This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Lady of the Green Kirtle

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Lady of the Green Kirtle

Postby Anfinwen » Jun 24, 2015 3:28 pm

The Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:I really love the idea of the folds of her dress softly, bewitchingly sparkling in the light of the green fire when she is playing her mandolin, and then suddenly turning dark and ominous-looking when Puddleglum has stamped out the flames

I like that idea a lot!

This painting of Lady Macbeth by John Singer Sargent really remind me of LotGK https://www.pinterest.com/pin/401101910540443683/

And this design by Omani designer Amal
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/401101910540443786/
Formerly The Lady Arwen Undómiel
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Sep 09, 2016 2:38 am

I was looking up Arthur Rackham's illustrations of Siegfried and the Twilight of the Gods after seeing Lewis mention them in Surprised by Joy, and a couple of them make me think of costume possibilities for the LotGK:

I like the full, flowing dress in this one; the visual the LotGK enfolded in a lot of beautiful, billowing fabric, as though to conceal her true form, could be a good one. (See also this Waterhouse painting.)

This illustration made me think of when the LotGK approaches the questers in Underland. I like the design of the sleeves and the weird symbols embroidered on the dress (makes me think of the strange, creepy designs carved into the giant bridge), and I also like her long braided hair—I think it would be neat if they styled the LotGK's hair like that at some point in the film.
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Adeona » Sep 15, 2016 12:56 pm

Those design ideas would definitely fit LotGK, Rose. :) I particularly like the thought of her hair being in two long braids at some point - braids have such a youthful and almost naïve look which would be perfect.
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby ValiantArcher » Oct 30, 2016 6:24 pm

Interesting, Rose. I know we'd discussed sleeker dresses to hint at the snake aspect, but the idea of loose-flowing clothes to conceal that aspect also makes sense. Perhaps her dresses could subtly but progressively get sleeker throughout the film? Though I feel like there should be something about her clothing when Drinian sees her that is a bit "off" with the innocent image portrayed in her first meeting with Rillian; that could subtly signal Drinian's discordance with Rillian.
Some days you battle yourself and other monsters.
Some days you just make soup.
ValiantArcher
BC Head and G&B Mod

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Feb 06, 2017 3:10 pm

I like the idea of the LotGK's dresses becoming progressively sleeker (and more snake-like) throughout the film, Valia!

I have a harder time making up my mind about what her first dress should look like, though. On the one hand, I feel like something should give the audience a slight clue that this woman is not all that she seems — that she is concealing a secret of some kind — but I'm quite against the idea of a poison green dress as Lewis describes, the sort of thing that might immediately tip the audience off to bad magic and Drinian's own reaction. That all depends on whether or not the filmmakers try to conceal her true nature from the audience for as long as possible, though!

In other Narnian fashion news, I ran across some Edmund Blair Leighton paintings the other day that offered some inspiration for the LotGK's wardrobe.

Stitching the Standard, as well as this painting which shows a similar (or the same?) dress from the back, struck me as being a good possibility for the dress that the LotGK might wear when Rilian first sees her. It looks very simple and unassuming, almost like something a peasant-girl would wear. I can imagine the overdress being a light, soft green. The loose-fitting overdress also makes me think of a kirtle, which were "loose-fitting garments without a waist seam" prior to the fourteenth century when they started to sport fitted bodices. (I wonder what style Lewis had in mind when he chose the word for her name, if any? I'm sure he had some knowledge of medieval fashion, but I don't know how extensive it was.)

Another set of paintings that caught my eye were these two, which seem to depict the same dress: this one and this one. I love the color and the design... so very pretty, and exactly the sort of thing that Jill might call a scrumptious dress, but also quite evocative of the scales of a snake! I can easily imagine her wearing a dress like this when the questers meet her in the mountains, or in her final scene in the Dark Castle.

That said, the lady in the latter painting looks so pious, I was almost hesitant to connect her ensemble with the evil LotGK, but it also got me thinking: do you suppose the LotGK might wear a head-covering similar to the one she is wearing, as if to bolster her false innocence? (I can also picture it transforming into the hood of a snake, which is seen on species such as the cobra.)
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Mar 06, 2017 3:32 pm

The other day Pattertwig's Pal and I were discussing what the LotGK might wear at the fountain, and I drew her description...

Well, I haven't scanned the drawing yet, but that's okay because I found something really similar in a Giorgio Armani fashion show. ;)

Just imagine it in really vibrant green...
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Anfinwen » Mar 06, 2017 5:55 pm

Ooh yes! Shiny and textured and clingy! That could probably be animated to swirl around her and then stick and become skin as she transforms into a snake, something like the animation for the transformation in "Beauty and the Beast." I have a whole Pinterest board of costumes that remind me of SC, mostly for LotGK. Most of them are snaky and metallic, but there are some similar to that pic.
https://www.pinterest.com/Anfinwen/narn ... ver-chair/
I'd really love to see your drawing too, even though you found a similar pic.
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 06, 2017 7:04 pm

*dies*

That is such an awesome dress, Mel! I love how soft and non-threatening it looks... I mean, it slays in terms of fashion sense, but it's hardly combat-ready. You wouldn't expect someone dressed like that to be a physical threat, making her transformation into the snake all the more shocking. It would be a great look for the fountain, but I can also easily imagine her wearing something like that in the enchantment scene, with the sparkling folds of the dress glinting in the green firelight.

Your pinterest board is awesome, Anfinwen! And I concur, I'd like to see Mel's drawing as well!
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Meltintalle » Mar 07, 2017 6:08 pm

Rose-Tree Dryad wrote:Your pinterest board is awesome, Anfinwen!

Ditto! Very inspiring! :D

This is not the original drawing, it's more closely based on one of the gowns from the pinterest board, and I did a slightly better job at representing the transparent wrap this time around... but it's the same idea. :)

Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby Anfinwen » Mar 08, 2017 1:46 pm

Ooh, I like it! Beautiful job, Meltintalle! The sheer wrap really adds to the air of mystery and makes her look almost like Baynes' illustrations of dryads in LWW (the first pic of Aslan and his followers).
Anfinwen
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Mar 08, 2017 3:42 pm

I love it, Mel! It's beautiful :ymapplause: I especially like that you added sleeves. That's a great point about it resembling the LWW dryad illustrations, Anfinwen. I hope they draw a lot of inspiration from nymphs for her outfits, especially the one at the fountain!

I like the idea of taking the transparent wrap concept and having it be an element present in all of the outfits she wears... her final gown might even have a veil reminiscent of a bridal veil, given that she is anticipating marrying Rilian and becoming Queen of Narnia.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby aileth » Apr 03, 2017 9:19 am

I ran across this from the Sony World Photography Awards.

I can imagine TLotGK looking like this (someone brought up the possibility of her having red hair, but that's not essential). Not the dress (no bare arms please) so much, as the accessories: that is, the cat.

Someone else is sure to have thought of this before, but when she mentions the comparison of her world vs. Narnia (sun/lamp, Aslan/cat) I never pictured her actually having a cat. It would be difficult to thrum on a lute while stroking her pet, I suppose, but it would be interesting if she had a cat or two hanging about her apartments. No doubt there would be an outcry from felinophiles worldwide, condemning the stereotyping of cat-lovers, but it might be worth it.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Apr 03, 2017 4:04 pm

I'm fond of cats myself (though have never had one as a pet :(() and I can imagine her having a few cats around her apartments as well, but I can also think of one major problem with including them. :P When the Witch has been killed and the questers and Rilian are escaping the flooding kingdom, I really don't want to be thinking "But you've got to save the cat!!!" =)) And if they did try to bring Fluffy along with them, I'm pretty sure its typical feline antics around the rising floodwaters would be a little distracting. :))

The topic of accessories is a good one, though! For instance, in her last appearance, she is introduced as the Queen of Underland, and it would make sense that she would wear a crown. I've never imagined her as wearing a normal crown, though; in the Pauline Baynes' illustrations, she wears what appears to be a wisp of a garland, or just some small twigs strewn through her hair and pinned to her dress. (It's a bit hard to tell, but it definitely has a wood nymph-ish vibe.) So they may end up going more "woodland fairy" than "regal queen"... I really like the Pauline Baynes' drawings, so anything inspired by them is a-okay with me.
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby GroupHug » Aug 16, 2017 7:05 pm

Ok so bare arms they are just arms and shoulders. B-) Lol The possibility of some of the dresses being arm baring will probably be what happens in the movie. There are wraps like shown above other options are sheer sleeves cloaks and form fitted but Haute couture avaunt garde styled coat jacket blazers with snake skin, feathers, and the like.

http://www.clavonna.com/cache/image/851 ... 20x595.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/be/df/6e/bedf ... -queen.jpg

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/fb/8b/c4/fb8b ... esses-.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... b07bff.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/56 ... 27dc37.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/73 ... -dress.jpg

These are a few ideas I've had in my mind awhile. Which styles are more suitable for the character. Tried to look for a few images that were sleeve worthy and came upon partial sleeves instead! :) Does it give off an air of mystery and subtle intrigue or enchantment? What do you all think?
GroupHug
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Eustace » Oct 18, 2017 7:47 pm

Guys, I found a perfect costume for Lady of the Green Kirtle:
Attachments
66061099a66304a30b510aaca89d937f (1).jpg
66061099a66304a30b510aaca89d937f (1).jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 41163 times
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Lu_valient » Oct 19, 2017 9:21 pm

I just had fun going through a lot of the old posts in this thread and one thing I noticed was hanging sleeves were mentioned quite a few times, which I thought was interesting. I was also going through Anfinwen's pinterest boards and noticed this:
https://www.pinterest.com/pin/401101910544207819/
The border print of her dress got me to thinking, it would be interesting to see a variety of snakelike elements throughout all of her costumes, whether through the shape of the gown itself (a la https://images.moviepilot.com/image/upload/c_fill,h_470,q_auto:good,w_620/q0bc2elcss7y8sjuom2o.jpg-in which her shoulders I think are supposed to be reminiscent of a viper), the textures (a la http://www.shortlistdubai.com/sites/default/files/styles/article_small_picture/public/images/2016/07/04/Emilia-Clarke-Youtube.jpg?itok=_xsxVe4G-the fabric of her gown is pleated to look like dragonscales), or shapes on the hardware (in this case I was thinking about celtic knots, its pretty easy to look up celtic serpents and think of things like what you find).
made by katherine
Lu_valient
NarniaWeb Nut

Previous