This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Book (and book rankings)

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Which of these awesome books is just a bit more awesome than the rest?

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (LWW)
11%
Prince Caspian (PC)
4%
The Voyage of the Dawn Treader (VDT)
24%
The Silver Chair (SC)
14%
The Horse and His Boy (HHB)
20%
The Magician's Nephew (MN)
12%
The Last Battle (LB)
15%

Total votes : 185

Re: Favorite Book (and book rankings)

Postby Lucy P. » Nov 19, 2009 7:01 pm

Ok, here's my order:

LB
PC
SC
MN
HHB
VDT
LWW

I know, I know, LWW is my least favorite. It's not that I don't love it. I'd just rather read the others.
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 11, 2009 10:39 am

here's my order:

VotDT
SC
HHB
LWW
PC
MN
LB

VotDT has always been my favorite since the first time I read it when I was five!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby De_De » Dec 29, 2009 11:19 am

and here are mine
HHB
LWW
VotDT
SC
MN
PC
LB
I don't know why I love HHB so much. Since the first time I read it it stood out to me :)
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Fair Faun » Dec 29, 2009 7:23 pm

Here is my list:

VDT
MN
LWW
PC
SC
LB
HHB

VDT is, IMHO, just a fantastic adventure story (and I am very much looking forward to the film). MN is very good in the way that it describes Narnia's creation (Narnia's Genesis) and tells how Jadis came to arrive in Narnia etc. LWW will always have a special place with me. I must have read it three or four times before even knowing of the existance of the other books. PC is very good (I sometimes think of LWW and PC as two halves of one book). SC is also very good as is LB which I like as it addresses themes such as where (I believe) we're all eventually going. HBB is my least favourite and I feel this book is little more than a sideline to introduce the reader to the Calormenes (that's just my opinion). :-s I've probably read HBB only about three times compared to something like six or seven for all the others.
Make your choice adventurous stranger.
Strike the bell and bide the danger.
Or wonder 'till it drives you mad
what would have happened if you had.
Fair Faun
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby NarnianQueen10 » Jan 08, 2010 12:03 pm

1. MN
2. LWW
3. VDT
4. HHB
5. SC
6. PC
7. LB

MN is amazing! I didn't use to like it when I was little, but now I love it. Lots. ;)
I'd say it was because of "seeing" Narnia being created. And Charn. And the Lamppost.
~Queeny ;;)

Duracell: the power of 10,000 rabbits in one battery
Member of Edmund's Fan Club!
Ramandu's Daughter Club member!
NarnianQueen10
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jan 09, 2010 12:35 pm

1. The Magician's Nephew: I can relate to this story so much, and in so many different ways, so it has become not only my favourite book in the series, but my favourite fiction book ever! I think that it illustrates perhaps the most important theme in the whole series. . . forgiveness, better than any of the other books, and it goes to show you just how much God loves us, and cares about our well-being. The fact that we get to see Narnia created, and the fact that it has that "squeaky clean and new" feeling, is also really amazing.

2. The Horse and His Boy: This is also a REALLY good read. The sense of unbelonging that is portrayed throughout this book is often credited as the main theme, but I've taken a different approach. I view this work as more of a debasement of pride, for, in all reality, every character we meet, save for a couple, are full of pride. Arsheesh, Anradin Tarkhan, Bree, Aravis, the Tisroc, Rabadash, Lasarleen, Prince Corin, and even, to some extent, the Hermit all display some sort of pride, and it is throughout the course of the books that this pride is slowly chipped away. Shasta and Hwin, the two characters of the book who alone display none (or very little) pride are emulated, while. . . in my opinion, the others are slowly changed through Aslan's mercy.

3. The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe: I really like this book, partly because it was my first introduction to the wonderful world of Narnia, but partly because of the far-reaching themes that it posesses. Sacrifice, forgiveness, unbelief, courage, bravery. . . it's all in there, and it all comes together in a fantastic story. The fact that most of the action takes place in winter (my favourite season) also helps it a bit.

