This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Your Narnian Knowledge (or lack thereof) pet peeve.

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: Your Narnian Knowledge (or lack thereof) pet peeve.

Postby outlier » Apr 11, 2011 10:31 pm

Actually Ionic, I think I read somewhere that 'edmond' is the french way to spell it or something like that... idk, it was a while back so I'm not sure if that's completely accurate...

My mom (of all people... :-s ) told me after I read LWW and told her that I didn't want to read the rest of the series, that peter goes back into the wardrobe to fight battles on his own, and lucy is the only true sibbling that never stops believing (the way she described it was sorta like a parallel to the Polar Express) %-( .... after that I had to read all of the books and prove her wrong ;))
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wolfloversk » Apr 12, 2011 10:32 am

moo25 wrote:I also hate it when people write off the Chronicles for children, and mercilessly make fun of anyone who enjoys them. *sigh* 8-|

Agreed wholeheartedly! My freinds sister refused to watch VDT or PC with us because her friends always say how they're kids books and cuz she was afraid of getting teased. I mean seriously people... have you ever watched PC? Or read LB? Yes they're children's books but I think just about anyone who likes fantasy could like them too. And there comes a point in one's life when one does start watching the classic disney stories again... and that point has come in those kid's lives, is there really a difference. You shouldn't tease someone just because they like Narnia.

When critics complain abut the movies being too Christian... That's like saying The Lion King was took place too much in Africa, or that there was too much music in The Phantom of the Opera, or too many dinosaurs in JP... That's part of the point! It's inherent to the story!

When people say CS Lewis was rascist. Yes he may have been depicting rascism, but in the books it went both ways... kind of like the feelings of the Cold War. I don't think he was a rascist, but he was trying to capture that rivalry between two countries that can be taken too far. Besides there were good Calormenes as well as bad Narnians.

When people say PC (the movie) was rascist... really people? Look up... and listen to the interviews!

When people say that Narnia is copying HP... um Narnia was written first :P (This one I actually find hilarious =)) )

When people don't realize that the only character in all 7 books is Aslan.

When people don't realize there are 7 books.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby QueenKaylene » Apr 17, 2011 3:13 pm

Hi everyone! I haven't posted to these boards in several years but decided to take a look at it when I was looking some info on when to expect Silver Chair in theaters. Anyhow, what bothers me the most is that the people who made the movies seemingly forgot to completely read the books! LOL I know, I know, they can't put everything from the books into the movies...but really? They left out so much and added things that didn't belong. I guess I am a Narnia purist. I have read the books more times than I can count starting at age 6 when I first read LWW and feel I am pretty darn knowledgeable so to see the movies was a giant let-down. I almost don't want to see them but I like to put "faces to names" so to speak and my kids and husband who have not read the books enjoy them so I grit my teeth and sit through them thinking to myself "did the writers even pick the book up once?".
QueenKaylene
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Ithilwen » May 06, 2011 12:44 am

When people call Aslan "Asian". ;)) They seem to think the l is an i. :P

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Valiant » May 07, 2011 2:02 pm

Ithilwen, haha, I haven't seen that. :p However I have seen people speel "Aslan" and "Azzlan" or something like that. /:)
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby outlier » May 07, 2011 10:32 pm

Ithy, perhaps the dot on the 'i' was too long? ;)

I was talking to my friend about the end of book series and we were comparing LB with Deathly Hallows and then she just stopped and said, "wait i thought in the last narnia book they all become zombies or something???" x_x
Signature by Tarkheena, Avatar by Ithilwen
Sneaky Ninja of the Lurkers Club
outlier
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lilygloves » Jun 22, 2011 4:21 pm

I think we can all agree that it's really annoying when people assume they can watch the movies and then they know everything about Narnia. You can say, "Who's Ramandu?" or something like that and they would say, "Who?"
Just goes to show how lazy people are when they'd rather watch the movies than actually read the classic stories.
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Jun 24, 2011 7:09 am

It really annoys me when people with a lack of Narnia knowledge ask,"Why aren't Susan and Peter coming back?" Um, weren't you paying attention while reading or watching the close enough movie? They're too old. Aslan said it loud and clear.

Another thing that annoys me is that people only seem to know Narnia by the movies. One day, I was reading The Magician's Nephew at school, and some kids asked me what I was reading. I responded that I was reading MN, one of the Narnia books. One of the responses of them was," I think I've heard of a Narnia. Wasn't that a movie? And there was a Lion, Aslan I think." Before you see a film adaption of a book, I would strongly recommend reading the book before you see it. It has a lot more depth and detail than the movie ever will.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby mar_girl » Jun 24, 2011 3:29 pm

I have the 1996 HarperCollins versions of the CON, and they have a character list in the front of each book that says that Jadis is the same person as the LOTGK. X( I actually believed that until the good people here at NW showed me the light. ;)
I think my Narnian knowledge pet peeves have all been mentioned, but I really hate that my 7-in-1 TCON omnibus volume has only one picture per chapter. b-( Grrr.
Sig by lysander
Queen of Literary Linkage
Aslan: the Chuck Norris of Narnia.
mar_girl
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wolfloversk » Jun 24, 2011 8:42 pm

They have books with more than one picture per chapter?!! :-o

-When I show my occasional Narnian Knowledge lapses
-When people think the books are bad without even reading them
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Ithilwen » Jun 27, 2011 6:35 pm

wolfloversk wrote:When people say that Narnia is copying HP... um Narnia was written first :P (This one I actually find hilarious =)) )

A lot of people are referring to the movies, which came after the HP movies.

outlier wrote:Ithy, perhaps the dot on the 'i' was too long? ;)

It was typed. ;) And it was actually on a news site quoted by NarniaWeb, ironically.

wolfloversk wrote:They have books with more than one picture per chapter?!! :-o

They do! ;)) My paperback editions have at least two or three illustrations per chapter. ;)

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby RavingNarniacAnarane » Jul 01, 2011 5:39 pm

I agree with pretty much most of these! But I have my tops that really nerve me.
My first is Edmund's name. There's a few others who already said this but it's EDMUND, not Edward nor Edwin. Plus it is NOT spelled Edmond.
Second, is when people start calling the Pevensie's old. Or saying that they should know better for some things they do. I mean, if you look at the time line, Peter is 13 in the LWW. Susan is 12, Edmund is 10 and Lucy is 8! Everone naturally assumes they are one year apart! Also Eustace is younger then Lucy by a year as well!
Third is how you say Aslan's name. I guess this one could be argued, depending on your accent. But it bothers me when they pronounce it like 'Aslon', with a long o.
I also got this once 'Why does the professor have a bunch of women's coats in a wardrobe?" C. S. Lewis adressed this once, he said that it was the professor's mothers. Really though, do you have to ask things like that?
Lastly, I hate it when people think they are making fun of Narnia when they shout out 'For Narnia and for Aslan!'. It's NOT an insult in anyway!
RavingNarniacAnaraneImage
RavingNarniacAnarane
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Lilygloves » Aug 07, 2011 12:06 pm

Yesterday my friend said that Narnia was the garden of eden and the author tried not to make it Biblical but he kept putting stuff in it from the Bible. It made me really angry and I started arguing with him. :D
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Reepi » Aug 08, 2011 9:11 pm

It's a shame a company like Harpercollins who have the exclusive rights publishes inferior editions time and time again. (When are they finally going to get them in the right orderrrrr?)
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby MinotaurforAslan » Aug 17, 2011 1:16 am

They have books with one picture per chapter? :-o You poor deprived soul.

But yeah...there are some editions of the books where there are anywhere from 2-4 illustrations through out the chapter, placed in the middle of the text near the event that they portray. Then there are other editions of the books that just take one of those illustrations and plop them at the beginning under each chapter title.

It's not really too bad either way though because with the latter you can use your imagination more. :)

louloudi the centaur wrote:Before you see a film adaption of a book, I would strongly recommend reading the book before you see it.

I would disagree. :P When I've read the book first I've been disappointed by the movie many times, but when I watched the movie first I have never been disappointed by the book. ;)
MinotaurforAslan
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lilygloves » Aug 19, 2011 11:12 am

I looked up the trailer for VDT on youtube because I wanted to see if a certain part was in it and I read a bunch of comments. I almost cried when I saw "Azland" instead of "Aslan" and stuff like "Why aren't Susan and Peter in this movie? waah". They aren't supposed to be there at all!
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

PreviousNext