This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Fenris Ulf?

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Fenris Ulf?

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 15, 2010 1:17 pm

I have three copies of LWW. in two of them, Maugrim's name is changed to Fenris Ulf.....and in the other one, his name is Maugrim. does anyone know why?
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Re: Fenris Ulf?

Postby daughter of the King » Mar 15, 2010 3:07 pm

In the early American versions Maugrim's name was changed to Fenris Ulf. I don't remember why though. His name was changed back in later printings which is why his name is Maugrim in the movies. In the musical, however, he is called Fenris Ulf because of the early versions. Fenris Ulf had some sort of significance to it, but I forget what. :ymblushing: I'll probably wake up sometime in the middle of the night and remember.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby stargazer » Mar 15, 2010 3:44 pm

There were a number of differences between the old American versions (published by Collier/Macmillan) and the British versions; I believe some of these were discussed on the old forum. New US editions have been changed to match the British.

At least 2 of those early changes relate to the inclusion of Norse mythology in American versions of LWW:

Fenris Ulf is likely a reference to Fenrir, a nasty wolf in Norse mythology that was said to ultimately play a significant part in Ragnarok (the Norse end-times battle).

Another was a reference to the World Ash Tree (Yggdrasil) - a crucial part of Norse cosmology (world/universe structure) - in LWW chapter 13, "Deep Magic from the Dawn of Time." The British version has "fire-stones of the Secret Hill" instead.

Paul Ford's Companion to Narnia contains discussion on some of the changes made between the versions.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Pyxis » Mar 15, 2010 6:07 pm

I remember that the version my fourth-grade teacher read to my class had Fenris Ulf instead of Maugrim in it. She told the class about the name change, and I remember thinking "Fenris Ulf" sounded cooler than "Maugrim." :p
http://sixlittlecurlyfries.blogspot.com A collaborative blog written by me and my five friends.

aut viam inveniam aut faciam
Pyxis
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 16, 2010 11:14 am

daughter of the King wrote:In the early American versions Maugrim's name was changed to Fenris Ulf. I don't remember why though. His name was changed back in later printings which is why his name is Maugrim in the movies. In the musical, however, he is called Fenris Ulf because of the early versions. Fenris Ulf had some sort of significance to it, but I forget what. :ymblushing: I'll probably wake up sometime in the middle of the night and remember.

yeah, I figured Maugrim must have been the original! thanks!

stargazer wrote:There were a number of differences between the old American versions (published by Collier/Macmillan) and the British versions; I believe some of these were discussed on the old forum. New US editions have been changed to match the British.

At least 2 of those early changes relate to the inclusion of Norse mythology in American versions of LWW:

Fenris Ulf is likely a reference to Fenrir, a nasty wolf in Norse mythology that was said to ultimately play a significant part in Ragnarok (the Norse end-times battle).

Another was a reference to the World Ash Tree (Yggdrasil) - a crucial part of Norse cosmology (world/universe structure) - in LWW chapter 13, "Deep Magic from the Dawn of Time." The British version has "fire-stones of the Secret Hill" instead.

Paul Ford's Companion to Narnia contains discussion on some of the changes made between the versions.

that makes sense! thanks! well, I like the name Maugrim better! :p :D :ymhug:
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 09, 2010 4:47 pm

In America Maugrim's name was changed to Fenris Ulf. In 1998 I played Lucy on stage and his name was Fenris Ulf but in an old copy that I got from my uncle who lived in England of LWW his name is Maugrim. It has to do with a meaning and Lewis probably thought American's wont get it.

IDK I just like the name Maugrim better than Fenris Ulf.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic