This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Costumes in TSC: Narnians, Giants, and Underlanders

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Costumes in TSC: Narnians, Giants, and Underlanders

Postby aileth » Aug 08, 2014 8:11 am

ValiantArcher wrote:Emm, does anyone remember what the willows look like during the autumn/winter? Do they look at all different depending on the season? (I can't remember if they lose leaves or branches at all... :ymblushing: ) It might be neat to play around with her having lighter fabric and brighter colours when it's autumn, and then heavier and darker when Jill returns to Cair Paravel at the end. And maybe a bark-like cloak? I'm not sure, just throwing ideas around. ;))

Yes, willows do mainly lose their leaves in the winter, but the ones we have around here have these brilliant yellow branches that really stand out once the leaves are gone. On the bigger trees the trunks are gnarly and grey, giving a real contrast to the smooth, vivid branches.

They did attempt corporeal dryads in LWW, but as the coronation dance scene got axed, there's not much to see (there's a bit near the end of the bloopers). I couldn't say that I liked their interpretation, particularly--to me it looks more like they're draped in seaweed, but they tried...
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Anfinwen » Sep 05, 2015 11:03 am

Talking about the Humans in SC, I'm really hoping to see the evolution of Narnian fashion. between the Golden Age and Rillian's rescue there is about 1300 years. One must also think of the Telmarine influence in dress.
I feel like the grown up Pevinsie costumes in the movie were similar to the late 1400's, so SC human's could have an early 1600's influence. I don't really fancy that style in Narnia, but a touch here and there - such as a lace collar and cuffs, lovelocks and mustaches, more brocade and velvet - would be fine.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 08, 2015 5:14 pm

Huh. I must confess I'd never thought of an early 1600's influence, Anfiwen. ;)) Puffed/fuller sleeves and rounder skirts? A more prominent/decorated bodice could be interesting, but I'm having trouble picturing how this could work and still look "Narnian". That said, it takes place over the fall/winter so heavier fabrics (velvet/brocade) and warmer styles would make sense, so those elements might not be too hard to work in. Are you thinking more early early 1600's or early mid-1600's? And are you thinking ruffs, doublets, and hose or breeches for the men?
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Anfinwen » Sep 09, 2015 1:27 pm

ValiantArcher wrote:And are you thinking ruffs, doublets, and hose or breeches for the men?

Yes. It really would be quite like the illustrations of Rillian.

I imagined a little earlier and less opulent. The 1600's could feel a little un-Narnian. I was mainly pointing out how much they could have changed.
I think the late 1500's would work. Here is a painting with various types of costumes from that era. (I don't really like the hats)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1550–1600_in_Western_European_fashion#/media/File:Selskab_i_det_frie._Allegori_på_den_ægteskabelige_kærlighed.jpg
(You might have to copy paste the link)
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Lu_valient » Sep 17, 2015 8:46 am

I'm thinking of the gnomes as similar to the fair folk in the Chronicles of Prydain. A variety of types and shapes and personalities.
"The Fair Folk were known by many names and came in a variety of forms: some were dwarfs, like Doli -- squat and stocky with stubby legs -- but others were taller and slender, such as Gwystyl; still others seemed at least part bestial, with delicate wings or fish scales." (from the Prydain Wikia)
They were deeply connected to the earth as well.

For the Narnians, it would be interesting to see a different vibrancy of color; bright in contrast to the upcoming winter. And if the giants were wearing similar vibrant colors, Jill and Eustace would think of them in a better light. (It's all about mental associations)
made by katherine
Lu_valient
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ValiantArcher » Aug 21, 2016 8:10 pm

Sorry, it's been a while since I've been here. :ymblushing:

Anfinwen, I'm still not sold on the huge ruffs ;)) but I do like the idea of slightly less opulent clothing and there being a large shift in fashion. It would be (will be? :D) interesting to see how the fashion changes from VoDT to SC, especially the Queen's influence (as a Star's Daughter, she had a much simpler style).

Lu_valient, I do like your idea of bright colours on both the Narnians and the Giants. Just think about how inviting those bright colors and warm food and fires would be to the weary travelers... Perhaps the Giants' clothes would be just a touch too bright, just a bit garish.
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Previous