This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

VDT Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Stuff to fill your Wardrobe!

Moderator: Meltintalle

VDT Soundtrack.... Is it available anywhere except......

Postby Making_Sense » Dec 07, 2010 11:36 pm

Is there any retailer where I can pick up a copy of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader soundtrack? Every place I know that sells music says its only available online. Best buy doesn't carry it except only online. Walmart doesn't even have it listed at all. Target, again, no dice. Is the one and only way to get this soundtrack is by ordering it online, and nothing else? Strange.
Making_Sense
NarniaWeb Newbie

Re: VDT Original Motion Picture Soundtrack

Postby Quinlin » Dec 08, 2010 6:50 pm

It appears that many people are having trouble finding and obtaining a copy of the VDT Film Soundtrack. :-\ Strange, because I found my copy of the CD at Borders yesterday, right when it was released. There were plenty of them on the shelf and they even had a special for it already. It was on sale for $12.99 @ Borders and I happened to have a coupon on me that resulted in a grand total of a whopping $10.00!! :D It's baffling that stores do not have it for sale because if it is mostly found online, I find that it may impact the overall sales, since people are more likely to buy an item when they see it at a store.

So, I would suggest you try to go to a chain bookstore: Borders or Barnes & Noble should probably have it! That's your best bet.

Good luck and I hope you can find a copy! :)

Oh, and I haven't yet opened my copy...I find it more magical to listen to the music after seeing the film. It makes the experience greater for me and I love to later listen and connect the music to the scenes in which it played.
I've Been to Narnia!
'I can still hear the hoofbeats in my heart'
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub

Postby ForeverFan » Dec 11, 2010 2:40 pm

I purchased my CD from CD Plus, which is a Canadian music and movie store. (Y'all in the U.S. might have it as well, I'm not sure, though) I was able to buy it in store for maybe two dollars or so more than from Amazon. Just something to keep in mind in case anyone in Canada is looking for it. :)
[center]Dear days of old, with the faces in the firelight,
Kind folks of old, you come again no more.
(Robert Louis Stevenson)
ForeverFan
NarniaWeb Zealot
Keeper of Thursdays (BC), Retired

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 12, 2010 10:07 pm

How are the liner notes for the CD? I'm not sure I want to buy it as only a few of the tracks sound good to me. But I'm really wondering about the artwork inside....can anyone who has it describe it? Thanks in advance!

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby CorazonBandido55 » Dec 13, 2010 12:07 pm

Anyone know where I can buy the mp3 download for this soundtrack, as I'd rather have a digital copy of the music and not a physical CD. Its not on iTunes, or Best Buy, or Walmart online.. unless I'm just missing it.
your fellow Telmarine
CorazonBandido55
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Quinlin » Dec 13, 2010 8:21 pm

Hello stateofgreen,

stateofgreen wrote:How are the liner notes for the CD? I'm not sure I want to buy it as only a few of the tracks sound good to me. But I'm really wondering about the artwork inside....can anyone who has it describe it? Thanks in advance!

In answer to your question regarding the liner notes inside the front cover of the CD, I was much anticipating to see them myself upon purchasing my copy of the score, as it always contains some lovely images from the film that I find enjoyable to look at. I was very happy with the cover of Aslan with the snow drifting around him, though I'm still not sure why the snow is so prominent of a feature in the marketing for this film? Maybe, since the film comes out at Christmas?

Anyways, I opened up the CD to find the same cover image of Aslan imprinted on the CD, and when you remove the CD, there is also a picture of Aslan, standing on the white sand and roaring! I really liked that! Now as for the liner: the first two pages when you open it up contain a list of all the track names and their lengths. There is a simple picture of the first of the lone islands in the distance as a backdrop. The third page contains a large full page image of the Dawn Treader. The photo would have been lovely, but it's too much of a close up of the ship and half of it is cut off... :-s. The fourth page (opposite the Dawn Treader) contains another full page image of Caspian, Lucy, and Edmund looking over the slave trade names book within the bell tower. The fifth page has an up close image of Lucy's profile face from the scene where she reads the Book of Incantations. Over part of the image, are credits for those involved with the soundtrack. And on the last page(opposite the one of Lucy), is a simple shot of the Dawn Treader floating through the valley towards Ramandu's Island (it also contains a few more credits and notes along the bottom). The back cover of the insert has an up close picture of Reepicheep, very adorable, and from the scene when he first greets the Pevensie's on the ship.

So those are the contents and photos for the entire liner. I found myself quite disappointed with how it was compiled, because in comparison to the score soundtracks for LWW & PC, it barely contains any pictures at all. To me it appears as it has with some of the other marketing involved with this film i.e. the posters, that this pamphlet was put together in a rather rushed and seemingly careless manner. Although the images included are wonderful, there are really only four that represent the film. Even then as I mentioned, they are very large and by taking up the entire page, leave no room for others to have been placed on each page as well. I would have expected several shots per page, with a variety of shots from the film. What is most shocking to me however, is that Eustace, both as the dragon or as the boy are not shown at all! :-o Shame that it was put together so.

In the end, I can say that am not very thrilled with the outcome of the liner. I expected far more content within and perhaps a few quotes from the film...Ah, well, what can be done. The score is beautiful though, and I particularly love the two pictures of Aslan inside. As for those who do not want to purchase the CD for the score pieces themselves, I must say, that all the images within are all the promo ones that we have seen before. So here concludes my most lengthy review of the VDT score liner....I think I have covered just about everything there is! ;) :p

~Quin
I've Been to Narnia!
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub

Postby stateofgreen » Dec 14, 2010 1:28 am

Thanks Quinlin! Your complete and wonderfully thorough review is truly appreciated. :) Sad that it doesn't match up to the liner for LWW. And also sad there's no pics of Eustace!? Or Eustace-Dragon?! :-o
BTW there aren't any comments by the composer?

Nice at least they have one pic of Reepicheep. I think he quite deserves a whole page devoted to his cuteness. :)

Signature by Ithilwen/Avatar by Djaq

Member of the Will Poulter is Eustace club

stateofgreen
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Quinlin » Dec 14, 2010 11:19 am

stateofgreen wrote:BTW there aren't any comments by the composer?

Nope, unfortunately not even any comments from the composer. No writing at all except for the credits and notation for all who worked on the score. It's such a short little liner too.

~goes back to peruse through the LWW & PC soundtrack liners to imagine how the VTD soundtrack could have been better compiled~
I've Been to Narnia!
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub

Postby Lion's Emblem » Dec 20, 2010 9:50 pm

CorazonBandido55 wrote:Anyone know where I can buy the mp3 download for this soundtrack, as I'd rather have a digital copy of the music and not a physical CD. Its not on iTunes, or Best Buy, or Walmart online.. unless I'm just missing it.

It looks like the VDT soundtrack is now available to download on itunes CorazonBandido55 (as of 12/16). I'm not really sure why it took over a week from the original CD release to be on itunes, but I am cetainly glad of it. Like you, I prefer to have a digital copy of the VDT soundtrack.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Dec 25, 2010 1:00 pm

I finally got the CD two days ago and it's awesome! I just love it! so so so epic! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby coracle » Feb 11, 2011 1:07 am

I finally got mine this week by ordering online. Have only listened once, but now it's the weekend so can listen to it several more times!
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Previous