This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

"He is not a tame Lion."

The cultures, creatures, geography — anything about the books!

Moderators: DiGoRyKiRkE, Varnafinde

"He is not a tame Lion."

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 12, 2014 4:53 pm

So said King Tirian in The Last Battle. Many other characters indicated the same thing at other points in the series. What do you think they mean when they say that Aslan is not "tame"? Has there ever been a time when you, as a reader, felt uncomfortable because of something Aslan said or did?

I remember reading the scene at the beginning of The Silver Chair where Jill asks Aslan if he eats girls, and his response was, "I have swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms." If I recall correctly, I do believe my reaction to that line was somewhere in between "Wow, that escalated quickly" and "That was really dark."

As I've grown older, though, and read the books more and more times, I've come to view the exchange a bit differently. After she nearly killed heroic Eustace with her pride and recklessness, Jill then compounded the awful situation by refusing to own up to the fact that the accident was her own fault. It's not surprising to me that Jill would find herself in a situation where she feared for her life, just as Eustace must have feared for his when he tried to save Jill.

It's actually quite similar to Aravis and her attitude about her servant... while Jill was unwilling to accept that she was at fault (and even blamed Eustace!), Aravis was unrepentant for causing her servant to be beaten—she actually said she was glad for her to be whipped. Jill did not own up to what she had done until she had feared for her life, as Eustace had feared for his, and had gone to the Lion. Aravis did not repent for her wrongdoing until Aslan had clawed her on the back, just as her servant had been beaten, and Aravis had gone to the Lion. There are a lot of parallels.

In many ways, I think that Aslan is really only as "tame" as our choices, and our attitudes about them. :-? What do you guys think?
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: "He is not a tame Lion."

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 12, 2014 5:13 pm

My favorite part of the 'swallowed' scene is the bit where the narrator says "and he sounded neither glad nor sorry". It works not because Aslan is unemotional but because the action is one traditionally associated with lions.

I think it's deft characterization: someone else might have made Aslan a man in a lion skin, but Aslan does...lion-y things.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 17, 2014 9:27 pm

Meltintalle wrote:My favorite part of the 'swallowed' scene is the bit where the narrator says "and he sounded neither glad nor sorry". It works not because Aslan is unemotional but because the action is one traditionally associated with lions.

I think it's deft characterization: someone else might have made Aslan a man in a lion skin, but Aslan does...lion-y things.

That's true! I remember glumPuddle saying on the podcast that he took it not as a metaphor, but rather that Aslan had physically swallowed these things. Still, it would be interesting to see Aslan swallow an entire realm. :-?

I also got the impression from "neither glad nor sorry" that it was something that had to be done, from the standpoint of justice. It's very intriguing to ponder.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Jul 18, 2014 6:03 am

Yeah, we had a HUGE discussion last year (I think it was) in a topic called "Did Aslan eat?" about whether or not the "consumption" of realms, children, adults, etc.... was metaphorical or not.

You can probably find it by searching some of the older topics in TAN

(If it's locked, and you want it reopened, shoot me a PM and I can take care of that ;) )
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 22, 2014 10:20 am

I always thought it to be metaphorical, but perhaps not, then. It is an interesting thing to think about it, though.

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I also got the impression from "neither glad nor sorry" that it was something that had to be done, from the standpoint of justice. It's very intriguing to ponder.

That's the feeling I was getting as well.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 27, 2014 1:58 pm

DiGoRyKiRkE wrote:Yeah, we had a HUGE discussion last year (I think it was) in a topic called "Did Aslan eat?" about whether or not the "consumption" of realms, children, adults, etc.... was metaphorical or not.

You can probably find it by searching some of the older topics in TAN.

Thanks, I found it! It's strange to think of Aslan eating people for sustenance. It's always seemed like more of a justice-related thing to me. Still, the question of Aslan eating at all is very interesting. We don't know what he did on his "time off" so to speak. I'm rather tempted to think that he went back to his own country for dinner, but who knows?
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby LadyBessofWistry » Nov 15, 2017 8:04 pm

I actually wrote a 20 page essay for school on this exact subject a year ago and would be happy to share the main points sometime if anyone was still interested. (Not the eating, but the "not a tame lion" repeated theme). Only came across the forum post because I'm looking for discussion topics on a new paper I'm writing.
LadyBessofWistry
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 17, 2017 11:38 am

^I would be interested in hearing your thoughts on this, LadyBessofWistry! It continues to be an interesting topic, especially with The Silver Chair moving into pre-production soon and a new interpretation of the character on the horizon. :)

