This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Dawn Treader Model Ship

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Dawn Treader Model Ship

Postby StBrianofMinneapolis » Dec 16, 2010 8:10 pm

There is an ok looking model of the Dawn Treader at the site below. It's not all that accurate, but definitely a step up from the tiny French porcelain and Australian kids meal Dawn Treaders.

http://www.handcraftedmodelships.com/mo ... wn&x=0&y=0
StBrianofMinneapolis
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Dawn Treader Model Ship

Postby Griffle » Dec 17, 2010 2:22 am

I added this to the LoM last night. This is really exciting! I'll definitely get one of those when I have the money.

It's the perfect size btw, Imagine having one of these on your desk. :)

Brian, I know you're very talented when it comes to detailed painting. I'm sure you'd be able to do much better than that. :)
THIS HOPELESSLY OUT OF DATE SIGNATURE IS SPONSORED BY LAZINESS TM
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby IloveFauns » Dec 24, 2010 2:10 am

I would love to have one of them but i don't think i will spend 90 dollars on it.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Griffle » Dec 27, 2010 11:05 am

I ordered one of these yesterday, I'll post some photos of it here once I get it. :D
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fett42 » Jan 11, 2011 10:25 am

I would definitely be interested to see your personal photos of the model ship. As soon as I saw the Dawn Treader appear on screen in the movie, I said "I have to own a model of this boat!" I love dragons and the boat is simply awesome. I wanted to buy the $90 model, but held off because of some missing details.
fett42
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby coracle » Jan 11, 2011 11:31 am

“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Griffle » Jan 13, 2011 6:23 am

fett42 wrote:I would definitely be interested to see your personal photos of the model ship. As soon as I saw the Dawn Treader appear on screen in the movie, I said "I have to own a model of this boat!" I love dragons and the boat is simply awesome. I wanted to buy the $90 model, but held off because of some missing details.

Yeah, there are some details missing, that's true, but it still looks pretty good. I mean, the paintwork is a bit sloppy here and there, but the overall impression you get from it is that it's really detailed. This is probably due to the scale of it. Anyway, this is the only model of the ship we have atm.

Here are some photos of it:

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

I've added a more shiny layer of gold paint to the gold coloured details on my ship. The first two photos illustrate the difference between the original gold paint (first photo) and the new layer (second photo).
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fett42 » Jan 14, 2011 11:58 am

The ship does look pretty good. If it had the gold chest plate on the front and the Narnia symbol on the sail, it'd be a definite buy from me. I still might buy it, but I'm undecided as of yet.

Thank you for sharing your photos of the Dawn Treader. It sounds like you are fairly satisfied with the purchase, which is a great thing.
fett42
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Griffle » Jan 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Maybe we could contact Handcraftedmodelships.com and ask if they could fix these things for us?

(I sent them an email a couple of weeks ago asking about the making of the model and I still haven't received a reply from them, but I could ask again. ;) )
Griffle
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Cymru » Feb 28, 2011 7:35 pm

I'm so thankful to have a Dawn Treader ship at all, that I'll be throwing my money down on this as soon as I have the chance. I have passed over several Narnia items the last few years, holding out for a Dawn Treader for the mantle - then, almost nothing came out for this film! I was so disappointed. They made more for the Caspian film than anything else, and it's not nearly as iconic!

Thank you to whoever decided to release this ship!!!
That is part of the beauty of all literature. You discover that your longings are universal longings, that you're not lonely and isolated from anyone. You belong. ~ F.Scott Fitzgerald
Cymru
Moderator Emeritus