This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Introduction to the Reading Group

Moderator: Pattertwigs Pal

Introduction to the Reading Group

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Apr 28, 2017 9:13 pm

Welcome to The Silver Chair Reading Group. We will have many opportunities for discussion. Each week I will post questions to help start discussion. You do not have to answer all or even any of the questions. Feel free to comment on other people’s comments, simply post your thoughts on the chapter, or ask your own questions.

If you have read the book before, please be careful when answering the questions so as not to give anything away. Try to answer the questions based on what is known so far in the story and not based on what you know from reading The Silver Chair or other works by Lewis. If you need to talk about something from a future chapter or another work of fiction by Lewis, put it in spoilers. Also, be aware that there are American and British versions so some differences may arise.

We are planning on reading and discussing 1-2 chapters a week. We will post questions for the first two chapters May 1st. New questions will be posted each Monday. You do not have to keep up with the group. As long as the threads are unlocked you are free to post in them. The reading group will be open until we post a closing notice. We also will post a closing notice well in advance of the actual close date. If you want to get a feel for how a reading group works, you can check out the VDT reading group in the archived forums.

For this reading group we are adding incentives. First for each chapter you post in you will get a piece of a wallpaper. Second, the reading is going to be featured on Talking Beast: A NarniaWeb Podcast. We will be discussing the book and including thoughts from posts in the reading group. Post quickly to increase your changes of hearing your answer on the podcast!

This thread is open for questions and/or comments.

Pattertwig's Pal, Moderator
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: Introduction to the Reading Group

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Apr 29, 2017 3:20 am

Glory be! :) Please count me in. And I'll try to keep pace so long as I don't end up talking to myself. :(
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby aileth » Apr 29, 2017 8:26 am

:D wagga! Some days....

It is much better, I find, to keep pace and be involved. But that all depends on how life falls out.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Apr 29, 2017 10:44 am

Yay! Count me in, too. I'm due for a re-read, especially now that things are moving forward with pre-production of the movie. :D
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Postby Reepicheep775 » Apr 30, 2017 3:52 pm

Count me in! :D

I was slowly making my way through the series again anyway. I was about to start VDT, but I can easily switch up the order this time and read SC first.
Reepicheep775
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby coracle » May 01, 2017 2:27 am

I'm keen to join in - last time I started as part of the team and fell by the wayside due to being busy. I really love this book, and am looking forward to reading it again and seeing others' views on it. :)
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie

Postby Glumpuddle » May 01, 2017 8:43 am

Incredibly excited to take another look at The Silver Chair and read everyone's responses! :-bd
YouTube.com/gpuddle | Facebook.com/gpuddle | Twitter.com/glumpuddle
Glumpuddle
NarniaWeb Zealot
Multimedia Producer, News Poster, Social Media Manager

Postby Movie Aristotle » May 02, 2017 9:57 pm

This is such excellent timing for a Silver Chair reading group! Count me in!
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Moonlit_Centaur » May 04, 2017 8:26 am

I'm going to join because I have recently started re-reading the series and just finished tVotDT. This launch was great timing for me! :)
Remember that no matter who comes against you, always forgive them. "To be a Christian means to forgive the inexcusable because God had forgiven the inexcusable in you." (C.S.Lewis)
Moonlit_Centaur
NarniaWeb Newbie

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » May 04, 2017 3:32 pm

Thanks to Glumpuddle for contributing some of the questions for this reading group.
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby Sir Edmond the just » Dec 19, 2018 7:25 am

Are you going ro be doing anymore reading groups
“Awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew
Sir Edmond the just
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Dec 19, 2018 8:22 pm

Yes, we will be doing more reading groups. However, this one will still be open for a while so please read through Silver Chair and post in this forum.
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby Sir Edmond the just » Dec 20, 2018 8:36 am

ok thanks
“Awake. Love. Think. Speak. Be walking trees. Be talking beasts. Be divine waters.”
― C.S. Lewis, The Magician's Nephew
Sir Edmond the just
NarniaWeb Regular

Postby Courtenay » Oct 15, 2019 2:36 pm

Hello all,

Obviously it's been a while since this reading group finished — just to let you all know, I'd be very happy to participate in a reading group for any of the Chronicles as well, if others are interested and a new one is started. Or else one of Lewis's other books or any related works of interest! :)
"Now you are a lioness," said Aslan. "And now all Narnia will be renewed." (Prince Caspian)
Courtenay
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Movie Aristotle » Nov 03, 2019 7:34 pm

Courtenay,

There's no need to feel left out of The Silver Chair reading group. The threads are still open, and honestly, some people (like myself) still intend to post. So go ahead and grab your copy of The Silver Chair and then let us know your thoughts!
Movie Aristotle
Movie Aristotle
NarniaWeb Junkie