(This is really belated considering you joined in 2010, but since this is your first post on the forum... welcome to NarniaWeb!)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Reepicheep775 » Nov 17, 2017 6:37 pm

I also think of Aslan swallowing up "girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms" as being about justice. We never see Aslan eating for sustenance (correct me if I'm wrong), but if he did I don't think he would eat a rational being just because he was hungry. Doing so would certainly make him unsafe, but I think it would show that he isn't good. Mr. Beaver makes it pretty clear that Aslan is unsafe and good. In some ways I think it's his goodness that makes him scary. A good and powerful lion is a terrifying thing when you have a guilty conscience.

As for Aslan eating those things literally... I've always thought of the "girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors" part as being literal. He has a mouth, and teeth, and presumably a stomach, so I don't see why not. The "cities and realms" part though... probably not literal. But what do I know? :-??
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Nov 18, 2017 7:44 pm

Reepicheep775 wrote:I've always thought of the "girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors" part as being literal. He has a mouth, and teeth, and presumably a stomach, so I don't see why not. The "cities and realms" part though... probably not literal. But what do I know? :-??

When pondering this in the past, I feel like I probably haven't been considering the creation of Narnia enough. Aslan sang Narnia into existence, and if you play that scene in reverse, it is kind of like he's swallowing up a realm. So perhaps Lewis was thinking along those lines with that last part... it does make a bit more sense to me than the thought of Aslanzilla chowing down on a city. ;))

One other thought that comes to mind is the way that Aslan's gigantic shadow swallows up all those who reject him when night falls on Narnia in The Last Battle... that is more of a metaphorical interpretation, but I think it seems like a more terrible fate than the literal one.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby LadyBessofWistry » Dec 13, 2017 3:05 am

Basically my essay boiled down the answer to 3 main points: First, a terrifying, unpredictable God was a more medieval view of deity than most modern people accept and Lewis as a medieval scholar could have been bringing in that element with many of the other medieval culture that he introduced to the world of Narnia.

Second, a belief in a God that is beyond human control and understanding creates more of a feeling of awe or what Lewis termed the "numinous," which in turn brought us closer to truly understanding the God of the universe that Lewis believed bigger and more beyond our understanding than anything.

Finally, several of the most violent and frightening of the episodes with Aslan in the Chronicles have parallels in the vengeance wreaked by the God of the Old Testament. If you want more precise examples, I traced these in my paper.

Two of the quotes I came across in my research also seemed particularly interesting. One was that according to one medieval theologian/philosopher, the only way to truly describe God was to say what he was not, because no words we have could ever truly encompass all of any attribute of God...i.e. he is not tame, not he is wild. Secondly, in one of Lewis' letters he writes:

‘Gentle Jesus’, my elbow! The most striking thing about Our Lord is the union of great ferocity with extreme tenderness. (Remember Pascal? ‘I do not admire the extreme of one virtue unless you show me at the same time the extreme of the opposite virtue. One shows one’s greatness not by being at an extremity but by being simultaneously at two extremities and filling all the space between.’) [emphasis in the original] (Yours, Jack 315-316).

This has become one of my favorites of his quotes, though sometimes it's hard to wrap my head around the idea at being at both extremities and filling the whole spectrum in between. But one can try--perhaps that was what was meant by rationalists who encouraged control of ones passions in the 18th century.
LadyBessofWistry
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby lone_islander » Jan 23, 2018 11:30 am

My first post so hope all goes well! I hope I haven't repeated anything.

I would take "not tame" simply to mean that no one cant control Aslan, he is not a tool to be used but rather the Narnian saviour who will use others in his plan such as the Pevensies. Perhaps some of what Aslan says is uncomfortable, but it will be the truth.

What I did find not so uncomfortable but challenging when he states, "Work against the Emperors Magic?" after frowning upon the suggestion it occurs to no one to mention it again. I know had I suggested that I might fell slightly ashamed afterwards. That quote has always stuck out to me but that's just my opinion.
lone_islander
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Valiant_Nymph » May 06, 2018 5:52 pm

I agree with you Ione Islander. I took it to mean that Aslan cannot be controlled by anyone else. I also assumed it meant that he doesn't always operate according to human logic. For example, he didn't come in and save the Narnians in Prince Caspian the exact same way as he does in LWW, even though we might expect him to, and that's what WE would have done if we were him.
Valiant_Nymph
NarniaWeb Junkie