This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Your Narnian Knowledge (or lack thereof) pet peeve.

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: Your Narnian Knowledge (or lack thereof) pet peeve.

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Sep 12, 2011 2:32 pm

When people compare Narnia to Twilight... Uh? :-? @-) ~x( What is there to even compare for crying out loud? They are completely different genres for starters, and the characters are completely different. Yeah, this sounds weird, but I've seriously seen this happen before. /:)

Yeah , this really isn't exactly a Narnia Knowledge Pet Peeve, but honestly, it's just as annoying.
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnialuver » Nov 06, 2011 6:54 am

when they have never herd of Narnia!! ahh... and they say: oh ya narnia someone named... let me think Lewis or something did that

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012
narnialuver
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lilygloves » Nov 06, 2011 11:35 am

I think this has been mentioned more than once, but I hate it when people compare Lewis to Tolkien. They are two different authors. They did write fantasy and were friends, but Lewis is a great author all by himself and doesn't need Tolkien to boost his popularity.
I also hate it when people mix up the books or characters. Maybe I'm just being a snob, but I'm like that with a lot of things. I always have to correct my mom when she tries to talk Narnia with me. :]
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnialuver » Nov 09, 2011 7:21 am

Ya Tolkien is a lot different then Lewis and I Hate it when people compare Narnia to Harry potter that is an insult to Narnia

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012
narnialuver
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glumpuddle » Nov 16, 2011 9:06 am

I hate it when people dismiss the series as simple escapism for 5-year-olds, an attitude which clearly comes from ignorance. So many people, even some fans, seem to go "Aslan is like God. Got it" and they think they have figured out the whole series. They totally miss out on all of Lewis deeper themes and nuances.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby parableproductions » Nov 16, 2011 10:57 am

I can't stand it when people say that what was in the movie is cannon over what is in the books. Of the Walden movies, I loved one (LWW), hated one (PC) and liked one (VDT). But even the movie that I loved had some flaws in it and 7 books are the ONLY things that are cannon.

I also don't like it when people insist that the books must be read in a certain order. I prefer the publication order (because the spiritual lessons get progressively deeper - moving from milk to meat as the Apostle Paul would say), but if you want to read them in timeline sequence - that's fine. However, I had one guy tell me several years ago that MN was the first book, it was written first and it must be read first. Um, no it wasn't written first and if I want to read them in the alphabetical order or throw them in the air and read the one that lands closest to me first - that's okay too. ;)
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wolfloversk » Nov 16, 2011 10:33 pm

Hmmm Alphabetical Order... I'll have to try that one day :P

Whenever people say "I've seen the movie, so I know the plot." No, you don't :P
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Nov 17, 2011 6:18 pm

glumPuddle wrote: So many people, even some fans, seem to go "Aslan is like God. Got it" and they think they have figured out the whole series. They totally miss out on all of Lewis deeper themes and nuances.

I'll admit this was the case with me when I first read the books. :ymblushing: But now that I'm a bit older, I do understand the books a degree better, and am doing so every time I read them.

I have seen cases of this before though myself, and it annoys me. I have seen some people say that Narnia is biblical lessons for children. For example, when Aslan dies in place of Edmund LWW, some have said Aslan did this because he is Jesus.

*annoyed grunt*

No! X( Aslan, while I do agree He stands Christ in this world, the main reason to my understanding as to why He did this was because He is Narnia's hope after a 100 year winter!
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby RoseRed » Dec 31, 2011 4:40 am

Mine is when peple ask 'there's more than one?'

It's 'The ChronicleS of Narnia' folks!! ;)
Grief for the movies made me abandon narniaweb...but I'm so glad to be back!
Many thanks to the wonderful Lady Eowyn for making my sig/av.
RoseRed
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 09, 2012 6:10 pm

Everyone has already named a bunch of stuff that annoys me.
Once someone posted a topic on IMDB saying that Prince Caspian is lame, its just a rip off of The Lion King!!!!! I wanted to say "really?" ;)
This isn't an annoyance so much as just being bugged, but once we were watching LWW in theaters and one person asked the person beside them what Turkish Delight was. Their friend replied that they thought it was a type of doughnut. :p
And once again while watching LWW my aunt thought that Mr. Tumnus was half deer! But neither of them knew so I don't blame them. :p

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnian_Badger » Jul 09, 2012 6:33 pm

When people complain that SC, MN, or any other book doesn't directly star the Pevensies. *headdesk* It's not all about the Pevensies! Eustace, Jill, Digory, et al, are great characters! :-w

Also, when a fan of the movies says they didn't even know they were based off of a book series. Ack. >_o
Narnian_Badger
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Boy Scout » Jul 10, 2012 9:58 am

Louloudi the Centaur wrote:When people compare Narnia to Twilight... Uh? :-? @-) ~x( What is there to even compare for crying out loud? They are completely different genres for starters, and the characters are completely different. Yeah, this sounds weird, but I've seriously seen this happen before. /:)

Yeah , this really isn't exactly a Narnia Knowledge Pet Peeve, but honestly, it's just as annoying.

It could be a knowledge pet peeve- as in these people have no knowldge of Narnia whatsoever.

I suppose there could be somthing for comparing the books. But the word "book" is where the similarities end.

Another one wis when people don't know can't think of any Christain themes in Narnia. Thhey aren't buried that deep in the plot! :p
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby fantasia » Jul 10, 2012 10:30 am

Lady Haleth wrote:When people call Lewis sexist for the whole Susan thing, without looking any further into it. Its like they have a double standard. If it had happened to one of the guys, they wouldn't care, but since it happened to one of the girls, he has to be sexist. Because any male writer who has anything bad happen to a female character must hate women.

Absolutely, completely, 100% ditto. Everyone is so quick to point out how "Lewis sent Susan to hell!!!!!" (which he didn't do), but the character who by far and large is the closest to Aslan is not Peter the High King, not Edmund whom Aslan died for, but Lucy.
Same story goes for the people who cry "Racist" because of the Calormen race. Again, they completely ignore Aravis and Emeth, not to mention how the "Whitest" character in the story is the biggest villian. :P
Yeah, this is by far and away my biggest pet peeve.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Narnian_Archer » Jul 11, 2012 10:49 am

One thing that really got to me was an instance that I had with a friend of mine. We were discussing Narnia shortly I had finished the series (she had read it several years before) and were talking about the Pevensies being the Kings and Queens of Narnia. She came out with a comment, "Lucy really should have been made High Queen over Narnia instead of Susan - she had so much more faith!" I said "Wait a minute, there is no High Queen, there's only a High King - The High King Peter" and she said, "No, there's the High King Peter and the High Queen Susan." We argued for hours into the night and nearly started yelling at each other. It took all of my older sisters' power just to keep us from pouncing on each other!!!

While I knew I was right, I have to admit I felt a little bad for making such a big deal out of a really minor detail in the book, and I apologized to my friend afterwards. I don't know if she got the facts straight later on, but I didn't want to ruin our friendship over something so terribly minor, so I haven't brought it up since. :) :)
sig by Sheroo of Stormness Head
Member of the Dragon club. PM Narnia Girl or FFJ to join.
RL sibling to De_De and wild rose
Narnian_Archer
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 11, 2012 5:42 pm

I hate it when people take the Narnia books (or any other story) and try to twist it to prove that it means something it doesn't. Like if someone was trying to say the moral of the story is to go Vegan, or stop violence, or any other kind of belief system that really has little to do with the book. And it's usually just because that subject is a cause they personally like, and they read it into everything. What makes it even more ridiculous is when they say it was the author's intention. Especially if it goes against the author's beliefs. 8-|

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Previous