This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Your Narnian Knowledge (or lack thereof) pet peeve.

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: Your Narnian Knowledge (or lack thereof) pet peeve.

Postby Lilygloves » Jan 15, 2011 7:37 am

I hate it when people say, "I don't have to read the book; I'm watching the movie". They are missing out on so much! And that doesn't work because the movies are so different from the actual books. LWW is the closest of the three movies to the books and even that is different. Grrr lazy people!
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ithilwen » Jan 18, 2011 3:07 pm

I hate it when people say they have "read" the books, when really they have only glanced through it, or "read" it quickly for a school assignment. And then they act like they know all about it, and they mix characters up, mix characters together, and get everyone's name wrong.

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Lucy_the_Oracle » Jan 23, 2011 7:14 pm

Now that I've read all the way through this thread, I'm very annoyed at the general population of People Who Know Nothing. :p I am very much a perfectionist, and anything that's incorrect annoys me. I am very possessive of the things that I love, Narnia being one of them. If I know someone has only seen the movies, not read the books, I usually won't even talk to them about it. :ymblushing: I guess I probably should work on that. But it's so annoying...
As long as there is breath in my body, I will be For Narnia. And for Aslan.
Lucy_the_Oracle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby outlier » Jan 23, 2011 11:54 pm

Lucy_the_Oracle wrote:I'm very annoyed at the general population of People Who Know Nothing. :p

I think that can cover a whole lot of pet peeves... in light of that, it annoys me when I think I have found a new Narnian buddy to discuss the series with, their view of "reading the books" means just reading LWW... either that or starting with MN and then got bored and quit
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lucy_the_Oracle » Jan 24, 2011 2:04 pm

Yeah. ^^ I was talking my friend about Narnia, and this other girl from our class who sort of our friend butted in and said, "Don't see it. I didn't like it. It didn't even seem like a Narnia movie, because the other two weren't there." I just gave her this blank stare. And then I said, "Well The Voyage of the Dawn Treader has always been my favorite book, but I also love The Silver Chair, so I hope they make that one next." She got a confused and sort of embarrassed look on her face and went off to talk to someone else. :p
Lucy_the_Oracle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby RoseRed » Feb 06, 2011 8:49 am

king caspian....that is a classic ;) =)) =)) =))

I don't appreciate it much when people think LWW is the only one that matters. I know quite \ a few people who say that because they've read that one book, they know the series. obviously, it's the first, an integral part, a favourite etc, but I mean...there are 6 others :p
Grief for the movies made me abandon narniaweb...but I'm so glad to be back!
Many thanks to the wonderful Lady Eowyn for making my sig/av.
RoseRed
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lucy_the_Oracle » Feb 06, 2011 4:50 pm

Okay, I know I've probably posted too much here. But... I just have to share this. There's a video (a few videos, actually) on YouTube of Susan after LB. This was one comment, supposedly in explanation of the video (despite the fact that it contradicts the very video description):
"every 1 from all the movies came back in the end to defeat the Dark lord - but lucys revival vial runs out an susan get shot an dies - very sad- but nickabreech the mouse an that dwarf an all that come back".
x_x
Lucy_the_Oracle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby narnian_at_heart » Feb 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Wow.... just wow, Lucy_the_Oracle, that emoticon you used underneath completely sums it up.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby outlier » Feb 07, 2011 11:28 pm

Oh goodness Lucy_the_Oracle, ummm, that's quite different from the book 8-| And don't worry about posting too much here (well... unless a mod tells you otherwise...), those stories are pretty entertaining :)
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Minty » Feb 13, 2011 7:37 pm

Hmm, where to start? ;) Like others said, I hate it when the books are compared to Harry Potter (or any series, for that matter, but for some reason HP bothers me the most). ~x( You don't have to automatically make comparisons. Can't you like both?
Another one is when people call the series "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" series.
Minty
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Angelwings_The_Faun » Feb 17, 2011 9:59 am

I can't stand it when people assume that the Lady of the Green Kirtle (SC) is a reincarnation of the White Witch. Lewis never wrote that, or alluded to it in any way. People who've watched the old movies assume so because the same actress played them both, but that was just because they weren't able to pay another actress to do the role.
"None of this fazes us ...I'm absolutely convinced that nothing—nothing living or dead, angelic or demonic, today or tomorrow, high or low, thinkable or unthinkable—absolutely nothing can get between us and God's love..." Romans 8:39
Angelwings_The_Faun
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Feb 19, 2011 2:10 pm

My major pet peeve is sometimes with some of my friends who will ask me at times why I read or why I'm obsessed with these stories. Some of them think that fantasy stories should only be for boys not grown women. And I'm so tired of them which is why I hardly see some friends a lot. I only have four friends who support my liking in Narnia and likes it too.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby OftheNORTH0095 » Apr 09, 2011 12:10 pm

My history teacher ans I were discussing Voyage of the Dawn Treader the other day and she said something that made me cringe. She pronounced Eustace as Youstacy. That annoyed me and also I was thouroughly annoyed when a former PE teacher asked me if "The Magician's Son" was coming out next. I have never heard of this "Magician's Son." :|
“I am,” said Aslan. “But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there.”
OftheNORTH0095
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby puddleglum32 » Apr 09, 2011 6:35 pm

My friend and I were talking about narnia when I started talking about Aslan. I told him he was the son of the Emporer over the sea. Then he said "Is Aslan a dog?" omp
it drove me crazy. How can you say aslan is a dog. He is the king of beasts and king of all narnia.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby i love w.a.s.g » Apr 10, 2011 11:26 am

I read all posts and all of the people you've written about just made me go crazy! I don't understand why people talk about a thing without having any idea about that. I would feel ashamed if I talked about Narnia without any knowledge and someone corrected my words.

I really hate when people compare Narnia with Harry Potter. They're just two different beautiful worlds and wonderful stories. (Yesterday, "Narnia/Harry Potter" was a worldwide trending topic on Twitter!)

I think I can count myself lucky because there's no people around me pronouncing the names wrong, talking about the movies without reading the books and finding my Narnia love ridiculous.

I hope I could explain myself.

Avatar by lover of narnia | Signature by me
i love w.a.s.g
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ionic Bonding Rocks » Apr 11, 2011 8:55 pm

Once I was catching up with some friends in the holidays. When asked what I had been doing with my time, I proudly answered, "I've been on Narnia websites all day!" to which one of my friends replied, "Narnia, as in Ozland the lion?" ~x(
I have another friend who is convinced that fauns are called 'goat people', Narnia is called 'Nardia' and that Caspian is French. Not even Spanish, like the movies, but french. x_x I try to explain that he's actually a blonde that's in his EARLY teens, most of my friends have heart attacks.
This last one is perhaps a bit nitpicky of me, but I really can't stand it when someone who has read the books spells Edmund as 'Edmond'. X(
~Ionic
http://abookwormsopinion.blogspot.com
Set by Princess Anna
Ionic Bonding Rocks
NarniaWeb Regular

PreviousNext