This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Ideas for Narnia T-Shirts

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Ideas for Narnia T-Shirts

Postby Meltintalle » Dec 30, 2016 10:15 am

Isn't the Aslan walking a Pauline Baynes illustration? I feel like I've seen it before as well...

(So, has anyone looked further at the DIY shirt ideas? ;;) )
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Narnian88 » Jan 04, 2017 9:51 pm

I found it!
Was searching through my books and I located the picture in question in Harper Collins Full-Color Gift Edition Box Set (1998), page 83. The book says illustrated by Pauline Baynes, but I couldn't find it in the other LWW books I have.
Sorry if this is off topic.

Cover:

Picture in question:
"I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." - VDT
Narnian88
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Jan 06, 2017 10:11 pm

We can't of course just use anything straight from Baynes' work, as it's also covered by copyright!
I personally wouldn't like a teeshirt with Aslan on two legs. This is the only place he is seen standing human style, and I believe Lewis must have decided after LWW that Aslan would only be shown Lion-like in the future.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Narnian88 » Jan 07, 2017 10:03 pm

coracle wrote:We can't of course just use anything straight from Baynes' work, as it's also covered by copyright!
I personally wouldn't like a teeshirt with Aslan on two legs. This is the only place he is seen standing human style, and I believe Lewis must have decided after LWW that Aslan would only be shown Lion-like in the future.

You bring up a good point with copyrights. ANY names/places from the books or movies (including titles) would be off-limits for unauthorized shirts.
As for lines from the books or movies? Not sure, but probably need permission to use them.
Maybe the hope of this thread was to generate interest in official shirts. (?)

And I agree about Aslan; the more lion-like, the better. In fact, in "The Horse and his Boy", he went to great lengths to emphasize that he is an animal. I was just pointing out that The Rose-Tree Dryad's image wasn't entirely impossible.
"I am," said Aslan. "But there I have another name. You must learn to know me by that name. This was the very reason why you were brought to Narnia, that by knowing me here for a little, you may know me better there." - VDT
Narnian88
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby coracle » Jan 08, 2017 1:15 am

Thanks for that. I would very much like to get a new NarniaWeb teeshirt or hoodie! :)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 10, 2017 6:18 pm

I haven't tested anything out yet, Mel, although I've been considering a light blue shirt that I have that seems like it might be suitable for some sort of "Lily Lake or Silver Sea" theme. Shall have to see what I can think of for that. :-?

Thanks for posting that illustration, Narnian88! Maybe the mock-up graphic that I posted wasn't so off the mark after all. ;)) I'm kind of tempted to make the idea into a t-shirt, although I'll probably try to find a picture of a lion that doesn't look like a gym coach from Zootopia. :))

I saw a tweet on Twitter the other day that seemed like a good idea for a shirt to me:

Love
Think
Speak
Awake
#Narnia

That would be a cool, simple design for a shirt.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Bree » Jan 11, 2017 3:13 am

I'm currently awaiting delivery of a new running t shirt that I've had printed, the front reads in large lettering 'If I run hard enough will I get to Narnia?' and on the back in smaller writing is 'Narnia - one day I'll get there' :D
Bree
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jan 11, 2017 4:56 pm

That's a great shirt idea, Bree! I hope you like the finished product. :D
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby PhelanVelvel » Jun 19, 2017 8:07 am

I think it would be neat to do seven shirts, each with a simple quote and attractive graphic. As an example, I would definitely wear something with a unicorn that simply says "Further up and further in". As for what kind of unicorn, that's up to the individual... I would wear cutesy, anime-looking, classic heraldry themed, etc. I just love unicorns in general, lol. The Last Battle isn't even my favourite book, but I would wear that design. Another example (for VDT) would be a side-view, two-dimensional view of the Dawn Treader as one might see in a sketch or blueprint, a little mouse with a red plume holding a spyglass standing on the prow. Could do the whole Reepicheep poem or just part of it, e.g. "Where sky and water meet" or "The utter east". For The Horse and His Boy, you could have a silhouette sort of thing with Shasta/Bree and Aravis/Hwin racing, like one horse in front of the other, and the quote "Narnia and the North". I would love to see any of those made, or even try and make them myself (if I had the time). I can see them in my head and they look awesome, lol.

I mean, Meg Sutherland's shirt (which Douglas Gresham wore) had an albatross and "Courage, dear heart", so it's pretty obviously Narnia. If that was okay, I don't think an original illustration modeled after Narnia along with a Narnian quote would be afoul.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous