This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Telmarine Ancestry

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Re: Telmarine Ancestry

Postby DOECOG » May 18, 2010 12:29 am

According to a Narnian timeline that came with my copy of the books, in 430 Narnian Year/sometime between 1933-1940 AD “Pirates from our world take possession of Telmar.” In 1998 NY/1940-1941 AD “The Telmarines invade and conquer Narnia. Caspian I becomes King of Narnia.”

So the Telmaries were in Narnia (the world) during the Golden Age, but they had yet to conquer the country. Aravis mentions her brother was killed fighting an enemy in the west. I think she’s referring to the Telmarines. I think they were probably English because Lewis never mentions any kind of language barrier. We can assume the Narnians spoke English since Frank and Helen were English.

Does anyone know where is the South Sea? Is this a specific location that goes by a different name now or is South Sea a general term that covers a large area?
DOECOG
Daughter Of Eve
Child Of God
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are... 1 John 3:1
DOECOG
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » May 18, 2010 7:00 am

The only sea that I know of, which contains the word "south" is the south china sea.

The French were known for colonizing this area, but the British had colonies in southern China (Hong Kong), and I believe that the Dutch had colonies in Indonesia. But around that time (our world) I think that most of them had pulled out of their colonies, but the British didn't surrender Hong Kong until much later. . . I don't know. Perhaps we're reading into this a bit too much ;))
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby DamselJillPole » May 18, 2010 2:01 pm

CS Lewis was always a man that wasn't clear on certain things. I happen to like the Spanish descents in the movie and everyone has their different opinion. I guess we'll never know who the Telmarines were with our diverse opinions.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Previous