This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Lucy in VDT

Dressing up Narnia-style!

Moderator: Meltintalle

Re: Lucy in VDT

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Mar 17, 2010 7:55 pm

^^Idk. Just b/c it looks like it has a lion's head doesn't mean it's Peter's. I would be rather upset if it was.

I really like Lucy's outfit for this, but I like others, I hope she has at least one dress.
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 18, 2010 1:12 pm

I hope she doesn't have a dress.....and I don't think she will from seeing the pictures! :D
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Adeona » Mar 18, 2010 4:04 pm

I wouldn't be so sure Liberty! There are whole islands we don't know anything much about yet. There's plenty of room for a dress to appear somewhere...
I hope...
RL Sibs: Aviator, Lizzle, Narniancricket, DancingPrincesses, Andriel
Adeona
NarniaWeb Guru
Thursday's Wayfaring Child

Postby A_Narnian_Ship » Mar 18, 2010 4:35 pm

It would be so boring for us costume freaks if she didn't wear any dresses!!! I hope she wears at least 1!!
I saw the movie....and was disappointed
A_Narnian_Ship
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby wolfloversk » Mar 18, 2010 4:57 pm

^I'm assuming she'll have either a dress or a skirt on for her England outfit. Otherwise I would be highly upset about historical accuracy, however it will be a shame not to see her in a Narnian dress (they're gorgeous!)
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby Windsong » Mar 18, 2010 6:10 pm

I think she will be wearing at least one dress. Maybe they will have a scene where Lucy is present {and wearing a dress} at the wedding of Caspian and the Daughter of Ramandu?

Windsong
NW friends and siblings...AliceLuna, Liberty Hoffman, Lucy of Narnia, Lyneya,
Miss Rosario, MistressofDawn, Narnia Fanatic, Pogginfan, Silver the Wanderer, Smartypants, The Rose-Tree Dryad, TheValiantLucy, wild rose, Winterlife and Wolfloversk.
Windsong
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 19, 2010 1:50 pm

Adeona wrote:I wouldn't be so sure Liberty! There are whole islands we don't know anything much about yet. There's plenty of room for a dress to appear somewhere...
I hope...

^^ true.....
wolfloversk wrote:^I'm assuming she'll have either a dress or a skirt on for her England outfit. Otherwise I would be highly upset about historical accuracy, however it will be a shame not to see her in a Narnian dress (they're gorgeous!)

well, she probably will have one then :) ! I just like the way she looks in the outfit she's wearing in most of the pictures!
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby DamselJillPole » Apr 02, 2010 3:20 pm

At first I didn't want Lucy to be in Caspian's clothes for the entire film but it looks as if it might be that way. I am starting to like the sword she carries. I wonder if she will beat out Susan in the tough category of rivaling sisters. lol!
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Wunderkind4HIM » Apr 30, 2010 3:14 pm

I really hope she does wear a dress but not at the wedding...they are supposed to be gone by then. That is the whole reason they are able to rescue the last three lords and Caspian can marry RD
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C. S. Lewis
Wunderkind4HIM
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Narniajewel » May 10, 2010 9:53 am

NothinButNarnia wrote:true NarniaWally, I hope her dress (if she wears a dress) is different from the ones in the past 2 movies, it just wouldnt be practical and I think look pretty foolish on the Dawn Treader

I would hope that she would wear a dress at some point. In that day and age, it would have been inappropriate for a lady, let alone a queen to wear anything less than a dress, regardless of how impractical it would seem. In the pics in the books she's in a dress. The pics show different styles where she is not wearing a dress which seem to show that they've tried to modernize everything for the film again. That does not inspire me much as the books do not lend themselves to being modernized well. I know they change things for the films. Oh how I wish they wouldn't. I'd prefer Lucy in a dress once she's out of Caspian's clothes. Even if it were like Susan's battle costume, like for the battle in PC, they at least kept her in a dress.
Narniajewel
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Wunderkind4HIM » May 10, 2010 6:06 pm

Well put, Narniajewel!
Now, what were you talking about in the book? Have they made new pictures aside from Pauline Baynes' (that would be a great offense!!!)? Her pictures only show Lucy in her dress from here and Caspian's clothes...I really hope they do not follow those pictures because Lucy really needs a dress!! [-( :D

I say Enough of this debate on whether or not she has a dress ;) ...let us move to a more intetesting subject. Like what it should look like if she does have one.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." ~C. S. Lewis
Wunderkind4HIM
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Meltintalle » May 10, 2010 7:42 pm

Well, I don't remember if I've posted this or not, but I've been drawing Lucy in VDT as wearing an underdress based on Caspian's main shirt in PC, and an overdress inspired by this picture. (I believe the couple is Dutch, and it's dated from the 1600's.)

my pictures: front view
back view
swirly side view (and my favourite)
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby DamselJillPole » May 14, 2010 8:13 am

Meltintalle I love your drawings of Lucy and the dress. It looks very Narnian. :)

Great job!
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby coracle » Jun 17, 2010 3:05 am

Costumes from the Trailer:

Lucy in the scene with the box of groceries:
A dark brown coat with a fur collar (how cold is Cambridge supposed to be in summer?). Skirt shows just below hem of coat (see below). Dark brown lace-up shoes and fawn/white ankle socks. Blue hair band. Thick medium brown wool scarf. There is a silver brooch pinned on her coat - can't see what it is.

Lucy in the spare room/transition by water:
Dark grey plaid skirt cut on the cross. Medium-dark grey buttoned cardigan (highish v-neck), over lighter blue-grey blouse with collar and little pintucks either side of central button bands. Blue hair band.
In the rescue shot on the side of the ship we see her blouse showing about 2 inches below the cardigan. On board she is now holding a rough woven brown blanket over her to keep warm, and her blouse collar and top button are showing.

Lucy in mirror shot:
Wearing a man's plain white shirt.

Lucy waving to seagirl:
Fancier shirt, with gathered standing collar,more like those Caspian wore in PC.
She is wearing the same shirt in the Magician's room, but with the orangey brown leather jerkin - the point at the front of the standing collar can fold down (like a normal collar).

(I haven't mentioned the trousers she is wearing with the shirts - in the screen caps it's hard to see them. But somewhere she has gained the blue velvety trousers we all admire!)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jun 17, 2010 1:51 pm

I don't think Lucy is going to have any dresses! cool! I mean, what good would a dress be on board a ship.....?
I love her outfits in all the pictures we saw! awesomeness!
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master

Postby Lady Éowyn » Jun 18, 2010 11:17 am

Good breakdown, coracle. Couple things: I'm not seeing a fur collar, just the scarf, which kind of looks like a fur collar in the close-up shots. I think the brooch you mentioned is actually three large matching buttons down the right breast of the coat—see this shot.

So far, besides that embroidered white shirt in the mirror shot, and her English costume, we've still only basically seen one costume—the blue velvet trousers/white shirt/red tunic/sometimes with detachable long sleeves outfit. ;)
Lady Éowyn
Moderator Emeritus

PreviousNext