This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Caspian in his pajamas.....lol!!!!!

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Caspian in his pajamas.....lol!!!!!

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 21, 2009 4:23 pm

am i the only one who noticed this?:
in PC, Caspian is wearing his pajamas throughout the whole film until the battle!!!!!
i noticed this because if you notice when Cornelious wakes Caspian up in the begining of the movie, Caspian puts on his cape and mail but stays in the clothes he was sleaping in all the way through the movie until he putsd on armour for the battle at the end!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Re: Caspian in his pajamas.....lol!!!!!

Postby Adeona » Sep 22, 2009 10:21 am

Yes, I've noticed! They're nice PJs. My mom has a nightie like that! :D (With that awesome embroidery around the yoke)
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby Wicked Swann » Sep 22, 2009 10:56 am

I was under the impression that Caspian was expecting Cornelius to wake him up to go up the tower to watch the stars, so he was sleeping in his clothes - also eliminating the need for Cornelius telling him to get dressed, as he does in the book, and perhaps taking away from the urgency of the scene.

I love that outfit, though. I made my own version (there's a photo in Construction & Completion.)
Wicked Swann
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby greenbird37 » Sep 23, 2009 8:09 pm

I did not notice that until you pointed that out!! :D But very interesting! :|
"We have nothing if not belief"
greenbird37
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnialover4 » Sep 26, 2009 1:43 pm

I could never tell if he was wearing pants with a long nightgown, or a nightgown and he put pants on after Cornileus wakes him up.
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby PeterFan » Sep 26, 2009 2:51 pm

Good eye!!! I would've never seen that!!! I thought he put on a shirt on his way up the stairs or something! =)) =)) That's funny 8-} !!!!!!!

PeterFan
PeterFan

Postby LucyTheValiant » Sep 26, 2009 5:33 pm

:D I never noticed that before!
Signature & Avatar made by Princess Anna
LucyTheValiant
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby DruidDream » Sep 27, 2009 12:29 pm

that sounds pretty funny =)) =))

There are multi uses pyjamas =))
DruidDream
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby ramagut » Sep 27, 2009 12:41 pm

Now I'm going to have to go back and watch it again to see exactly what he was wearing. I thought as Wicked Swann did, that he was wearing his clothes awaiting Cornelius. Interesting...
ramagut
Moderator Emeritus
Mumsie Mod

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Sep 29, 2009 1:34 pm

well, when I first saw it, I didn't think about it. But on the third veiwing, I relised that he didn't change his clothes after he got out of bed!!!!!
and I watched carefully until I relised that he wore them until the battle and I thought, maybe that's why, when the Pevensies first meet Caspian, Susan looks at him funny..... =))
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Lady Éowyn » Sep 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Haha, I never thought of looking at it that way! His shirt is one of my favorite costume pieces in Prince Caspian, I never thought it stuck out because he wore it when he slept. At the risk of taking the topic too seriously, however, here are some thoughts that may make his "pajama" wearing seem less unusual and amusing.

He actually wears neither "pajamas" nor a "nightgown" here. "Pajamas" as such weren't actually worn until the 19th century. Apparently, historically, men either went without, or would wear a night shirt or just an underlayer (shirt/tunic) of whatever they wore during the day.

Comparing Caspian's shirt to, say, the comfortable-looking nightshirt Miraz wears during the night raid (simple, loose, ties at the neck and no buttons), I'd be inclined to say that Caspian's shirt and trousers were made for day wear. There is a lot of embroidery (which can be very uncomfortable to sleep on) and don't forget the buttons at the neck and the cuffs, and the buttons all the way down the trousers!

Also compare this outfit, or the shirt at least, to the shirt he wears in the deleted scene where Caspian goes stargazing with Cornelius. Caspian's shirt here is more like a nightshirt, more simple and comfortable looking, like Miraz's night shirt. However, it's also very similar to the shirt he wears under his farewell outfit, and it doesn't look out of place there.

Either way, whether the shirt in question was meant to be sleepwear, or whether he purposefully slept in "day" clothes for more stargazing, or just wore a day shirt for sleepwear, the shirt is very much indistinguishable from any other shirts that he would have worn under other tunics/coats.

So it doesn't actually stick out or look odd like, say, a pair of Bertie Wooster's heliotrope pajamas would. ;)
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby Lady of the Green Kirtle » Oct 01, 2009 4:32 pm

Well, I doubt he had much time to change or pack anything. Speaking of which where did he get the armor? :-?
That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. -Puddleglum
Lady of the Green Kirtle
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Adeona » Oct 02, 2009 12:53 pm

He picked it up from the castle armory on his way out, along with a sword, remember? (maybe you don't; for some reason that scene didn't register for me at first. It is short.)
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby narnia_lover127 » Oct 03, 2009 11:34 am

i had noticed that and wondered about it. i think what Lady Eowyn said makes a lot of sense. Caspian's clothes do look really different from what he wore in the video game to talk with Cornelius and from Miraz' nightshirt thing. Maby he was sleeping in his clothes that night.
or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch,Peter~Lucy

Avvie,sig:me!
narnia_lover127
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Quinlin » Oct 04, 2009 5:59 pm

I actually never thought of it as the way you phrased it, Liberty Hoffman, but now that I consider it, it does seem that he escaped in his so called 'night shirt'.

I looked back at some pictures of him in the beginning of the movie and noticed that his pants aren't actually really 'sleepwear'. They look like riding pants, or pants that he would wear on a daily bases.

In those days, people didn't really change into pajamas when they went to sleep. They simply removed items like cloaks, armor, or extra layers for bed. So while the idea's funny, I don't think Caspian literally saves Narnia in his pajamas. :p
I've Been to Narnia!
'I can still hear the hoofbeats in my heart'
Quinlin
NarniaWeb Fanatic
Birthday Committee Sub

Postby Lady of the Green Kirtle » Oct 05, 2009 6:53 pm

Adeona wrote:He picked it up from the castle armory on his way out, along with a sword, remember? (maybe you don't; for some reason that scene didn't register for me at first. It is short.)

Well it has been a while sense I've watched the movie. I'll have to go back and see
That's why I'm going to stand by the play world. I'm on Aslan's side even if there isn't any Aslan to lead it. I'm going to live as like a Narnian as I can even if there isn't any Narnia. -Puddleglum
Lady of the Green Kirtle
NarniaWeb Regular

Next