This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

How old were you when you first read the books?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: How old were you when you first read the books?

Postby D-T » Sep 28, 2011 6:20 pm

I was some where around 6-7. you see, that was around the time when LWW came out ( it seems so long ago!) Chick-fil-a had released an adapted versoin of it and put it in the kids meals. years later I had forgotten about Narnia and then my older sister Caroline asked me to come see VTD with her I didn't really care but I went anyway
after I saw the movie, I wanted to read the books, then after I read them all, I found I was obssessed :D
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSS
D-T
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: My head is in the clouds, Im not really sure what the rest of me is doing...

Postby parableproductions » Sep 29, 2011 9:05 am

I was 18 - in my first year of college and read LWW for a book review for a New Testament class I was taking. I had never heard of the books before then. But I was hooked! I've read them many times since then (I'm 49 now) and learn something new each time I read them. During the last 4 years, I've read them to my mother - so she got to hear them for the first time at age 82. My mom had Alzheimer's and those books managed to get through the fog in her mind and she laughed and cheered in all the appropriate places. She even pointed out some of the spiritual lessons in them. So now, The Chronicles of Narnia are even more special to me than before. Mama passed away this past June - she now knows first had the joy and excitement of "further up and further in." :ymapplause:
Further up and further in!!
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 29, 2011 10:42 am

What an awesome story, parableproductions! Thank you so much for sharing that with us. My grandfather has Alzheimers, and it's nice to know that even then, God can touch the heartstrings.

Welcome to the forum!
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 29, 2011 3:08 pm

Well I think I first had LWW read to me in my second grade class... I was 7, but I never found out about the other 6 until 2005 when I was 13 and saw all the promotional stuff for the movie. So I ordered them all from the library and read them as they came (which was of course out of order). I also reread LWW, which I barely remembered, and then I saw the movie the next year and the rest is history, as they say :P

I also stumbled across the American Editions of all but HHB and LB earlier this year but I haven't started them yet... I hope too soon though :D
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 29, 2011 3:33 pm

Wolfie, if I know you, I think you'll really love the Horse and His Boy. You've never read it before? Have you listened to any of the dramatizations? Wow; just wow! It's such a beautiful story!
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 29, 2011 4:29 pm

No, I've read all 7 just I've never read the revised editions XD Even though I just bought 5 of the old American editions.

(PS and yes you're right, HHB is my fave :P) Actually when I first read them I liked it the least because at first I expected the books to solely follow the Pensevies, but when I figured out that they don't I could relate more, and in the end I loved it.

But I've heard some of the Focus in the Family performances (LWW, MN, and I wanna say VDT) They're very hard to find though.

One good thing about the movies though is that now more people know that there are 7 books at least :P
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 29, 2011 5:24 pm

Oops. . . my bad. I'm glad you've read them all. (And you really should try to find a copy of HAHB on FOTFRT. . . it's probably the best one in my opinion)
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby parableproductions » Sep 29, 2011 9:49 pm

So I'm curious now - how different are the American versions from the British?
Further up and further in!!
parableproductions
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Sep 30, 2011 4:55 am

The only differences of which I am aware (apart from obvious spelling differences) are that in the British editions, Maugrim is called Fenris Ulf, and the "Lord Rhoop" scene in VODT has a different ending.
DiGoRyKiRkE

Postby wolfloversk » Sep 30, 2011 7:01 am

These are of course the McMillian American Editions. Lewis at one point in time revised the chronicles, but when Harper Collins got the rights they switched back to the originals.

I only know of the same differences that Digs mentioned, though I'm sure he reworded a few sentences.
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Lilygloves » Oct 20, 2011 3:21 pm

I just remembered that my first word was "Lewis", so even as a baby I subconsciously knew I would be a C.S. Lewis fan! :D
Lilygloves
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnialuver » Nov 09, 2011 7:24 am

I was 9. and I loved them I want to Re-read them. I have not read them for a long time. but first I want to read LotR.

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012
narnialuver
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Narnia-Forever » Nov 16, 2011 3:00 pm

I was about 11 when I found this old falling apart copy of the LWW in my gramma's basement, it apparently was my mom's. The funny thing was that I read it withouth knowing anything about it whatsoever, only when Aslan resurrected I was like "mommy this sounds alot like Jesus in the Bible!" and she explained to me the whole symbolism behind the book :)
I am now 17 and I have just re-read the whole series again...gosh there is so much more to it then I though! Narnia is now for sure my fav books for ever and EVER! :)
Narnia-Forever
"For Narnia and for Aslan!!!!!!!!!!"
Narnia-Forever
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Gildor_Inglorion » Nov 16, 2011 3:09 pm

Wow Narnia-Forever! That's really cool! :D
Gildor_Inglorion
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous