This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Another new (leatherbound) Edition of the CON

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Another new (leatherbound) Edition of the CON

Postby Reepi » Sep 20, 2009 9:32 am

As some of you may already know, there are probably tons and tons editions of the CoN, and there always seem to be some new ones on their way ;)

As I was browsing today, I just found a new one by Barnes and Noble.

But pictures always tell more than words, let's start with those:

This new super-deluxe Edition of the Chronicles of Narnia by Barnes and Nobles in their Leatherbound classics series present the Chronicles, once again in the wrong order, in a new Binding and cover.
Featuring a blue exterior and gilded edges, with a raised spine and bound in parts of dead animals (because that is what leather is) with pictures of LWW (which are extended), giving an impression of warm, fuzzy winter and christmas.
With a page count of 800 and excerpts of "Beyond the Wardrobe: the official (and probably useless) Guide to Narnia" this Edition got the same texts as the Signature Edition, sans the full-colour map the signature edition had and instead printing the full-colour map by Pauline Baynes in black and white and cutting it off at the top, the right and the bottom too.

My Conclusion: With having new, gilded, luxurious binding with parts of dead animals, gilded edges and extended artwork at the back, still not having reverted back to the proper texts and order and printing a once beautiful full color map in black and white and cutting it off on three sides, you be the judge.

~ReepI
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: Another new (leatherbound) Edition of the CON

Postby Laura E. A. » Sep 20, 2009 2:40 pm

Well, I'm not sure if you are against using 'parts of dead animals' or not. You weren't very clear on that.
BUT
It looks very nice, yet I wish that for once they'd have them in the right order, with full color pictures, WITHOUT taking any of the pictures out (as they did in my hardcover CoN: took one of my favorite pics of Rillian out of SC), and WITHOUT cutting or turning color to black and white. It doesn't make sense to me when they do that. I remember when I was younger, we got the CoN boxed set, and we were all shocked to find that it was numbered starting from MN. We were all pretty annoyed at first. ;)
God's hardness is kinder than the softness of man, and his compulsion is our liberation--- C.S.Lewis
Laura E. A.
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Reepi » Sep 20, 2009 9:29 pm

Thank you, my thoughts exactly! It's so funny that my favourite picture of SC (Rilian in the clutches of the serpent) is at the sides of the map at the beginning, but not in the text where it should be. It really is ridiculous.

Yes, this new edition looks great from the outside, gilded edges and everything, but why did they use pictures from only LWW for the cover (implying that it is representing the whole CON), when they still won't acknowledge that it is really the first book in the series. This logical inconsistency strikes me as really odd.
[/rant]
Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 21, 2009 4:11 pm

Cool. That has the nicest cover. I saw this LWW book for $4:00 the other day.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Lady4Aslan » Oct 03, 2009 2:09 pm

I just bought this excact book yesterday! It is now prodly displayed on my self. I love the colors and the craftmenship.
I great thing to pass on to the next generation of narnian fans!
"Aslan is the Jesus of Narnia."
Lady4Aslan
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby eves_daughter » Oct 10, 2009 9:18 am

I love the binding and the pictures on the cover! But it would have been better if they had included something from all of the books.
eves_daughter
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Narnia Girl » Oct 11, 2009 5:54 am

That's a simply gorgeous cover! I would LOVE to have that copy of the book. The pictures are so beautiful.
Founder of the Dragon Fan Club - PM me to join!
Team Hoodie!
I've met Michael English!
Avie and sig by theprincessspy.
Narnia Girl
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Dana P. » Oct 12, 2009 1:52 pm

To those of you who purchased this, was this in the States? I called my local B&N in Massachusetts, and they were out. They had been in stock for $20.00 or so. $4.00 is an incredibly good deal, and I'd love to five a few of these for Christmas gifts.

So, where are you guys/gals located? And did anyone else get them for only $4.00?

Thanks.
Dana P.
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Oct 18, 2009 4:51 pm

I have known about this edition for some 2 months now, but have been forbidden to buy it. Apparently, I am a horribly difficult person for which to buy Christmas presents. My sister (who works at B&N) has all but told me that this is what she intends to get me.

I suppose we must comply with others every now and again ;)
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby FirstNarnianQueen » Oct 27, 2009 1:42 pm

That's gorgeous! If only I didn't already have two complete copies. :| I am holding out to buy my third set once they get the order right. :p

Tiffany
FirstNarnianQueen
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Dana P. » Nov 01, 2009 11:30 am

Reepi wrote:
My Conclusion: With having new, gilded, luxurious binding with parts of dead animals...

~ReepI

Picked one up a few days ago. It's easily the most aesthetically pleasing volume of the CoN that I've seen. And since the dead animals weren't talking animals, I had no problem with the binding. ;)
Dana P.
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Nov 02, 2009 1:06 pm

That is so beautiful!! I know what I'm asking for for Chistmas ;)
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lucy P. » Nov 09, 2009 6:44 pm

I've found B&N's leather-bound series to be disappointing in general. For example, the Sherlock Holmes edition is full of typos.
However I think I may get this just for the gorgeous cover (as the Sherlock Holmes leather-bound book is worth it just for the aesthetic appeal)
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby [wrath] » Jan 18, 2010 7:31 pm

I realy want to get it! :p
And dead animals? Did anyone stop to think that maybe the leather is synthetic?
Day of Wrath, that day of burning,
Seer and Sibyl speak concerning,
All the world to ashes turning.
[wrath]
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby IloveFauns » Jan 30, 2010 3:27 am

The book is so pretty, i would loev to have that and wouldn't mind paying 60 dollars for it.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Feb 12, 2010 4:21 pm

that is gorgeous! I really want it :D
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic