This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Maps of Narnia

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Maps of Narnia

Postby odgalvin » Jul 28, 2012 10:35 am

Hello,
I'm looking for a large-ish map of Narnia to buy and hang up at home, preferably on canvas. From a quick google it seems this is the most well known one, but where is it from? Ideally I'd want one as detailed as possible while covering a large area, the surrounding lands of Narnia too. Preferably I'd like an older, official one from the books, not a film based one or fan made. I've seen some on book covers, like the back of the abridged Narnia Chronicles book. Did C.S. Lewis himself make one?

So my main question is this: what maps are there, by whom, and can anyone recommend a nice one?

Thanks!
odgalvin
NarniaWeb Newbie

Re: Maps of Narnia

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 28, 2012 7:41 pm

The map you linked to is a movie map by Daniel Reeve.

Looking through my personal image collection, I see five distinct maps. One of those is fan made. One is by Daniel Reeve. There is this one, which appears on books and I believe was done by Pauline Baynes as well as another (second on the page) which is also attributed to Baynes. The final one is this one and I know nothing further about it and I can't quite read the info in the corner.

I'm going to quietly slink away now and admit that I know nothing about reproductions you can buy. :ymblushing: But I wish you the best of luck in your search, because that would be a lovely addition to any collection. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby johobbit » Jul 30, 2012 2:03 pm

Hi odgalvin, and welcome to the forum! I'm also wishing you good success in your map search.

Mel, I think the writing in that bottom-left corner of the last one you linked to says
"David C. Cook Publishing Co. 1978
Printed in U.S.A.
A2547 28(3?)925"??? (I can hardly read those :P)

In a brief google, it appears to have been made by a lady named Sylvia Smith, and issues from the Estate are associated with its publication, but in any case, it is now out of print.
johobbit

Postby Lion's Emblem » Jul 30, 2012 8:40 pm

This is the only one I know of in existence that is available for purchase.

http://www.narniaweb.com/wp-content/upl ... 8/1878.jpg

Ubfortunately, it is the film version of the map (I know you were hoping to avoid that), but it is a very nice quality all the same and comes in a nice wood frame with sturdy glass.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Anfinwen » Jul 31, 2012 7:43 am

I got a 60th anniversary edition of all the chronicles in one volume. It came with a separate map, the one by Pauline Baynes. It's still rather small, though, around 10x14 in., and it comes folded up. It is definitely framing quality.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnialuver » Jul 31, 2012 9:39 am

This is a nice old narnia map that I like:

http://allaboutcslewis.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/narnia-map.jpg

One way to get one Is just printing it on nice paper. That's what I did. That way you can get what ever size you want and then buy a frame for it.

The Hobbit in theaters: 14 December 2012
narnialuver
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby odgalvin » Aug 18, 2012 5:43 pm

Thank you all for your replies!

Lion's Emblem wrote:This is the only one I know of in existence that is available for purchase.

http://www.narniaweb.com/wp-content/upl ... 8/1878.jpg

Ubfortunately, it is the film version of the map (I know you were hoping to avoid that), but it is a very nice quality all the same and comes in a nice wood frame with sturdy glass.

Where does one buy this map then? I do actually like that one, I only said I wanted to avoid that so as to have one as original as possible.
odgalvin
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Lion's Emblem » Aug 25, 2012 9:02 pm

Well, I was fortunate a few months back to find one on clearance at a local bookstore. Anymore though, I've only been able to see them online at places such as Amazon.com.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby queenviolet » Jan 03, 2013 8:41 pm

i actully drew one myself and i lost it....i think my dog ate my narnia map!!!! i was really upset i worked 3 weeks on it!!!!!!! X( X( X( X( X( X( i wanted to try again but i could never find a paper as big as it :( :( :( :( :( i am looking for one online now to hang up i my room
queenviolet
NarniaWeb Regular