This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Chapter 15 The Wonders of the Last Sea

Moderator: Pattertwigs Pal

Chapter 15 The Wonders of the Last Sea

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Oct 14, 2015 3:41 am

1. Which wonder do you find the most wonderful or the most interesting?

2. What does the different characters' reactions to the Sea People say about their personalities?

3. What do you think about the ratio of action to description in this chapter?

4. What is the tone of this chapter? Do you notice any differences between the tone of this chapter and previous chapters?

5. Do you think you would like to visit the Sea People?

6. How do the Sea People contrast not only with the mermaids Lucy is familiar with but with those we are more familiar with?
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: Chapter 15 The Wonders of the Last Sea

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Oct 24, 2016 7:32 pm

That Reepicheep forgot to attack the Sea People – just kidding. ;)) I find the effect the water had on them the most interesting. It didn’t just affect one change on them but several.
2. What does the different characters' reactions to the Sea People say about their personalities?
Reep is willing to accept a challenge even if it means jumping into the water to fight below the surface. Lucy’s reaction is calm and when she doesn’t understand Drinian’s reaction it shows her innocence. Drinian’s reaction shows his wisdom and knowledge of the dangers of the sea.

There isn’t a lot of action but I don’t think this chapter needs more than it has. The descriptions are interesting and help the readers to feel the calmness and unhurriedness of the journey.

4. What is the tone of this chapter? Do you notice any differences between the tone of this chapter and previous chapters?
The tone for the most part calm and full of wonder. The other chapters do not have that calm feeing. There is tension and fear.
No, they don’t sound very nice.
6. How do the Sea People contrast not only with the mermaids Lucy is familiar with but with those we are more familiar with?
The Sea People can’t breath above water; mermaids can
It appears from the illustration, that the Sea People have legs; mermaids I am familiar with do not have legs; they have fins. I don’t know what color hair the mermaids Lucy knew had but I have seen pictures of mermaids with more normal hair colors.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby aileth » Oct 25, 2016 9:47 pm

Twigs wrote:1. Which wonder do you find the most wonderful or the most interesting?
That Reepicheep forgot to attack the Sea People – just kidding.

:D

The sweet water is the most striking, with its effect on everyone; the description of the lonely undersea road is rather wonderful. It stirs my imagination, as if there could be so many untold stories that we, alas, will never know.

Drinian, the ever practical, wanted nothing to do with them. Edmund didn't seem overly eager to make their acquaintance--no fear of him jumping overboard. I think Lucy was interested in everyone she met. Whether this was because she was so observant and curious, or became that way because she was interested in people first, I don't know. Reepicheep is strictly in character--no surprises there.

We begin to feel with them that we have entered a different sort of place. Lonely and wild, in one sense (or perhaps desolate would be the better word); once they had begun to drink the water a sense of calm seemed to fall on them, as if most things had lost their importance.

It does give a rather dreamy feel to this portion of the voyage. You're right, Twigs, that there is no danger or strenuous effort needed here. They are being carried along by the current, towards...who knows what? Yet you don't get the sense that they minded all that much. Okay, maybe the sailors were worried.

Not really; they sound rather fierce. Yet I suppose that they might be an honourable and hospitable people if you got to know them under the right circumstances.

Legs instead of ichthyoidal tails; they can't breathe out of the water and are unable to communicate with words because of that. Naturally, I would expect them to have their own language--do you think they would have been able to speak to and understand the ships' crew, had that barrier not existed? Lewis makes these people sound very regal, independent creatures; even his choice of colours emphasizes their nobility.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 17, 2016 1:35 am

The concept of "Drinkable Light". It sounds so inviting, and so nourishing, and I can't think of anything so evocative as to want to drink it. Especially as frequently I do get ever so thirsty. Even here, where light is just so plentiful.

Edmund and Drinian, in particular, think of their responsibilities and how the crew are likely to respond. Which is important. Just because leaders can govern their own instincts doesn't mean followers always can. Both Edmund and Drinian are definitely leaders who would be worth following by being good examples.

Whereas Reepicheep initially thinks he is being challenged by the sight of a threatening Sea Person warrior. But he is then distracted by falling into the "sweet water", which recalls the song he sang all the way to this point in the story.

aileth wrote: I think Lucy was interested in everyone she met. Whether this was because she was so observant and curious, or became that way because she was interested in people first, I don't know

I think that Lucy just liked watching this undersea world go by, and wasn't in any danger of jumping in, unlike Reepicheep. She didn't take the Sea King's threats personally. :D

To be honest, I didn't think about such matters. It is sometimes nice not to be in scuffles, riots etc. And just to drift along which is what they seem to be doing. At this point in VDT, all the missing lords have been accounted for, even if the Dawn Treader still has to break the enchantment over the four lords who still slumber at Ramandu's Island.

Not particularly, to be honest. It is quieter, maybe, but does all life have to be at the point of crisis? The things that would worry me still in this chapter is what the ship is likely to encounter at the extreme East, which is what is implied in a "flat" world. Or isn't that world as flat as might appear? Not to mention the size of the Sun. Maybe this chapter is merely the lull before the storm?

Not particularly. They sound far too fierce, and might not be able to listen to reason.

In lots of ways. Mermaids are supposed to be alluring, not fierce antagonists. Furthermore, however Lucy might have been familiar with mermaids, the whole concept of mermaids has changed in the last twenty years. These "Sea People" seem to have their own limbs, unlike traditional merpeople, but they are also more aggressive, just like those "Sea People, seen in both the Harry Potter movies and those of the Pirates of the Caribbean movies.

I think that Drinian and Lucy were quite right to leave well alone.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot