This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Games in Narnia

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Games in Narnia

Postby Reepi » May 01, 2010 11:02 pm

I was thinking recently, what kind of games might the Narnians play in their free time? Do they have gambling there already? Considering simple dice games go back way early since before recorded history and already had something as sophisticated as backgammon goes back about 5.000 years, I can imagine Narnians had similar things to do in their free time (especially in the non-war times where "one week was better than the one before").
What do you think?
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Games in Narnia

Postby ChristProclamer » May 02, 2010 5:37 pm

Interesting question.
Well, Ed has a chess set by the time of the Golden Age, and chess apparently was still played in Caspian's reign, as Lucy and Reepicheep played it aboard the Dawn Treader.
I believe gambling was mentioned in PC, where Glozelle says, "I'd wager my dappled pomely..."
Probably early Narnians played whatever games Frank and Helen were accustomed to, and taught their children.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Reepi » May 03, 2010 3:17 am

Interesting enough, I think many things in Narnian culture would go back to Frank and Helen, some degree of technology as well as Christmas. I'd guess with chess it would be the same, if it wasn't introduced by the Pevensies during the Golden Age.
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby daughter of the King » May 03, 2010 12:47 pm

I would also guess that chess was brought in by Frank and Helen. Other than chess, the only game I can think of is the Snow Dance in SC, which is sort of a game and sort of a ceremony at the same time.
ChristProclamer wrote:Probably early Narnians played whatever games Frank and Helen were accustomed to, and taught their children.

I would assume so. And I think those games would still be played even at the time of LB, although perhaps somewhat altered.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby DamselJillPole » May 07, 2010 12:52 pm

Yes I would think the humans who came into Narnia would bring ideas to the Narnian's about certain games that they played from their world and I'm sure the Narnian's also asked questions about certain things as well.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Aravis Narnia » May 08, 2010 5:20 pm

I wonder if they had any new sports involving the abilities of the creatures in Narnia. For example, if the Centaurs had races or even triathlons.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ChristProclamer » May 11, 2010 3:45 pm

I think it would be safe to assume they had races. I mean--how could you live at Cair Paravel and not go racing on the beach?
Do jousts count? HHB and VoDT both mention jousting, though I suppose that's a given in a medieval world...
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby -centaur- » May 14, 2010 11:27 am

In PC, it is mentioned that Peter took place in a great tournament in the Lone Islands, so apparently, as Aravis Narnia wondered, they did have skill competitions
-centaur-
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby daughter of the King » May 15, 2010 5:38 pm

ChristProclamer wrote:Do jousts count? HHB and VoDT both mention jousting, though I suppose that's a given in a medieval world...

-centaur- wrote:In PC, it is mentioned that Peter took place in a great tournament in the Lone Islands, so apparently, as Aravis Narnia wondered, they did have skill competitions

I can't believe I forgot those! Yes, jousts and tournaments count. Actually, I think sparring, archery tournaments and the like would be the main entertainment a lot of the time. In PC it is mentioned that Trumpkin was considered a great archer among the Dwarfs, although that could have been proved in battle instead of a contest.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Boy Scout » Jul 18, 2010 7:31 am

What about the Great Snow Dance? I am pretty sure that would count as a game.
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Reepi » Jul 18, 2010 1:04 pm

Well, maybe if you on purpose try to hit the others in the face :P
jk, jk ;)
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Boy Scout » Sep 12, 2010 5:49 pm

I guess that the dufflepuds races were games. (But now I'm just saying the world of Narnia. ;) )
Packers=13 time Wrold Champs!

I'm not inactive, I'm just very, very, busy.
Boy Scout
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Katana » Oct 22, 2010 12:49 pm

Chess im sure was introduced by King Frank and Queen Helen, my thought is that Narnians had several card games, dice games, board games (checkers, chess etc.) as well as more physical games such as races or tennis.Im sure narnian children also had such games as hopscotch or tag.
Many of there games may have some similarities to our own (though im sure they were quite different over all, i mean why would fawns and centaurs and dwarves and mermaids have the same games as humans) Im sure there were also certain games that were only played by a specific race like centaurs or mermaids.

-Katana
Im not inactive just very very busy
-Katana, Member of the Midnight Society, Weapons afficionado of the castle of Ivory&Gold, esteemed owner of a flying pickle
Katana
NarniaWeb Nut

Location: Sitting on a sunny windowsill in the back hallway reading a book

Postby Valiant » Oct 23, 2010 5:05 pm

The Telmariens would have had an influence as well. I'm sure Narnians would have invented their own games as well. I think every civilization does, so I would assume the Narnians do too. That is a very interesting question. :)

Katana, thats an interesting though. Yes different races might have their own games. If I were in Narnia, I would want to play with the dryads.
Signature by daughter of the King; Avatar by Adeona

Keeper of the Secret Magic
Valiant
NarniaWeb Guru