This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

BBC VFX Book

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

BBC VFX Book

Postby icarus » Jan 10, 2011 1:45 pm

Limited as we are for Narnia Merchandise at this time, i thought the following book was worth mentioning. The book is called "BBC VFX: The Story of the BBC Visual Effects Department" and amongst a vast amount of other things, it also features the BBC's Chronicles of Narnia TV Series.

I saw a review for it in the February issue of SFX Magazine, and whilst the review did not go into any particular detail on the specifics of the Narnia based content, it did contain the following behind-the-scenes picture of the BBC's Sea Serpent and Dawn Treader which i thought was kind of cool:

BBC_Sea_Serpent.jpg

You can find the full details for the book on Amazon.co.uk at the link below. The Amazon page has a "Look Inside" feature for the book, which contains a look at table of contents, revealing the Chronicles of Narnia seemingly covers 4 pages, from p180 to p183. Given that the book looks fairly big, that's sure to be a fair amount of content on those pages, though having not seen it in the flesh, its hard to say for certain. If anyone does see it in the shops, or ends up buying it, do come back to let us know whether it was worth it :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/BBC-VFX-Visual- ... 594&sr=8-1

icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Re: BBC VFX Book

Postby wisewoman » Jan 10, 2011 1:48 pm

Great find, icarus! :) That's really interesting.
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus
The Moddess of Sentence Surgery

Postby Griffle » Jan 13, 2011 6:37 am

Yeah, really interesting! I love the BBC films, I just have to get this!
THIS HOPELESSLY OUT OF DATE SIGNATURE IS SPONSORED BY LAZINESS TM
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wisewoman » Jan 13, 2011 6:39 am

If anything, perhaps it will help people to appreciate the quality of the special effects in the BBC Narnia series. Considering the budget and the technology of the time, they weren't bad at all!
"It is God who gives happiness; for he is the true wealth of men's souls." — Augustine
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus

Postby icarus » Jan 13, 2011 1:28 pm

If anyone is interested in seeing some other behind the scenes photos from the BBC productions, Alan Spalding (Production designer on the BBC series) has some absolutely wonderful shots of the sets from all 4 series on his website. Sometimes people don't give them enough credit for things like that, but some of the details in the sets really do give the recent productions a run for their money:

http://spaldingdesign.com/chroniclesofnarnia.aspx
icarus
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Griffle » Jan 13, 2011 6:42 pm

Oh wow, thanks for the link icarus! The sets from the BBC films are extremely detailed. The miniature castle used in LWW has always looked fake to me though, even as a child.
THIS HOPELESSLY OUT OF DATE SIGNATURE IS SPONSORED BY LAZINESS TM
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby wisewoman » Jan 14, 2011 6:30 am

Yes, those pictures are amazing. I am saving that link for when people complain about the BBC Narnia ;))
wisewoman
Moderator Emeritus