This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Your Narnian Knowledge (or lack thereof) pet peeve.

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Your Narnian Knowledge (or lack thereof) pet peeve.

Postby checkers » Sep 19, 2010 4:19 pm

Mods, if there's a problem with this, it belongs somewhere else, or there's already a thread like this, please point me in the right direction. :)
Okay, so I was just wondering what bugs you the most that people don't know about Narnia. I mean like people that have seen the movies, read a book or two. And they don't know something that's so obvious to you as a Narnia fan. For example, mine is, when people think Mr. Tumnus' name is Mr. Thomas. When people call him Thomas it drives me CRAZY. :P Guess I'm just obsessed. ;) So what are some of ya'll's? :)
Co-president of the BGMCA club. <--- don't remember what that was but I left it for the nostalgia
Buds: 5, Twin Blank! <--- also don't remember who Twin Blank was. Find me if you're out there, lost one.
checkers
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Your Narnian Knowledge (or lack thereof) pet peeve.

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 19, 2010 5:22 pm

One thing that drives me bonkers amongst movie fans is that The Professor = Mr. Tumnus and Mrs. Macready = The White Witch. I don't know if they think this to be a literal transformation (through some biological transformation not yet discovered by earthly science), or if they're merely convinced that the Pevensie's whole life in Narnia was a dream, and that Tumnus and the White Witch were merely manifestations of their current situation. . . but either way it irks me.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby checkers » Sep 20, 2010 9:24 am

I've actually never heard that one before...but wow, that's interesting!!! :P Another one of mine that has bugged me to no end are some friends of mine who thought (I'm not sure if they still do or not) that the White Witch turned creatures to ice, not stone, because they claimed Tumnus was melting when Susan, Lucy and Aslan found him. :P
Co-president of the BGMCA club. <--- don't remember what that was but I left it for the nostalgia
Buds: 5, Twin Blank! <--- also don't remember who Twin Blank was. Find me if you're out there, lost one.
checkers
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lion's Emblem » Sep 20, 2010 9:10 pm

What drives me crazy is when Narnia is compared to Harry Potter. All the newspaper articles and reviews always go back to Harry Potter when talking about Narnia (i.e. the train station in PC is referenced as being taken from HP). I was especially irked when a recent review of upcoming fall/winter season films gave HP prase while scolding VDT because it was "just another sequel". As if HP would do well because it's a film from a book series while VDT would not beacuse it was just another sequel (as if the writer has no clue that Narnia is a series of books as well, written long before HP). It will probably be the same with LB, being the seventh film, and therefore "copying" HP by doing seven stories as well.

Other than that, I usually don't have any problems with Narnia references when listening to people talk about it. They either know everything or nothing at all.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby jesus_girl2016 » Sep 21, 2010 12:17 am

It bugs me that they turned the Telemarines into Spanish descent, when Caspian is clearly described in VDT to be of Caucasian, possibly Norsemen, descent. That bugs me :) .
jesus_girl2016
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Sep 22, 2010 8:03 am

I hate it when people say that Aslan's Country is heaven and try to make everything an allegory. Sure, Lewis was a Christian and that influenced his writing, but he made it quite clear it is NOT an allegory. Another one is the one that Lion's Emblem mentioned with Harry Potter.
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ChristProclamer » Sep 24, 2010 11:09 pm

The misspelling of names. Caspain for Caspian, Alsan or Aslon for Aslan, and especially, Narina for Narnia.

Also, when it is assumed that JRR Tolkein and Lewis copied from each other's work. Whichevery way the assumptions fly, it's annoying, and those who know know that they were friends who built off of each other, not copied.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Ithilwen » Sep 25, 2010 2:52 am

My friend, who has never read the books, insists that I'm saying the title wrong. She says that the correct way to say it is "Nardia", with a D. She says that she knows this because "her friend owns the movie" and that's the way her friend says it. :P LOL

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Boy Scout » Sep 26, 2010 3:38 pm

It isn't really Narnia knowledge lack that annoys me, it is the people who yell "For Narnian! And for Aslan!" when they are just making fun of Narnia.
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TheGeneral » Sep 26, 2010 6:47 pm

What annoys me is how some people think there is only one story, LWW. I know it's the most popular, but to think it's the only one? LoL
TheGeneral
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby HighQueenofNarnia » Sep 27, 2010 7:33 pm

When people think that Eustace and Jill become a King and Queen. That is annoying!
Pray for Skandar member! PM Benjamin to join!
I saw the film on Opening Day!
When all else fails, read the Instructions!
HighQueenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby aragorn2 » Sep 30, 2010 2:37 pm

When people watch the movies and think they know everything about Narnia without having read the books
aragorn2
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wild rose » Oct 01, 2010 10:41 am

ChristProclamer wrote: Also, when it is assumed that JRR Tolkein and Lewis copied from each other's work. Whichevery way the assumptions fly, it's annoying, and those who know know that they were friends who built off of each other, not copied.

That really annoys me too, I had a friend who was telling me all that once, and I felt very upset, but took great care not to show it as I explained as calmly as I could that they didn't copy from each other at all :)
The ends must never justify the means, the means must justify themselves--Ravi Zacharias
sig by Meltintalle
wild rose
The Guardian of Sundays

Postby sandyentersNarnia » Oct 02, 2010 6:13 am

Hmmmm.. when they thought a girl was the one who betrayed the Pevensies when it was really a boy, Edmund.

"Two sides of the same coin"
sandyentersNarnia
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby king caspian » Oct 02, 2010 10:36 am

my same pet peeve goes along the lines on what aragon2 said. I meet a lot of Narnia fans who think they know everything without reading the books. One in particular towards the end of last semester that me and my good friend on here DamselJillPole came upon in college. We were sitting in a separate bench from these teenage college students and one of them got on the topic of Narnia another person asked if another Narnia movie was coming out, she replied "Yes it comes out later this year and if you are wondering if Caspian sees Susan again they do and they are going to live together as king and queen. They meet again on some island called Ramda Island. Something like that."

I wasn't going to say anything I was only laughing to myself but DamselJillPole being her sarcastic self said: "It's pronounced Ramandu's Island not Ramda." and the girl was shaking her head and said thanks. Then Damsel asks if she read the books because "I'm a big Narnia fan too!" =))
Then the girl looked really nervous, and you can tell that I and Damsel were enjoying it. Having to do with a Suspian lie and all in front of actual Narnia fans. The girl asked "Oh there are Narnia books?!"
Damsel and I only glanced at each other and got up. We looked at the people the girl was lying to and Damsel said "If you do prefer Suspian then the next Narnia movie isn't for you." so we just left and began laughing so hard.
Not Suspian!
Avatar: DamselJillpole Sig: Tarkheena
king caspian
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby checkers » Oct 02, 2010 5:16 pm

Hahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) =)) I was laughing so hard reading your post, king caspian!!!!! That is hysterical!!!! (my jaw was dropping there for a bit, too...) I can't believe that!!! Hahahahahahahaha!!!! =)) =))
checkers
NarniaWeb Guru

Next