This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

need a historian of narnia book publishings

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

need a historian of narnia book publishings

Postby spider4 » May 11, 2011 3:11 pm

hi.i am new to your forum.i must admit it is a puzzling question that brings me here.i was first intruduced to narnia over 30 years ago.my aunt gave me all 7 hardcover books,and i have read them repeatedly.i have also enjoyed the movie versions,although i tend to like the books better.now the question i have regards the actual books.ive done some research and found that first publish was done in london england,that those actual books if you have those copies are very valuable.well i dont have those,but i do have what appears to be the first united states published books(the copyright on the lion,witch,wardrobe dates 1950).im curious though because the books are very simple.ive talked to supposed book experts and they have said that copyright doesnt necessary mean anything,that you look toward the back of the book and see what the different printing dates might be....well mine doesnt have any printing dates.the front few pages are blank,then page with copyright 1950,and at bottom printed in the united states of america.next page is a letter from c.s.lewis to his goddaughter,and then the next page has the title,illustrations(original illustrator).the books all have different colored hardcovers.the last battle is blue.im wondering if these are the first united states printed versions,just without dust covers?like ive said ive had these for over 30 years myself.i would love some info,and i do have photos of the books.thanks.
spider4
NarniaWeb Newbie

Re: need a historian of narnia book publishings

Postby Griffle » May 12, 2011 4:42 am

Have a look at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1829
THIS HOPELESSLY OUT OF DATE SIGNATURE IS SPONSORED BY LAZINESS TM
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Re: need a historian of narnia book publishings

Postby Reepi » May 14, 2011 3:58 am

How do your books look like from the outside? Dustjackets?
Photos would be helpful of course.

I managed to make 2 incredibly bad snapshots of the pages of the relevant data from my own Voyage of the Dawn Treader supposed first US Edition/ first Printing for you to compare:

Reepi
NarniaWeb Guru