the way to pronouce "cordial"? It sounds very wrong.
fireheart209
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Ionic Bonding Rocks » Apr 13, 2011 11:37 pm

I never actually realised there was an 'N' in Ramandu... in fact, I was so certain of this that when I saw the movie, I thought they were pronouncing it wrong! Then I looked it up, and found out that all this time it was really pronounced Ram-AN-du rather than RAM-a-du. :ymblushing:
I also used to pronounce Aravis as Ar-AY-vis, but one of my friends informed me id was AR-a-vis. I don't know... :-\
And for ages, I thought you pronounced Eustace as OH-stace.
~Ionic
http://abookwormsopinion.blogspot.com
Set by Princess Anna
Ionic Bonding Rocks
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Lilygloves » Apr 25, 2011 8:43 am

I thought it was pronounced "Jah-dis", but then when I watched LWW they said Jay-dis". It still bothers me that they say it like that even though I don't know who's saying it right or not.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby IloveFauns » Apr 26, 2011 2:02 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I pronounce Aslan as Az-lan, not Ass-lan. I originally pronounced Peepiceek with an S because I was never all that good with phonilogical languages. Now it just strikes me as a seriously lame fan-fiction name. Sorry Mr Lewis, you messed up that one.

yeah the same with the aslan thing.

I have some funny ones for harry potter, not so much narnia.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby waggawerewolf27 » May 04, 2011 4:42 am

Lilygloves wrote:I thought it was pronounced "Jah-dis", but then when I watched LWW they said Jay-dis". It still bothers me that they say it like that even though I don't know who's saying it right or not.

I've listened to all the Focus on the family CD's, and yes, they pronounce the White Witch's given name as Jardis, or Jahdis, as you mention. The BBC CD's and productions all call her either Jaydis which is what I've always called her. Or Jadis sounding a bit like Jack.

Warrior4Jesus wrote:I pronounce Aslan as Az-lan, not Ass-lan.

So do I. Aslan, like Jadis, suffers a change of pronunciation in the Focus on the Family CDs compared with the BBC ones. The FotF CD's all call Aslan Asslan, whilst the BBC CD's all call Aslan Azlan. Or more particularly As_lan as in As with gladness men of old.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jul 26, 2011 12:50 pm

I've always pronounced Archenland as ar-ken-land, but does anybody know how it is pronounced in the movies or audiobooks? It's been awhile.

I always said Coriakin like co- ria- kin. I didn't like how they said his name in VDT.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lilygloves » Sep 03, 2011 8:58 am

I've listened to Focus on the Family so much it's hard for me to pronounce names without a British accent, like "Aslan" and "Archenland". I just can't shake it off.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous