This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Got Questions? Find Answers! (The Costume Version)

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Got Questions? Find Answers! (The Costume Version)

Postby Meltintalle » Aug 05, 2009 1:52 pm

Help is here! :D

• Before opening a new thread, check to see if there is already an open thread on that topic (use the search function). To make it easier to find information on a costumes we'd like to have one thread for each costume. So if you find a dormant closed thread that you'd like to see open again, send a PM to a Costumes moderator.

Have you looked on The Wardrobe Door?

The Wardrobe Door is our partner site, and information found in the following threads (if accurate) will find its way there.

The Construction and Completion thread: In progress and completed looks at different costumers' takes on different costumes

Costume/Prop Resources and Tutorials

The Costumes: LWW

The Costumes: PC

The Costumes: VotDT
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Re: Help! Help! I want to do/make/find something.

Postby IloveFauns » Sep 11, 2009 2:43 am

sounds cool i might go check it out later on.
IloveFauns
NarniaWeb Zealot

Re: Help! Help! I want to do/make/find something.

Postby HappyGiant » Sep 12, 2009 9:13 am

When i read the name of the thread I was like "I want to stay clear of this" then i read the thread, and, well, okay! I'll chaeck it soon!
HappyGiant
NarniaWeb Nut

Re: Got Questions? Find Answers! (The Costume Version)

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 14, 2009 8:30 am

Good point about the thread title, HappyGiant. "Help, help! I want to do/find/make something" isn't very clear. I wasn't feeling very creative that day. I hope you like the new version better! :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby SwordMaiden » Sep 16, 2009 10:30 pm

Greetings,
I am not sure if this is the right place to post or not, but am searching everywhere for a bottle I could use for a girl's lucy costume.

She is wanting a bottle that is similar or could be used for Lucy's Cordial bottle...doesn' have to be exact, just something she could play with and pretend it was the real thing... :)

If you have any ideas for Lucy's Cordial Vial/Bottle please let me know, I would love to hear any ideas. Thank you.
SwordMaiden
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Meltintalle » Sep 17, 2009 7:43 am

Starting here, there was (in my opinion) a really good discussion on Cordial Bottles and how to do the decorations. Unfortunately, it looks like there isn't a picture of the finished project anymore, but it looked really good. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Lady Éowyn » Sep 17, 2009 8:56 pm

Ooh, that's a good tutorial. And if you're up to that, SwordMaiden, and if you want a plain bottle that has a similar shape to start out with, this bottle looks great. Similar shape, and a good size—about 5" tall. Found that by searching clear oval glass bottle, which seems to bring up the most similar shapes. Actually, that could work for play even if you don't decorate it!

But if you want a decorative bottle that already looks nice even if it doesn't look like the one in the movie, check eBay. There are a lot of pretty old perfume bottles and even tiny little nicely-shaped liquor bottles. Just search clear glass bottle, or glass bottle, or whatever works.
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

Postby SwordMaiden » Sep 17, 2009 9:11 pm

Meltintalle wrote:Starting here, there was (in my opinion) a really good discussion on Cordial Bottles and how to do the decorations. Unfortunately, it looks like there isn't a picture of the finished project anymore, but it looked really good. :)

thank you for the link, that helps so much. I haven't decided on if I am going to make it look like the movie (I'd really like to) perhap I will do two versions, a kids play one and a more accurate one for display?
Thanks again!

Lady Éowyn wrote:Ooh, that's a good tutorial. And if you're up to that, SwordMaiden, and if you want a plain bottle that has a similar shape to start out with, this bottle looks great. Similar shape, and a good size—about 5" tall. Found that by searching clear oval glass bottle, which seems to bring up the most similar shapes. Actually, that could work for play even if you don't decorate it!

But if you want a decorative bottle that already looks nice even if it doesn't look like the one in the movie, check eBay. There are a lot of pretty old perfume bottles and even tiny little nicely-shaped liquor bottles. Just search clear glass bottle, or glass bottle, or whatever works.

Thank you for your link to the oval bottles,. I will have get one of those for sure. (just in case I can't find anything else...or if I decorate it :)
I have been looking on Ebay, but haven't found just the right thing...yet...still looking... :)

Thank you again for your time.
I shall let you know how the bottle search goes, or if I just make one... that would be fun also.
SwordMaiden
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Nov 02, 2009 12:51 pm

I have a question...i made susans green archery dress. the lining turned out perfectly as did the dress...until I put it on. The front of the dress flaps forward and the arms keep slipping off my shoulders... what do I do?!?!?!
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Meltintalle » Nov 02, 2009 5:55 pm

What pattern did you use, A_Narnian_Ship? And does the front of the dress flap forward while the arms slip off your shoulders? It sounds a little bit like the shoulders are too wide/the neck is too big.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Nov 04, 2009 6:20 pm

I used McCalls 4490. Yes, the front of the dress flaps forward while the arms slip off my shoulders.
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby narnia_lover127 » Nov 23, 2009 5:42 pm

i had one question: does anyone have any ideas about making the belt for Susans' green dress from LWW? any ideas will be loved :)
or have you forgotten who really defeated the White Witch,Peter~Lucy

Avvie,sig:me!
narnia_lover127
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Meltintalle » Nov 24, 2009 8:33 am

A_Narnian_Ship, sorry it's taken me so long to reply... :ymblushing: That's the pattern I used, and I had the exact same problem. When I used the pattern again, I changed the slope of the shoulder. I think you can make it better by sewing a new seam at the shoulder, so there is a triangle shape between the original seam and new seams. The tip of the triangle should start at or near the sleeve. Sew it by hand, using big stitches, and you can play with the angle and if it doesn't work, or you don't like the result, you can rip it out easily. :)

Narnia_lover127, I would go to a thrift store and look for an extra long braided belt. Or, if you're feeling ambitious, you could take apart an old belt and make a new one using a material that doesn't fray.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Dec 03, 2009 12:42 pm

Meltintalle, Thank you so much! This worked perfectly!
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby QueenSusanJ316 » Jan 28, 2010 12:34 pm

Does anyone know where I can find fabric with a similar pattern to Susan's coronation dress from LWW? I have looked at some stores, but I could not find any? :-\ Thank you so much for your help! If there is any other ideas about making this dress I could surely use them, too.
PM me if you would like be part of a Lion Party in the state of New York!
QueenSusanJ316
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby High Queen of Narnia » Feb 06, 2010 7:51 pm

Hey, I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap fabric stores?
You can't help feeling stronger when you look at a place where you won a glorious victory not to mention a kingdom, hundreds of years ago.
High Queen of Narnia
NarniaWeb Regular

Next