This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite Narnian Male

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

Choose which of these lucky lads you like the most.

Edmund (LWW/PC/VDT)
38%
Peter (LWW/PC)
17%
Eustace (VDT/SC)
9%
Digory (MN/LWW)
6%
Shasta (HHB)
6%
Corin (HHB)
1%
Caspian (PC/VDT)
11%
Rillian (SC)
2%
Tirian (LB)
9%
Other (please specify)
1%

Total votes : 171

Re: Favorite Narnian Male

Postby Ryadian » Jul 12, 2014 11:29 am

Honestly, my favorite character--male or female--varies from book to book. ;)) Admittedly, that's kind of my way of justifying not having to pick a favorite, generally speaking. ;)

In the end, though, I voted for Edmund. I really, really love seeing the maturity Edmund gains after his redemption. :) From being the first character to trust Lucy's judgment in PC to being the one to talk to Eustace on the beach in VDT. Also, I like that he's a practical and level-headed character, but he's not above some snark from time to time. ;)) (I refer you to the infamous "Girls don't carry a map in their heads" scene. ;)) ) Also, as a side benefit, Edmund appears in three of my top 4 favorite Chronicles--in order, The Horse and His Boy, Voyage of the Dawn Treader, and of course The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe. ;)

After Edmund, though, I think my next favorite character is Eustace, for similar reasons. (Yes, I love a good redemption story. ;) ) I also enjoy that, while his circumstances are similar to Edmund's, he never seems to take certain things for granted the same way that the Pevensies do. Since he didn't live in Narnia for years and years, at the beginning of The Silver Chair, he's still a little uncertain about how to call out to Aslan, relying entirely on what he witnessed in the events of VDT. This has more to do with how the story is told than Eustace himself, but still--I enjoy the opportunity to see Narnia through fresh eyes again, though without the need for the characters to start completely in the dark again. :)

And, if there had been three options, Shasta would have been third. ;)) Like I said before, The Horse and His Boy is my favorite Chronicle, and Shasta's character is a big part of that. Again, I like the opportunity to see the world of Narnia through a different perspective--this time, someone who has lived in the world, but has never known Narnia itself until the end. I also like that he starts the story with a certain degree of honor and courage, even having been raised as little better than a slave by a fisherman--and even without knowing his true identity. Yes, he still does some questionable things (such as all the "raiding"), but I think those are outweighed by both his character development and the moments where he shows great courage (such as, most notably, going back to rescue Aravis and Hwin from a Lion).
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Elfiea » Feb 13, 2015 9:34 am

This was a hard choice, to say the least.

But I had to go with Edmund. He grows a lot over the series, becoming a quietly confident young man from an insecure kid. He learns to know what is right and true and learns to say and do those things, without fearing what others think of him or anything else. That's a quality that I wish I had more of.

But I have so many other favorites...

Caspian has always been a favorite. I find him almost funny, because in Prince Caspian he has literally no idea what he's doing and he's trying to muster this whole army that is honestly quite distrustful of him. But he succeeds anyway (with a little help).

Corin. Seriously, he's such an odd choice. But I love that's he's so sassy and so enthusiastic about life.

And finally, Tirian. It's been awhile since I've read The Last Battle (even though it's my favorite Narnia book), but I remember liking him a lot. He holds true to his beliefs even in the darkest of times.
Thanks to daughter of the King for the avatar!
Elfiea
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby HazyHays » Nov 14, 2016 12:35 pm

Edmund is my choice. He is a risk taker and sure he makes mistakes, but we all do and we have to learn from them as he did. He became a lot stronger because of his mistakes and learning from them. Just look at how much he grew from the first movie to the third movie.
"Daughter of Eve from the far land of Spare Oom, around the bright city War Drobe, how would it be if you came and had tea with me?"~ Mr. Tumnus
HazyHays
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby ErlianRain » Dec 11, 2016 7:09 am

It's funny, when I was younger, I really liked Peter. I would've said he was my favorite in a heartbeat. I admired him a lot in the books (the movies really took away a lot of his redeemable qualities, but I understood why those decisions were made). He always protected his siblings, even when he had no clue what was going on, and he was always so strong and valiant in my mind. To the youthful me, he was like a shining knight, and I liked that about him.

However, as I have aged and really spent a lot of time reading each book, I find that Edmund has really become my favorite. I've grown to really like characters that start out pretty rotten but they grow and mature and are redeemed in the end. To me, Edmund is the most relatable character in the Narnia series, and I feel that this is how it should be. In a way, we're all in Edmund's place in the grand scheme of things, if you take into account the religious tones of the story. So yes. Edmund is my favorite. Which is hilarious because looking back to my days watching the animated movie, I can clearly remember how much I despised him haha.
ErlianRain
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby puddleglum32 » Sep 16, 2017 6:59 am

HazyHays wrote:Edmund is my choice. He is a risk taker and sure he makes mistakes, but we all do and we have to learn from them as he did. He became a lot stronger because of his mistakes and learning from them. Just look at how much he grew from the first movie to the third movie.

Could not agree more!! It is so cool to see him mature throughout the books and even glimpses in HHB of how he is as an adult. I think that they did a pretty good job of it in the movies for the most part.

Founder of the Switchfoot Club.
Co-founder of the newly restored Edmund Club! Check it out on the Talk About Narnia forum!
puddleglum32
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby lumosdeus » Feb 17, 2018 4:39 am

Woah, I was surprised to see that Edmund had the most votes. I absolutely love Peter's character, how obnoxious he may be at times :D

Proud Narnian
lumosdeus
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby King_Erlian » Feb 19, 2018 3:24 am

Can't believe I missed this poll for so long! I voted "off the grid". Technically, he's not a Narnian, he's an Archenlander, but I voted for King Lune. He seems to exude so much joy, as well as courtesy, kindness, courage, strength and a wry sense of humour. If they ever do make a film of The Horse And His Boy, I want to play him!
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 05, 2018 9:23 pm

It is hard to choose, but I think it is Edmund. I love his character arc. Not only within LWW, but I love the glimpse you get of him in HHB, and how he's grown so much and because a wonderful king! That was a nice touch on Lewis' part as an author.
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Mingxy » Jun 11, 2018 11:05 am

My favourite male character, is definitely Caspian. (Peter a close second!)
The way he appears a bit insecure at times, yet pulls through every time and proves he can do it - I see a bit of myself in him. It may be a little silly, but it gives me hope. :)

As for Peter, the way he looks after his siblings, I too can see a little bit of myself in him as well being the oldest at home.
C.S. Lewis — 'Once a king or queen of Narnia, always a king or queen of Narnia.'
Mingxy
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Artorius Pendragon » Dec 12, 2018 1:49 pm

For a long time Edmund was my favorite character, period. However, after a reinvestigation of the first three books, and the corresponding Walden movies, Peter became my favorite. Having a younger brother myself, and having many of the same feelings and character arcs that Peter goes through, I really relate to him. For a long time in my older teen years I was like Peter for the first half of Prince Caspian, I could be nice and pleasent. However, I also felt like people didn't give me the respect that I "deserved", and so, got angry at them. (which ironically means that I didn't deserve the respect that I thought I did.) Anyway, Peter really was an eyeopening character (specifically in the movie, but also the book) for me of just how damaging my pride is, and an inspiration of the chance of humility through following Aslan, or in my case, Christ.
(To all who are interested, you can check out my book youtube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC__yqP ... _as=public)
Further up and further in!!!
Artorius Pendragon
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Sir Edmond the just » Dec 17, 2018 7:44 pm

Edmond an example as to how i am as a Christian.
He was the second to see aslan when peter and susan could not.
“Awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew
Sir Edmond the just
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Geekicheep » Aug 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Whoops! Sorry, I didn't see the poll on the first page! :D

Yeah, so as far as favorite HUMAN Narnian male (which had me confused because few if any humans in the series are actually Narnian), I would have to say Edmund. I can totally relate to his character; not so much the messing with your sister part (I was the one who got messed with in our family back in the day), but absolutely with what happened to him in Narnia. Now as much as the White Witch freaked me out as a kid (which you can read about in my post on "favorite Narnian villain"), there is admittedly something attractive about her (like the forbidden fruit lol). And from Edmund's perspective she really was nice. She got him thinking she really cared about him, enough to take him in and make him a king. She gave him his favorite food, and wrapped her mantle around him to warm him up, and even her magic just seemed really nice. But of course, then she turns a bunch of defenseless animals to stone, tries to kill him, and you know the rest. He messed up, and messed up bad, and I've fallen into temptation too. But thankfully, another thing we have in common is that Someone paid the price for us. Now I loved reading/watching Peter, Caspian and the rest, but first pick? Gotta be Edmund.
Yes, I'm a mouse... I mean, a geek!
Geekicheep
NarniaWeb Regular

Previous