This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnia vs. Eragon

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Narnia vs. Eragon

Postby The Servant » Mar 10, 2010 10:34 am

Hello everyone,
On http://www.suvudu.com/, they are hosting a poll that I will title a battle between series. There are many different series vs. other series, but it will all get broken down into more re-matches (just like in a game or debate tournament) until it is just one series vs another series. It is actually not necessarily between book series but between characters. But people will vote by which book series they think was better.

Narnia is one of those series (Aslan is the character) is one of them. He is matched against Eragon. People will vote for which one they think is better. Whichever one gets the most votes as a better series will get into the next round. Make sure to vote for Narnia.

I have already posted the link to suvudu.com, and all the matches are on the main page.

Today is the last day to vote. It looks like Aslan is winning, but in the future matches, people will vote for another person. It'd be good if we just check back every day to vote for him. Make him win. Make sure to vote. Thanks guys.

EDIT: Just checked it again, it looks like Aslan is winning.
- The Servant.

Prayer partners for Skandar Keynes. PM Benjamin to join the group!
The Servant
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Narnia vs. Eragon

Postby Aravis Narnia » Mar 12, 2010 2:30 pm

Eragon is just a regular human being. Aslan is the deity. That is in no way a match. A fairer comparison would be Eragon vs. Caspian, to be honest.

Anyhow, I liked Eragon and have read all 3 books and watched (and enjoyed) the movie. I even gave an Eragon map and geography book to the teenage son of one of my colleagues- and boy was he fascinated by it. While I like Narnia much better, I harbor no bitterness or spite towards Eragon like I do towards His Dark Materials. In fact, I wish that the Eragon movie had enjoyed more success at the theatres.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 12, 2010 5:57 pm

this wasn't hard for me: I didn't really like the Eragon books or movie. so I vote Narnia!!!!! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 07, 2010 12:46 pm

It's Narnia all the way for me. Love the books and film. I do like the movie Eragon but I've never read the books and those who did hates the movie. But that's only the people that hang around me. IDk if I'll ever read the Eragon books because they are so huge. The first one is probably bigger then all 7 Narnia books combined.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Hermitess of Narnia » Apr 14, 2010 5:13 pm

I read Eragon and Eldest, I wouldn't recommend Eldest though because it has a lot of drinking (more than Narnia, can you imagine that?), frequent mind reading, and some other things.
Here's a review for Eragon: http://www.squeakycleanreviews.com/revi ... iew_id=949

Narnia is better, some people have told me Eragon is sort of cliched, but that would be expected since it was written by a teenager.
Hermitess of Narnia
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Apr 15, 2010 6:39 am

Hmm, I have to disagree with one of your main points, Hermitess of Narnia. Just because something is written by a teenager doesn't necessarily equate it with being a cliche novel. Age has nothing to do with literary abilities.

I think that Narnia is better than Eragon not due to the fact that the author of Narnia had more age and thus more life experience. I like Narnia because I think that it has a simpler more coherent plotline. I found Eragon confusing me to death after just a couple of chapters, whereas Narnia is never confusing.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby Lady Galadriel » Apr 15, 2010 10:11 am

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:Hmm, I have to disagree with one of your main points, Hermitess of Narnia. Just because something is written by a teenager doesn't necessarily equate it with being a cliche novel. Age has nothing to do with literary abilities.

I agree. Although Eragon does have a number of cliche points. (I've read all three books.) But I'll just say that it has definite similarities to The Lord of the Rings, and apparently also to Star Wars, although I have not read or seen Star Wars to know.

Although, cliches or not, I am impressed that at his age, the author of Eragon has managed to write such large books. Writing a storyline that spans over hundreds of pages isn't easy.

Anyways, I didn't vote on this poll, but in my opinion, Eragon versus Aslan is not a good match. Aslan is stated again and again to be the High King over all kings. Eragon is a former farm boy who happens to turn into a Dragon Rider. It's just not an equal match.
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby daughter of the King » Apr 15, 2010 6:59 pm

Agreed that Aslan versus Eragon is a horrible match. There is no comparison. As for the actual Eragon book series, I liked them. They were a little too much like LotR in some spots, and the first one had a plot that was extremely similar to Star Wars, but the similarities don't bother me as much as the length. I don't mind a 600 page book if the story needs it, but honestly, I think a more experienced writer could have told the story in 400 pages. They were impressive for being the first thing he published, though.
Narniaweb sister to Pattertwig's Pal
daughter of the King
Princess Dot

Postby Lady Haleth » May 29, 2010 4:38 am

I read Eragon, Eldest and Brisinger. I used to like them, but now I don't, because Eragon's lack of intelligence really gets on my nerves. He wouldn't even be able to stand and look Aslan in the face.
The glory of God is man fully alive--St. Iraneus
Salvation is a fire in the midnight of the soul-Switchfoot
Lady Haleth
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby DOECOG » Jun 03, 2010 9:48 pm

I've read Eragon, Eldest and part of Brisingr. They're good books but Narnia is way better. Narnia has a lot of depth to it but it is also an easy fun read. The inheritance series can get too tedious at times.
DOECOG
Daughter Of Eve
Child Of God
How great is the love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are... 1 John 3:1
DOECOG
NarniaWeb Nut