2 – Jill Is Given a Task

Moderator: Pattertwigs Pal

Re: 2 – Jill Is Given a Task

Postby Eustace » Aug 21, 2017 2:35 pm

2. The Lion’s voice “did not make [Jill] any less frightened than she had been before, but it made her frightened in rather a different way.” What types of fear is Lewis distinguishing between?

I thought Lewis might be referring to the awestruck feeling you can get when you are very surprised about something. This type of fear is a synonym for horrified and frightened. It is very different to hear about animals talking and to see a huge lion talk in real life.

4. Why doesn't the lion promise not to eat Jill?

Aslan wanted to let her know that He was not a tame lion. He might not be safe but He is good. He wanted her to teach her a lesson in trusting Him without Him having to say it.

5. The Lion says he has “swallowed up girls and boys, women and men, kings and emperors, cities and realms.” Do you think he means this literally?

I never took it really literally, but I could it could be both literally and figuratively. Literally, Aslan as being who He was could have swallowed up people, cities, and realms, and if things were really that bad like in Charn, I don’t see why He wouldn’t have. But, there is also the possibility that Aslan was just talking about figuratively.

7. Why does the Lion want Jill to admit she was showing off?

It may have to do with Jill understanding that she has a problem in that area of her life. After all, they say you can’t fix a problem unless you know you have it. But, also I think it had to do with Jill realizing why she had done it in the first place. Jill may not have been thinking about the real reason why she was doing that and instead making excuses in her mind. I think she needed to admit it out loud to see how dumb that really was.

8. Lewis writes: “It was very alarming walking back to the edge of the cliff, especially as the Lion did not walk with her but behind her—making no noise on his soft paws.” What makes this so alarming?
Jill did not trust the Lion because she did not really know Him yet.
I think Jill was still afraid of Aslan as she should be, she was afraid she might die. The feeling though that she was feeling is similar to the feeling people get when they know someone is following them but they can’t hear them or when they turn around they can’t see them
Homeschoolers taking over the World!
Member of RD's club.
VP of the CWM club
Dragon fan club
I Support Scrubb!
Eustace
NarniaWeb Junkie

Previous