This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Narnian Jewelry

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Narnian Jewelry

Postby Anfinwen » Sep 20, 2012 1:24 pm

Here is a website where I have seen a lot of really neat jewelry. http://www.victoriantradingco.com/
The jewelry supposed to be victorian, but it could be any era. here are some of the most Narnian that I have seen.
ImageImage
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ValiantArcher » Sep 24, 2012 3:46 pm

Em, who's Queen Ramda, Adeona? :ymblushing: But, yes, I think Susan would wear a necklace like that. :)
I'm glad you approve of the Marshwiggle pin ideas. ;)) Upon thinking more on it, I really do think a (an old) Lion's head pin would be very fitting for Puddleglum too. :)

Those are all lovely, The Lady Arwen Undómiel! The first looks very dryad-ish, but I suppose that would be rather redundant. ;)) The second one makes me think a bit more of Lucy, and Susan for the third one. Do you suppose Ramandu's Daughter would've worn something like the last one as queen? :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Adeona » Nov 16, 2012 8:46 pm

Oops - sorry for being vague there. Ramda is a nickname for Ramandu's Daughter. A few fans were using it before VoDT came out. :)

Lady Arwen Undómiel, those are all lovely, and the last two are my favorites. I can definitely see Queen Susan wearing the final necklace, and maybe Lucy for the 3rd. I actually see Ramandu's Daughter in the second one, and the first one... Maybe a lady centaur? It's very unique!
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 01, 2013 4:27 pm

The Sentence in The Magician's Nephew were Jadis says something about pyramids has always gave me the interesting idea that the pyramids were sort of like the Mayan pyramids. Having that in mind when thinking up ideas for Charn, I thought it would be interesting if Charn had a Mayan inspired jewelry sort of look.

(Let me know if the sizes are to big)

Like this:

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 01, 2013 6:34 pm

Do you have a source for the snake armband, 7chronicles? That one really stands out to me as something Jadis or her sister would wear and I'm wondering if that's an extant Mayan piece or if it's just an inspired-by one. ;;)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 01, 2013 10:33 pm

@Meltintalle:

That is my favorite one as well! :)

I did an image search and found it.
I went ahead and found the picture again and found the website it was attached to.
It turns out the bracelet is actually "Greek-Hellenistic period, 3rd-to-2nd century BC" (funny it popped up in the Mayan Jewelry). And it is real!
Here is the link (just a word of warning, there is a sculpted broach with a illustrated bare women in the ocean. Like with most greek statues)

http://www.collectorsweekly.com/article ... ry-museum/

The Value of myth is that it takes all the things you know and restores to them the rich significance which has been hidden by the veil of familiarity. C.S. Lewis
7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby De_De » Jul 02, 2013 3:03 pm

Wow the arm braclet it really cool!

I was recently thinking of Ramandu's daughter and they way they portrayed her in the movie. I didn't really like they way they did it, but never mind. I didn't really like that she didn't have much jewlery, I know that it's not really mentioned in the books that she had any, but I thought it would be kind of cool is she had a tiara like this
http://www.medievalbridalfashions.com/c ... rclet1.JPG

or a chain like this
http://img1.etsystatic.com/011/0/651887 ... 7_2gd6.jpg
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 02, 2013 5:00 pm

That's really interesting that it's actually a Greek piece, 7chronicles. ;))

I like the tiara. It does look like something Ramandu's daughter would wear. If I were going to costume her ill-fated Maying outfit... I might use jewellery like this.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby 7chronicles » Jul 03, 2013 1:59 am

@De_De: The chain tiara would be interesting, and I don't think I've ever seen anything like it in any other movie.

@Meltintalle: I like that! It reminds me of something she would wear.
I almost forgot about that costume :-o .

