This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnia Maps

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Narnia Maps

Postby Lucy P. » Apr 04, 2010 8:23 pm

We know that Harfang and Ettinsmoor are north of Narnia, Archenland to the south, and Calormen to the south of Archenland. We have a sketchy idea of the placement of the Lone Islands.
Here's my question: what is Narnia's shape? All the maps (including the one hanging on my bedroom wall) are rather vague. I can't find any boundaries, and even the coastline differs from map to map, as you will see if you compare maps on the bottom of this page:
http://cslewis.drzeus.net/multimedia/

What do you think Narnia looks like? What are your reasons?
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Narnia Maps

Postby Berserker » Apr 05, 2010 4:22 am

I would imagine Narnia corresponds roughly to the eastern coast of Britain, if Lewis was anything at all like his peers, who tended to apply real-world geography to their fantasy worlds. Overall I'd say it can be imagined as a large island.
Berserker
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby HighQueenofNarnia » Apr 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Can't be, Berserker. Well, unless you say that a continent is a large island. But you could say an ocean is a ginormous lake. Anyway, Telmar is to the West of Narnia.
Narnia's Northern Border: In SC, it seems like it is a river.
Narnia's Southern Border: We know that the Winding Arrow is Archenland's border with Calormen from HHB. Is the border the mountain ranges and Mt. Pike?
Narnia's Eastern Border: The easiest one- the sea!
Narnia's Western Border: Somewhere in the Western Wood, and on the other side is Telmar.
So, it's bordered to the Northern and Southern Marches by rivers, East the sea, and west a forest. I'd say it's a rough rectangle, with the Wild Lands to the west. And Calormen, I think, extends farther west than Narnia. But the whole thing is like Pangaea.
And, of course, it's flat!
Pray for Skandar member! PM Benjamin to join!
I saw the film on Opening Day!
When all else fails, read the Instructions!
HighQueenofNarnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 09, 2010 4:33 pm

The books explain that the world of Narnia is flat.
It's kind of like the argument with Earth back in the day before satalites. People thought once that the earth was flat and that we would go over the edge if we sailed too far.
With Narnia going east you'll head into Aslan's country. If you sail north or south then yeah you'll go off an edge somewhere. I assume.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic