This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Polly Plummer

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Polly Plummer

Postby Anfinwen » Apr 16, 2011 8:01 am

Here is my Polly.
http://i56.tinypic.com/264m9hg.jpg
I liked the dark blue because it seemed more stiff and uncomfortable.
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 16, 2011 9:51 am

Very nicely done, Lady Arwen, both on the dress and on Polly too! Have you considered posting drawings like that in Fan Art? :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Anfinwen » Apr 22, 2011 9:53 am

Thank you Meltintalle, I actually thought of putting this picture in Fan Art instead of here. I used a picture of my mom as a little girl for Polly's face, only it doesn't look very much like her (my mom).
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby DamselJillPole » May 03, 2011 12:01 am

That is amazing The Lady Arwen Undómiel! It was exactly how I pictured Polly's dress and it's the same blue I thought of as well :D I did draw a picture similar to this about three years ago and need to find it. Great job! :) :ymapplause:
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Jadis101 » Jun 11, 2011 10:49 pm

The picture is great very much how I pictured her looking excpet I always saw her with a bit longer hair and her dress a bit lighter. I always pictured her looking somewhat like Alice haha.
Keeper of Jadis' Wolves
Jadis101
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Ithilwen » Jul 30, 2012 10:37 pm

I think it would be nice if Polly had some interesting stockings on. Like Jadis101, I've always pictured Polly much like Alice. And Alice is often drawn as having black and white striped stockings on. So maybe that's why. ;))

Also, Polly has always seemed very girly to me. Do you think maybe a more feminine color, such as pink, might suit her better?

~Riella =:)
Ithilwen
NarniaWeb Zealot

Location: Taking over the world while twirling my evil girlstache.

Postby Meltintalle » Jul 31, 2012 7:12 am

Pink. That reminds me of something... *rummages madly through her picture folders* Ah-HA! Dress

According to the Narnia timeline and the museum it's not the cutting edge of fashion for Magician's Nephew but I think it's cute. :)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Anfinwen » Jul 31, 2012 7:27 am

Oh! that dress is the embodiment of victorian girls style! I love it, and the colors perfect, not a bubblegum pink more of a raspberry.
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby ValiantArcher » Apr 13, 2013 6:33 pm

I love that dress, Mel! :D It's beautiful but not too frilly.

I was thinking about how many dresses Polly would actually need, and I was coming up with three: One for the first time she and Digory meet, one for the trip to Charn, and then one for the trip to Narnia. The last two happen on the same day, but considering that she got in trouble for wandering around a strange park and jumping in puddles, I was figuring she would have to change clothes. Then again, she only got her shoes and stockings wet, so maybe not. What do you all think? Am I missing any outfits? :)
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby coracle » Apr 13, 2013 10:31 pm

Mel, that's a nice dress. It's different from the 'sailor suit' style I had pictured her wearing, but perhaps I am thinking too much Edwardian.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 14, 2013 10:16 am

I think Polly is wearing a 'sailor suit' in the illustrations, isn't she? And I know there are a lot of variations on that theme. I saw one that pairs green and white and looks lovely:

1904 seaside dress

Valia wrote:considering that she got in trouble for wandering around a strange park and jumping in puddles, I was figuring she would have to change clothes. Then again, she only got her shoes and stockings wet, so maybe not.
If I were her mother, I wouldn't have her change her clothes. :p

However, since we are hypothetically styling her for the movie, having her in something dark for the trip to Charn and then a lighter colored dress for the creation of Narnia seems more visually relevant.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby ValiantArcher » Apr 14, 2013 2:51 pm

She has a blue sailor dress in the Pauline Baynes illustrations, yes, Mel. :) Huh, that green and white one would be interesting.

Mel wrote:If I were her mother, I wouldn't have her change her clothes. :p

Well, they tended to change clothes more often for meals and stuff. ;) I was mainly thinking if she'd dirtied her clothes, and then she'd been sent to her room for several hours and you don't want muddy or damp clothes ruining the furniture. ;))

I do like the idea of a darker dress for the first trip and a lighter dress for the second trip. Charn is all kind of red and orange, so a dark blue or green dress would be a nice contrast. :)
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby Meltintalle » Apr 14, 2013 3:05 pm

I'm thinking that changing clothes for meals applied more to adults than kids, and my impression is that both the Kirke and Plummer families were more middle class than High Society. [citation needed]
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby ValiantArcher » Apr 14, 2013 4:35 pm

Fair enough. I bow to your superior knowledge. ;) I still think it would not be unlikely for them to give that or some other excuse for her to change dresses if they so desired, though. ;))
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby coracle » Jul 06, 2013 12:38 am

ValiantArcher wrote:
Mel wrote:If I were her mother, I wouldn't have her change her clothes. :p

Well, they tended to change clothes more often for meals and stuff. ;) I was mainly thinking if she'd dirtied her clothes, and then she'd been sent to her room for several hours and you don't want muddy or damp clothes ruining the furniture. ;))

The whole point of girls wearing a pinafore over their dresses was so that if they got dirty, they simply changed the pinafore, not the whole dress. It was clearly taken as read that they would get their fronts a bit grubby.
When I was about seven I stayed in a children's home while my mother was in hospital, and we often had a pinafore/apron over our clothes. I think it made less washing for the staff.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby PhelanVelvel » Apr 30, 2014 1:17 am

Have to say I'm not a fan of pink myself. I prefer blue. :K But if it must be a pink sort of colour, I would rather see something like what Mel posted rather than a pale pink.

I think Baynes' illustrations do a very good job. I don't mind changing it up a bit, but I'd definitely want it to have the same Victorian feel.

I also wouldn't mind if Polly's dress subtly references Alice's Adventures in Wonderland. After all, Digory and Polly do go find their way into a rabbit-hole of their own.

Maybe something like one of those? Possibly the dress on the right? Minus the hats, obviously. The stockings and boots are pretty close to what Baynes drew, I believe. Not super keen on that style of collar, but that can always be tweaked a bit, for sure.

Maybe a collar more like that, perhaps less frilly, but that shape with the knot? Baynes' illustrations definitely included the knot, as her Polly was in the sailor-style dress.

I'd like the hairstyle very close to the original. Maybe something like that? Can't tell if the Baynes version is a headband or a ribbon, but it definitely looks like it serves the same purpose as a headband. That girl looks like Polly to me, though, for real!

Also, I just have to say, I know we have fun discussing costumes, but I live my life in shorts and t-shirts and I can't imagine having to wear this stuff, lol.
PhelanVelvel
NarniaWeb Nut

PreviousNext