This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

60th Anniversary Edition!

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

60th Anniversary Edition!

Postby Glumpuddle » Jul 02, 2010 10:58 am

The "60th Anniversary Edition" of The Chronicles of Narnia will be available this October. Check this out. I'm drooling.

http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Narnia ... 0061721085

"Beautifully bound and slipcased and printed on superior-quality paper gilded in elegant gold, this edition features a full-color map suitable for framing, a full-color timeline of Narnian history bound inside the book, and backmatter exploring Narnia through the eyes of its creator. A ribbon marker will help readers keep their place. This is the perfect indulgence for collectors and avid fans."

My only problem is that I bet the books are in the wrong order. Since they're celebrating the anniversary of LWW (1950), it would actually make sense to switch the order back, at least for this release.
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Re: 60th Anniversary Edition!

Postby Reepi » Jul 02, 2010 11:48 am

It will be, no doubt, the best release of the books so far, however, it still has the obvious faults of not using the revised texts and being in Harpercollins own ridiculous order.

The extras are something I'm having hope for, we haven't seen a full, bigger version of the Pauline Baynes map for 20 years or so. Now if they also had Lewis original timeline of the CoN instead of their own "revised" (blotched and distorted), that would be even better. No hopes for that one though.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby daughter of the King » Jul 02, 2010 1:00 pm

Wow. I want one! And it would complement my copy of LotR so nicely.

I would like to see the books in the original order as well for this addition, but it probably won't happen. Is it going to have colored illustrations or the black-and-white?
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jul 03, 2010 12:52 pm

oh wow! that looks awesome! I want one! :D
I don't really care about the order.....
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby icarus » Jul 06, 2010 11:39 am

Reepi wrote:however, it still has the obvious faults of not using the revised texts..

Not using the revised texts is a big plus for me...
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Lady Haleth » Jul 07, 2010 4:32 am

Oooo! I'd love that. It would beat our 7 paperbacks with 80's covers any day.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DOECOG » Jul 07, 2010 5:22 pm

glumPuddle wrote:My only problem is that I bet the books are in the wrong order. Since they're celebrating the anniversary of LWW (1950), it would actually make sense to switch the order back, at least for this release.

I hope they won’t put numbers on the books, that way fans could arrange the books in any order they want.
DOECOG
Daughter Of Eve
Child Of God
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are... 1 John 3:1
DOECOG
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Jul 08, 2010 2:23 am

It looks like this is a complete set in one binding - so we couldn't change the order. :(
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Reepi » Jul 10, 2010 11:17 am

icarus wrote:Not using the revised texts is a big plus for me...

Simple question: Why?
I do think the fact that Lewis did change something makes me think he had a good enough reason for it. Spare for those done solely on request of the publisher (The ending of the Dark island in VDT).

As someone who did compare the editions word for word (Only for LWW though, never got around to do the others), I find the revised version much more superior.

Fun fact (not that it matters much): Douglas Gresham reads the revised texts. :p
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Andrew » Jul 10, 2010 11:27 am

Reepi wrote:The extras are something I'm having hope for, we haven't seen a full, bigger version of the Pauline Baynes map for 20 years or so.

Ooh, we had one of those from I believe the 1970's, but my mom let us (my siblings and I) play with it when we were little, and unfortunately it kind of got ripped beyond repair and thrown out eventually. :|
5.9.2011 the day Christ saved me!

Thank you Lady Faith for the sig!
Andrew
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby icarus » Jul 10, 2010 2:03 pm

Reepi wrote:Simple question: Why?

Same reason i'm not a big fan of George Lucas' Star Wars Special Editions - Art is art, it shouldn't be modified and updated.
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Boy Scout » Jul 10, 2010 7:22 pm

This looks so great! I am going to buy this. As for the order, unless your a dufflepud, you should be able to find your way around the book.
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DamselJillPole » Jul 11, 2010 8:23 pm

This looks beautiful! ;) I'm glad that it is not revised and I don't care about the order of the stories. It looks awesome and i'm going to get one. :D
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

The Real 60th Anniversary Edition?

Postby Lucius » Oct 16, 2010 9:55 am

glumPuddle wrote:The "60th Anniversary Edition" of The Chronicles of Narnia will be available this October. Check this out. I'm drooling.
http://www.amazon.com/Chronicles-Narnia ... 0061721085
"Beautifully bound and slipcased and printed on superior-quality paper gilded in elegant gold, this edition features a full-color map suitable for framing, a full-color timeline of Narnian history bound inside the book, and backmatter exploring Narnia through the eyes of its creator. A ribbon marker will help readers keep their place. This is the perfect indulgence for collectors and avid fans."

I did check it out. Yes: "This title will be released on October 26, 2010. List Price: $100.00, Amazon Price: $63.00. And this item ships for free".

But what about The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe: A Celebration of the First Edition. List Price: $20.00, Amazon Price: $13.60

"This book in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe series is produced to celebrate the original first edition published in 1950. The covers and content have been carefully re-created, with text and images taken directly from the early printings. The books in this series will enable you to enjoy the Narnia experience as it was originally presented." (Without any numbering at all!)

What do you think? Have seen this book already? But I find it hard to believe that I just received it in my this morning's mail: on Saturday, October 16th! Originally published on Monday, 16 October 1950? If I begin reading it - is there really no danger to be suddenly transported sixty years back? 8-|
Lucius
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby De_De » Oct 16, 2010 3:07 pm

Oh I hope they have this in Russia! I would so like to buy it. I have the Chronicles in English on the computer, and my friend lent me them in Russian. I would like to get my own paper copy both in English and in Russian :ymsigh:
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Ithilwen » Oct 17, 2010 12:31 am

Wow! Beautiful! I'd love to get a copy of that someday...

The book order isn't a problem for me, seeing as I've always preferred chronological order anyway. ;)

Not sure about the whole thing you guys are talking about involving changes to the text... what changes? This is the first I've ever heard of them...

~Riella
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Next