This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Fabric for Susan's Farewell dress :)

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Fabric for Susan's Farewell dress :)

Postby LittleLionTamer » Mar 22, 2011 4:19 am

Dear Narnians,

I am right now on the edge of desperation because I just can't find ANY nice fabrics to use for Susan's overdress for her Farewell dress that I want to sew for the MCM Expo and it's fairly only 2 and a half months away! :( I looked everywhere, onlineshops and ebay and stores in my city, but mostly american onlineshops sell insane prices for the shipping. So I have to look somewhere around the European area. The next problem is that I have barely any idea left for WHICH fabric I have to look. I tried Jacquard, Brocade, Silk, Embroidered Taffeta and they have some nice offers but all in the wrong colours :( What else could I look for? The fabric for the underdress is easy but with embroidered things I am always pretty picky and I want it to look as accurate as possible.. *sighs* If any of you could help me, I would be really , really grateful! :) Thank you so much!
"But I'm always dreaming, even when I'm awake; it is never finished."
LittleLionTamer
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Fabric for Susan's Farewell dress :)

Postby coracle » Apr 09, 2011 10:53 pm

Do you have any fabric stores that you could go to in person, and ask for help? - that would give you help and remove the cost of shipping.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 10, 2011 11:08 am

Do you have any experience with dyes? If you've seen a white or other pale coloured fabric in the correct pattern you might be able to achieve the correct colour that way. :)

Also, like Auntie suggests, you could ask at the store that carries something similar to what you're looking for if they could order you that fabric in a different colour-way.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Susan's_look_a_like » Apr 14, 2011 4:15 pm

Littleliontamer - If you are not able to find the right fabric you could paint the design on then free embroider it with a machine or by hand. It will take longer, but you would get the exact design you want. I'm very picky about accuracy as well so I understand your frustration.
Like Narnia? Read Reading with the Heart: the Way into Narnia
d(^_^)b
Sig & avie: Checkers
Susan's_look_a_like
NarniaWeb Junkie