4. The Silver Chair: I think that this book is probably one of the most profound books of the seven chronicles. In it, we see that God still loves and cares for us, despite the bad choices we make. Jill and Eustace, who go about everything incorrectly throughout the story, are still able to overcome their trials, all because of the words of Aslan. This book also holds my favourite character in the Narnian series. Puddleglum serves as the book's moral compass, and illustrates the point that, even when we're doing exactly as we're told, we are still flawed, but that we can still be loved any ways.

5. The Voyage of the Dawn Treader: This is where critiques start to settle in. I still like this book a good deal, partly because of it's HUGE capability for adventure and excitement. The unknown has always been fascinating to all of us, and it is the discovery of the unknown that really makes this book good. However. . . I find that the plot is just too episodic for my tastes. It flows from one point to another, with minimal action in between. People have said that C.S. Lewis must have written VODT in a "White heat of inspiration" because his original hand-written manuscript was hardly changed before reaching publication. The problem with this, is that, as an author, one has a tendency to tell his reader's too much, too soon, which tends to get them worn out. If the book had more "filler" in it, there's no reason why it couldn't have been a 400 page book, but the plot just moves too fast for me. We barely have time to digest the meaning of what we've just read, before something else happens to the characters, and that is just a bit too much for me.

6: The Last Battle: I think this book is so low on the list, not because of it's value literarily, but because it is the last book of the series. I put off reading it for so long, because I didn't want Narnia to end. The plotline for this book, although well thought out, and very original, is somewhat difficult to follow. To me, it seems as if the characters have no true motivation to do the things that they are doing. They absolutely ignore logic, and refuse to listen to reason. I think that Poggin, who at one point suggests that Tirian's forces go into the woods, live like outlaws, and then overthrow the Calormene's once they're stronger, has the best thought out plan, and as a character I find him very fascinating. Although I like the way that the series ends (in general) the last 40+ pages of the book (the part where they're all in Aslan's country and moving further up and further in) has always irritated me. As an author, I know that it is very difficult to write things that are "perfect," and when one does, it tends to be incredibly dull and boring. Flaws make people interesting, and when those flaws are removed, the character's personalities all seem to meld together. So, the last part of the book, although very original, and very interesting in its own right, just doesn't strike home for me.

7: Prince Caspian: This book needs a lot of work in order to be compared to the rest of the Chronicles. There are so many flaws in it, that it has become the only of the 7 books that I actually dislike. I think it's biggest problem is that it's villain is so poorly defined. There are two ways to write a book. Either you can have a villain (Like LWW) or not have a villain (like VODT). If you do have a villain, then you really need to make the reader hate the villain, but by the time the final battle between Miraz and Peter came, I found myself rooting for Peter, merely because he represented good, and Miraz represented evil. Miraz as a character, is so undefined in the books (in that aspect, the movie is much better). Another problem that I find with it, is the lack of action. The first part of the book, where they're on the island, is interesting because you don't know what's going to happen, but once Trumpkin arrives, and starts telling a 3 chapter story to the children about Caspian's past, things slow down really quickly. The next four or five chapters are then spent walking through the woods complaining. Lucy does add a few rays of light to the story in her bits with Aslan, and subsequent "cry for action." And then there's the really odd part with Bacchus, Silenus, Maenads, etc. . . which lasts for a chapter or two. To me, this served no purpose to the story whatsoever. It is quite odd, when it comes to the rest of the chronicles, and I've never really understood Jack's reasoning for putting it in, as it is an unnecessary filler. You see, unlike VODT, which has nothing but action and no filler material, PC is just the opposite. Prince Caspian has nothing but boring filler material, and no action whatsoever, which, in the end, doesn't it make it a very good book.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Aslansoldier » Jan 13, 2010 5:48 pm

I have not read the Last Battle yet but I will rank the rest. :)

1. MN
2. LWW
3. HHB
4. SC
5. VDT
6. PC
~Aslansoldier~
Aslansoldier
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Benjamin » Jan 20, 2010 11:56 am

I picked VOTD.

