This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ideas for Narnia T-Shirts

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Ideas for Narnia T-Shirts

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 11, 2014 12:02 pm

Would you wear a Narnia-themed t-shirt? What kind of slogans or graphics or scenes would you like to see depicted on them?

There are so many lines in Narnia that would be perfect for going on a t-shirt. I'd love to see one with the prophecy from LWW on it, or Narnia Awake, or We are all between the paws of the true Aslan. I'd also love to see a t-shirt with the Pauline Baynes' illustration of the beech dryad from LB; it's so pretty. I can also definitely imagine a gray tee with a red lion emblem on it, mimicking Rilian's changed shield.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: Ideas for Narnia T-Shirts

Postby HyperWing » Jul 02, 2016 12:32 pm

There's so many I can't possible list them all! There is one in particular that comes to mind though. It's one of my favorite lines said by Peter in the Disney LW&W "For Aslan, and for Narnia!". I think this with the scene of him on the unicorn while his sword is raised in the air would be awesome!
HyperWing
HyperWing
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 26, 2016 7:49 pm

I like the ideas you both have come up with, Rose and HyperWing. :)

One of my favourite lines in CoN is in PC when Aslan turns to Edmund and says "Well done." But that might be a bit too obscure to make it on a t-shirt. ;))

This would probably be too complex/detailed, but how about the "I was the lion" speech laid out so it formed the shape of a lion? Or, this would be simple, how about a shirt with "No one is told any story but their own."?
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 27, 2016 1:18 pm

I like that shirt idea as well, HyperWing!

Ooh, I love the idea of that Aslan quote in the shape of a lion, Valia! That would be so cool. :D And I love the idea of a shirt that says "No one is told any story but their own." I would definitely wear that; that's one of my favorite Aslan quotes.

I'm rather tempted to try to make some of these myself. ;)) I wonder how difficult it would be to use that bleach and stencil method to make a basic silhouette of the Pauline Baynes' dryad illustration....
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 27, 2016 4:51 pm

Thanks, Rose! :) It is a great quote.

Oooh, that sounds like fun! It would probably depend on how good you are at drawing silhouettes. ;)) I've been drawing a blank---which book is the dryad illustration in? :ymblushing: If you do make it (or any other shirts), I'd love to see it. :) (Though perhaps...Fan Art? Costumes? might be a better forum. ;)))
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 27, 2016 6:37 pm

I'd also like to see Puddleglum's speech in SC as a marshwiggle text silhouette... B-)

My experience with DIY t-shirts is in hand-painting the designs. It's a bit tricky to stretch the material tight so it doesn't shift with each brush stroke, but if you can get that sorted it comes out nicely. (I have a vested interest in saying such a project belongs in Costumes, but either forum would be good. ;) :) ) I'm tempted to try the gray T with the red lion idea...
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 27, 2016 9:15 pm

ValiantArcher wrote:Oooh, that sounds like fun! It would probably depend on how good you are at drawing silhouettes. ;)) I've been drawing a blank---which book is the dryad illustration in? :ymblushing:

It's the illustration of the beech dryad in The Last Battle—the one that comes to tell Tirian about the felling of the dryads before disappearing herself. I'd probably try to "layer" multiple stencils so that you'd have different intensities of bleaching for her hair, skin, and dress, but I have a feeling that it would still end up looking like a speckled blob if I'm not extremely careful. ;)) If it turns out nicely, I'll definitely post a picture on it in one of those subforums!

Meltintalle wrote:I'd also like to see Puddleglum's speech in SC as a marshwiggle text silhouette... B-)

Ohhh! I would love that. Artsy people of Etsy, are you listening? I need this shirt in my life. ;))

I hadn't thought about doing freehand painting to create custom Narnia tees. I did that once in an art class several years ago... it would be fun to give it a try again. Must get to Michaels sometime soon to look at supplies, even if it means that I lose several hours of my day to browsing the place. :P
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 28, 2016 5:30 pm

Ooooooh, I like your Marshwiggle idea, Mel! :D Actually there could probably be a whole series of text silhouette shirts. ;))

Thanks, Rose! :) I believe I have now located the illustration, and agree it'd make a very cool shirt. :D
Do you have any particular ideas for freehand shirts?

I'm not quite sure how the layout would work, but what about an image or silhouette of the broken Stone Table (and Aslan?) and one of the quotes about the Deeper Magic on it? Some of that might have to go on the back... OOOH, what about a quote about the Deep Magic or a line of the Witch's and a silhouette of Aslan's sacrifice on the Table on the front and then on the back the broken Table and the quote about the Deeper Magic? The shirt might be way too busy then, though... :P ;))
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 29, 2016 3:28 pm

Ooh, I really like that Stone Table idea, Valia! It might have a lot going on for a t-shirt, but I love the concept. *would totally wear it* :D

For painted shirts, I was thinking maybe the "Courage, dear heart" quote with the silhouette of a bird on the wing, or possibly even copying one of Pauline Baynes' maps of Narnia. A few of them fit nicely on a single book page, so I think you could fit the image on the front of a t-shirt, too.

I wonder how it would turn out if you took one of those bleach pens and a dark-colored shirt and just peppered it with Narnia quotes to your heart's content... I've seen other people use bleach pens to customize tees and the results can be pretty nice.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 29, 2016 7:54 pm

Thanks, Rose. :)

I was thinking "Courage, dear heart" would be an easy and popular one (this is for an album, I believe, but have you seen this shirt?). ;)) I like the idea of Narnian maps too! :D

I hadn't thought of using a bleach pen. Huh. You know, that could be simple and fun (though I would not be a good candidate for it ;)) ). :)
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Narnian88 » Dec 12, 2016 5:40 pm

I would absolutely wear a Narnia shirt!
In fact, this thread has prompted me to check eBay for any. I've seen a few I'd like to have, and will be watching. :)

My preferred designs would be the rampant Lion (with or without shield), Aslan, maybe something with crossed swords and just the word "Narnia" or "The Chronicles of Narnia."

The map? Not so much. One would have to be a fan to recognize it on someone else, whereas other designs like the ones I mentioned above would be recognizable to anyone.
Unless that was someones intent, then yes, the map would be very cool. And definitely some short lines from the books/movies.

"I call ALL time.....soon."
"I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." - VDT
Narnian88
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Dec 15, 2016 12:04 am

I would definitely wear a "I call all times soon" t-shirt, Narnian88!

You guys know those old Uncle Sam posters? They gave me an idea, and then I found this clip art of a ridiculously muscled anthropomorphic lion, and then... well, here's the result. =))

While that's not exactly what my mental image of Aslan is like, you get the general idea. :P :))
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Narnian88 » Dec 22, 2016 6:13 pm

Hahaha, that's awesome, Roes-Tree Dryad! And it might not be as far off as you think.

I know I saw a drawing (I thought from an original source), from the LWW, where Aslan and the White Witch are discussing Edmund. Aslan is walking with the WW on his hind legs like a man, and his hands are crossed behind his back, as though in deep thought. But I can't remember where I saw it.

Anyway, this always made me wonder ever so slightly about Aslan's physical appearance. I could really see where your image might be used on a kids shirt. And IMHO Aslan would definitely have somewhat of a build, even though his power comes from another source....
"I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." - VDT
Narnian88
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby mm1991 » Dec 24, 2016 10:17 pm

I would love a shirt that had this snippet from LB:

"I have come home at last! This is my real country!
I belong here. This is the land I have been looking for all my life,
though I never knew it till now...
Come further up, come further in!"
"Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is youer than you!"
- Dr. Seuss

mm1991
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Bree » Dec 25, 2016 7:32 am

I love this quote from Prince Caspian - the movie
'You have a chance to be the most noble contradiction in history - the Telmarine who saved Narnia' :)
Bree
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby ValiantArcher » Dec 29, 2016 6:52 pm

I like the idea for a "I call all times soon" shirt, Narnian88! :) And I think I've seen that picture you mentioned of Aslan walking, but I can't remember where either.

OH MY, Rose! ;)) That lion is ridiculous, but it would make a distinctive shirt...

mm1991, that would be a great quote for a shirt. :)

Bree, welcome! :) That quote would be good on a shirt.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Next