This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Book (and book rankings)

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest?

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (LWW)
11%
Prince Caspian (PC)
4%
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (VDT)
24%
The Silver Chair (SC)
14%
The Horse and His Boy (HHB)
20%
The Magician's Nephew (MN)
12%
The Last Battle (LB)
15%

Total votes : 185

Favorite Book (and book rankings)

Postby stardf29 » Aug 25, 2009 12:05 pm

That's right, it's the one and only place to talk about which book is your favorite! Hard decision? Don't worry; we know how you feel. ;)

Also in this thread, you can rank the books from favorite to least favorite, as follows:

1. LB (the one you like the most)
2. VDT
3. HHB
4. LWW
5. SC
6. MN
7. PC (the one you just don't like quite as much as you like the other six)

Feel free to discuss rankings, too.

General notice about this poll:

While you don't need to post the reasoning behind your entire ranking, please at least post why you think your top-rated book is the best of the best. Posts that just contain the book you voted for, or just a ranking, will be deleted.

You are only allowed one vote. However, you may change your vote if you change your mind. Just select the new person you want to vote for and your vote will be changed.
"A Series of Miracles", a blog about faith and anime.

Avatar: Kojiro Sasahara of Nichijou.
stardf29
Moderator Emeritus
I'm on a goat.

Re: Favorite Book (and book rankings)

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Sep 04, 2009 7:05 am

My favorite is The Last Battle, and the rest are as follows:

1. TLB
2. VOTD
3. TSC
4. LWW
5. HAHB
6. PC
7. MN

It's funny that TLB is my favorite now, cause when I first read it I absolutly HATED it. I couldn't believe C.S.Lewis would have the series end so horridly, with Narnia ending and all. But the more I read it the more it grew on me... :p
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby jadis of narnia » Sep 04, 2009 9:01 am

OK, my list are as follows..

1. TMN
2. LWW
3. TSC
4. TLB
5. PC
6. VOTDT
7. HHB

I just never care for Horse and His Boy.. so it's my least fav.. but I love LWW and TMN.. They have such neat, magical environments to them, and both are very creative..

~ jadis
jadis of narnia

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Sep 04, 2009 1:03 pm

Here is my list. I had a hard time with numbers 3-5
1. LWW – No doubt on this one for me. I love the connection to Christ’s death and resurrection.
2. HHB – I love all of the humor in this book. The characters are so silly at times and Lewis’s little comments are great. I love the line: “Aravis also had many quarrels (and, I'm afraid, even fights) with Cor, but they always made it up again: so that years later, when they were grown up, they were so used to quarrelling and making it up again that they got married so as to go on doing it more conveniently”
3. PC – This has many of my favorite characters in it: Pattertwig, Reepicheep, Trufflehunter, Lucy, Caspian, and Edmund. Also, when I found out that it was low on many other people’s list, I began to like it more and find ways to see how it was a good book. What can I say? I’m a sucker for the underdog. :) I also became fonder of it as I saw how the movie changed it. Nothing like disagreeing with changes to make the original more precious. I love how well the theme of faith is shown especially in Trufflehunter, Lucy, and Caspian. It also has two of my favorite quotes in it.
4. VDT – I had a hard time deciding between this and one and SC. I finally picked this one because it has Reepicheep, and I really like Reepicheep. It has a lot of great scenes as well and funny characters.
5. SC – I think this one used to be my favorite, or at least I remember saying I wanted to put a fuzzy sticker in it because it was my favorite and the sticker is there. I don’t remember why it was my favorite. I was fairly young at the time. Puddleglum is a great character.
6. MN – I just didn’t get into this one as much as the others. Uncle Andrew and the situations he gets himself in are funny though.
7. LB – This book has always bothered me. It is darker than the rest and there is a lot I don’t understand about it. I get mad at the Narnians for believing the ape. (I still like it though, especially once they are in Aslan’s Country).
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 05, 2009 2:18 am

1. VDT
2. SC
3. HHB
4. LWW
5. MN
6. LB
7. PC
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sep 05, 2009 2:29 am

1. SC
2. MN
3. VDT
4. LB
5. HHB
6. PC
7. LWW

I enjoy SC for Puddleglum, Eustace and Jill. I enjoy the biblical parallels and especially the scene with Prince Rilian in the Silver Chair and the scene with the Lady of the Green Kirtle subtly brainwashing them of their beliefs.
I enjoy MN for the Charn sequence, Jadis and Uncle Andrew's interactions, Jadis' wild antic and the creation of Narnia.
The others I enjoy for various other reasons.
Currently watching:
Doctor Who - Season 11
Warrior 4 Jesus
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Narnia93 » Sep 05, 2009 3:46 am

1. LWW
2. VODT
3. PC

It's a hard choice for the rest so I don't really know.
Narnia93
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby narnian1 » Sep 05, 2009 8:12 am

My favorite is Voyage of the Dawn Treader. Rankings:

1 Voyage of the Dawn Treader
2 The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe
3 The Magician's Nephew
4 The Horse and His Boy
5 The Silver Chair
6 Prince Caspian
7 The Last Battle

I love them all, SC just had a bump up one spot though it might be because I got to biggest urge to read it and am doing so at the time.
PC was always among the weaker books for me. LB is only the last because it's much darker than the rest, it has great moments, but I dislike seeing how Narnia falls, though it had to happen, just having the Calormenes do it irked me, and the dwarfs UGH! But I absolutely LOVE the real Narnia. Those last few chapters are among the best of the series. HHB doesn't rank higher because of some characters I truly dislike, like Lausaraleen (SP?). The top 3 are the three in which I love everything in them without any complaints.
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Varnafinde » Sep 05, 2009 10:15 am