All this wonderful jewlery makes me wish we could actually see it on screen in the movies. :)

7chronicles
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby De_De » Jul 03, 2013 1:29 pm

7chronicles, I thought about it because they're becoming really popular here in Russia. I mean you see girls walking around the street with those. Very interesting.
You're right Meltintalle, I also forgot adout that costume. I really like tht necklace. It's interesting how her style changes from more stary blueish-white colors to more green forresty colors because of her switch from being the daughter of a star to a Narnian queen. She could have a crown like this
http://img2.etsystatic.com/000/0/517647 ... 184390.jpg
because it has leaves and branches, but it's all in bluish tones. I like it :D
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

Postby Meltintalle » Nov 09, 2013 8:54 am

I was in Claire's the other day and saw two different lion head design necklaces. I'm debating going back and getting a few and trying to turn them into broaches. ;))

Of course, I couldn't find them on their website, but I did find the matching earrings that I didn't see in the store. :p

Set One
Set Two
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Lady Galadriel » Apr 02, 2014 7:05 pm

In regards to general Narnian jewelry, I am actually currently wearing my Lucy's-vial pendant which I got for my birthday a few years ago. It was designed by Walden Media. I also have a shield pendant with the red lion on it.

ValiantArcher wrote: Do you all think any of the Narnian characters would wear broaches? I'm sure there could be some very Narnian ones, but I'm having a hard time picturing anyone actually wearing them. That's probably because I can never figure out how to wear broaches/pins, though. ;))

I actually really like this idea. I just wouldn't want the original idea of the broaches to be associated with the Elvish one that the Fellowship all wear in Middle-Earth. (Let's keep Narnia original. B-) ) Basically, as long as the broaches don't resemble Elvish leaves, I'm good. ;)) I would dearly love to see Drinian, Trumpkin, Caspian, Rilian, etc, wearing lion head broaches as a Narnian tradition. Ramandu's Daughter / Lilliandil could wear one that resembles a star. The Emerald Witch could wear one that resembles a snake. :P (Well, maybe I wouldn't go that far...but I do think something like that would be a neat clue to the audience as to who she is, if they haven't read the book.)
Lady Galadriel
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby You Will Find Me Bigger » Apr 02, 2014 8:18 pm

You've got a point... Tolkien made far more use of jewelry than Lewis did. (One RING to rule them all! etc.) :D

But Lewis did particularly mention that the crowns for the Kings and Queens of Narnia were beautiful and light enough for everyday wear. He thought big, heavy crowns were "ugly."
You can call me Willow if you want to.
You Will Find Me Bigger
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby SummerSnow » Jul 03, 2014 11:18 am

I hadn't really thought about broaches (but that would probably be for similar reasons, Valia), but I can see a few people wearing them, now that Lady Galadriel has mentioned some ideas. It's probably just me, but I have a hard time seeing very many broaches that could be Narnian and fit their type of dress. But as mentioned before, that could just be because I can never get broaches to match my outfits.

I also imagine some Narnians would wear flower crowns:
http://trendybride.net/wp-content/uploa ... eils-7.jpg

I think more of the bands would be made out of actual flowers, like this:
https://img0.etsystatic.com/039/1/80217 ... 8_7aov.jpg

For an actual crown a queen might wear would be some sort of circlet, perhaps something similar to this:
http://www.medievalbridalfashions.com/c ... rclet2.JPG
or
http://www.craftyfox.com/images/Ivy-cir ... w-garn.jpg

There are just so many pretty circlets I could imagine a Narnian Queen (or King, for some of them) wearing, but those looked like they would probably work for everyday wear.
My lovely avatar was made by Valia!
SummerSnow
NarniaWeb Junkie
The WC Submersible Subterfuge Sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Jul 30, 2014 2:46 pm

I've honestly never given very much thought to Narnian jewellery before. It's such a natural world, primarily populated with Talking Animals and wood and water spirits. Just about the only people that might possibly to be interested in wearing jewellery would be humans and the dwarfs, considering that they're metalworkers.

I remember Lewis describing the crowns as being light and beautiful and easy to wear (I think they did a really nice job capturing this with Lucy and Susan's crowns in LWW), but I can't really remember any other jewellery mentioned. It seems like I can recall people wearing garlands on their heads much more easily than I can think of times that Lewis referenced some sort of gold or silver finery.

I do really hope that they stick to Lewis's description for Shasta/Cor's crown in HHB; I've always loved the simplistic look of crowns that are a thin band of gold. It doesn't look pretentious at all and I think it really suits his age and rank as a prince.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Previous