Oh it was hard enough picking my Favorite book! I could not rank them! #:-s
Avvie By Flambeau Sig by Ithilwen
Team Hoodie!!
Benjamin
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby The Pendragon » Jan 20, 2010 5:33 pm

Magician's Nephew
Horse and His Boy
Voyage of the Dawn Treader
Last Battle
Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe
Silver Chair
Prince Caspian

MN & HHB have always been my favorites. I don't even know why :p Just all of the elements give me the most excitement, and are the most enjoyable to read. Also, the characters are so lovable! & the humor Lewis sneaked in was genius!
The Pendragon
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby wolfloversk » Feb 18, 2010 9:58 am

1. HHB- mostly because of the character of Bree. It says a lot about how humans treat animals and each other. The image of when Shasta discovers who has been with him the whole time has stuck in my head, since I first read it.
2. VDT- The plot is really good, and I like how the rest of the world was explored, this was also one of the few books that lacked a major battle, but was still filled with action. Plus it calls to my "explorer side."
3. LWW- A really good plot and a very good intro into Narnia. This is the first one I've read out of the series (no, I didn't follow the publication order)
4. LB- Awesome book, some aspects however feel rushed.
5. SC- Agian I like how more of the world is explored, although it just doesn't pull on my heart like some of the others
6. MN- Okay, but the plot isn't as good as some of the others.
7. PC- I think it was good, but I could barely get through it because the flashback was so long and some of the main characters were missing for half the book
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby narnia fan 7 » Mar 13, 2010 8:46 am

Here is my list
#1 VDT
#2 HHB
#3 LWW
#4 PC
#5 MN
#6 SC
#7 LB
It's hard to ranking the book because I like them all. :D
narnia fan 7
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Mar 20, 2010 1:39 pm

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:7: Prince Caspian: This book needs a lot of work in order to be compared to the rest of the Chronicles. There are so many flaws in it, that it has become the only of the 7 books that I actually dislike. I think it's biggest problem is that it's villain is so poorly defined. There are two ways to write a book. Either you can have a villain (Like LWW) or not have a villain (like VODT). If you do have a villain, then you really need to make the reader hate the villain, but by the time the final battle between Miraz and Peter came, I found myself rooting for Peter, merely because he represented good, and Miraz represented evil. Miraz as a character, is so undefined in the books (in that aspect, the movie is much better). Another problem that I find with it, is the lack of action. The first part of the book, where they're on the island, is interesting because you don't know what's going to happen, but once Trumpkin arrives, and starts telling a 3 chapter story to the children about Caspian's past, things slow down really quickly. The next four or five chapters are then spent walking through the woods complaining. Lucy does add a few rays of light to the story in her bits with Aslan, and subsequent "cry for action." And then there's the really odd part with Bacchus, Silenus, Maenads, etc. . . which lasts for a chapter or two. To me, this served no purpose to the story whatsoever. It is quite odd, when it comes to the rest of the chronicles, and I've never really understood Jack's reasoning for putting it in, as it is an unnecessary filler. You see, unlike VODT, which has nothing but action and no filler material, PC is just the opposite. Prince Caspian has nothing but boring filler material, and no action whatsoever, which, in the end, doesn't it make it a very good book.

Really, I like #1-6 about the same...I don not like PC for the reason stated above(very well put, DiGoRyKiRkE!)
#1 MN
#2 LB
#3 SC
#4 VDT
#5 HHB
#6 LWW
#7 PC
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Reepissweet » Mar 22, 2010 2:45 pm

My Favorite book is probably The Silver Chair. I've always found it most amusing.
"Lot's of Planets have a North!" ~ The Doctor
Reepissweet
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby poggin4ever » Apr 02, 2010 10:58 am

1.HHB
2.MN
3.SC
4.VoDT
5.LB
6.LWW
7PC
poggin4ever
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Rosenquartz » Apr 02, 2010 2:15 pm

LWW is my favorite!

and this is the order of all my favorites in the series:

LWW
VotDT
SC
HHB
PC
LB
MN
avatar by lover of narnia - siggy by lover of narnia
NW Sibs: Liberty Hoffman and Glenstorm The Great
Aslan is on the movie
Rosenquartz
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 13, 2010 7:34 pm

I voted for VDT!!!!!!!

List of my favs in order:
1.VDT
2. LB
3. SC
4. MN
5. HHB
6. LWW
7. PC

I love VDT because every time i read it I want to discover something new every time and it relaxes me a lot. It's a feel good story.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

PreviousNext