I voted for The Silver Chair - Puddleglum is one reason why it's my favourite, but the whole scene towards the end where they try to resist the witch's magic, is just great. I also love Glimfeather the Owl :)

But The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe is a very close second. It was my first Chronicle, and for many years the only one that had been translated into Norwegian. I was 21 before I found the rest of the Chronicles ... (*)

I don't know how to rank the others. What I like the least, is the first half of The Last Battle - not because it is badly written, it isn't - but because I always feel exasperated by the attitude of the Narnians. Why can't they think for themselves? Why are they so happy to have the Ape thinking for them? Why do they believe that it's true that Aslan won't speak to them directly any more, that they need the Ape as a mediator? Why don't they see through his lies? X(

If only I could be sure that the same thing could never happen in the real world ... :-?
(avi artwork by Henning Janssen)
Varnafinde
Princess of the Noldor and Royal Overseer of the Talk About Narnia forum

Postby Umbarto » Sep 05, 2009 2:02 pm

1. The Magician's Nephew
2. The Silver Chair
3. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader
4. Prince Caspian
5. The Horse and His Boy
6. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
7. The Last Battle

MN has been my favorite ever since I first read it. I love the mystery surrounding the attic, Uncle Andrew's study, the Wood between the Worlds, Charn, Narnia, and the Garden in the East. I also really love it because of Jadis and the back story that comes with her. Charn is probably one of the most intriguing aspects of the series, as is the Wood between the Worlds. Also, the confrontation between Digory and Jadis is amazing.

Silver Chair comes next because of Jill, Eustace, and Puddleglum. They're all awesome characters and the underground world is pretty interesting.

The Last Battle will probably always be my least favorite. I really love chapters 2 through like 8 or 9 (not sure), but then it slows down too much for me once they all go through the stable. The two halves of the story just feel too disconnected for me, which is really too bad, because they're both excellent independently.
‘Then rightly you game the name to the youngest of your children,’ said Ambarussa, ‘and Umbarto “the Fated” was its true form.’ –The Shibboleth of Fëanor.
Umbarto
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Edis1 » Sep 05, 2009 2:28 pm

1~HHB
2~VDT
3~MN
4~SC
5~LWW
6~LB
7~PC
My fav was a tie between VDT and HHB,I voted for HHB. I really love HHB storyline,Shasta has always been one of my fav narnians.
Avy & Sig by Ithilwen Jesus loves you! Join the Edmund fan club! PM me to join! members-5
Image Legolas=Awesome!
Edmund=Fantastic!
Edis1
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Laura E. A. » Sep 05, 2009 5:55 pm

I love them all, and I just bought a beautiful hardcover, with lots of full color drawings by Pauline Baynes, and full color maps by her and everything. I guess my favorites would go like this:
1. (Hardest decision to make)LB
2. LWW
3. HHB
4. SC
5. MN
6. VDT
7. PC
Poor Prince Caspian! I don't think many people like it very much. I really like the story, but the Focus on the Family Dramatization is difficult to listen to. Maybe it's just because I listened to it about a hundred times when it was the only one I had. I haven't read any of the Narnia books for a while, so maybe after I read them, I'll change my rankings. It's really difficult, because some of them I like just the same. In fact, I like SC, HHB, and VDT almost the same, and it was fairly hard to make up my mind as to their ranking. :( :-s
God's hardness is kinder than the softness of man, and his compulsion is our liberation--- C.S.Lewis
Laura E. A.
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Jill_of_Narnia » Sep 05, 2009 6:32 pm

1.LWW
2.VDT
3.SC
4.PC
5.MN
6.HHB
7.TLB

I think LWW is my favorite just because of the whole atmosphere of the book. It represents so much and I think is one of the most creative of the books. TLB is my least favorite I guess because it is the end, I like end it's very good and beautiful, but it's still the end. The book is also a little darker and mildly depresses me in parts. But I still love it of course.
"The term is over: the holidays have begun. The dream is ended:this is the morning."
     And as He spoke, He no longer looked to them like a lion.
Jill_of_Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 06, 2009 4:38 am

Why VDT is my favorite:

I found it the most intresting and different story out of the lot of them. Since it didn't really have an evil character that had taken over or was ready to take over.

PC:

I sill love the book but just not as much as the rest. The storyline isn't as exciting as the rest. The book is needed though in the series other wise it would be just weird not knowing who Caspian is.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby malkah » Sep 06, 2009 3:57 pm

I love them all, so it's hard to choose, but here's my rankings:

1. HHB
2. LB
3. VDT
4. LWW
5. SC
6. PC
7. MN

The Horse and His Boy is my favorite. I love the exotic setting, the whole "escape" genre, and the powerful journeys the characters go on. It's also such a funny book. Rabadash's and the Tisroc's ridiculously self-important conversation, with the poor Vizier getting kicked, cracks me up every time!
And Shasta's mountain encounter with Aslan is my favorite passage in the Chronicles. :)
the light after the storm
shows that hope was never gone

Snow After Fire graphics
malkah
Moderator Emeritus
The Invincible One

Postby NaiadWaker » Sep 06, 2009 7:31 pm

Ah, I'd have to say:

1. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: I love the plot, how there's a main story and little sub stories in each island.
2. Siver Chair- I love Jill in this.
3. Prince Caspian- I just really like how C.S. Lewis described all the characters in this one- 'specially Ed.
4. Horse and His Boy- I love just the whole journey itself, with all the lions, or Lion, should I say...
5. The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe- Classic, but not my favorite.
6. Magician's Nephew- a good one, but the others beat it out.
7. Last Battle- well, one's gotta be last. I don't know why I didn't enjoy this one very much.
NaiadWaker
NarniaWeb Junkie

Next