This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Chapter 12 - Sorcery and Sudden Vengeance

Moderator: Pattertwigs Pal

Chapter 12 - Sorcery and Sudden Vengeance

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Dec 23, 2014 8:24 am

1. Do you think the hag was correct in saying, "you can always get them back"? In other words, what do you think would have happened if the hag had been allowed to try her magic?

2. What did the werewolf mean when he said, "I am hunger, I am thirst"?

3. What did we learn about the characters in this chapter?

4. What was your favorite part of this chapter?
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: Chapter 12 - Sorcery and Sudden Vengeance

Postby Ryadian » Jan 26, 2015 10:47 pm

1. Do you think the hag was correct in saying, "you can always get them back"? In other words, what do you think would have happened if the hag had been allowed to try her magic?
Personally, I don't believe they would've been able to do a full resurrection. The best I think they could have done was to raise her spirit in some way, or more likely, an echo of her spirit. Now, it may have had some of her power, and it may very well have been able to wreak havoc on Miraz's army, but I don't believe it would have truly been the Witch. Also, I don't believe for a second that this would have happened without some enormous cost, even above and beyond the consequences of using black magic and bringing her back.

I think he was emphasizing his persistence and ruthlessness. The werewolf spoke a great deal about how much he would hound (*ahem*) their enemies, and how unstoppable he supposedly was. To be a force as ravaging as hunger and thirst would be quite a claim indeed.

Trufflehunter has established himself as the most faithful of the bunch, without a doubt. Even Doctor Cornelius was beginning to doubt that the help was coming, but Trufflehunter never gave up on the idea that it might still be on the way. It was re-enforced that Cornelius is a rather perceptive person, but a cautious one, too; he seemed to figure out pretty quickly what the hag was (likely the werewolf as well), but still waited to let them present their plan before confronting either of them.

At this point, I think we already knew that Nikabrik was a selfish person who cared more about his people specifically, as well as perceived slights, than he did about others, but this chapter showed us just how far he was willing to go. He went out and found a hag and a werewolf, and was going to try to bring back the White Witch - and regardless of how bad she was to humans versus dwarfs, she did put Narnia under a one-hundred year winter curse, she is not a good solution! Finally, about Caspian - I think we see how much he's grown so far. When he first met the Old Narnians, he was a scared boy, who basically went along with whatever anyone said to him. In this chapter, though, we see him standing up to Nikabrik, defending his actions, and utterly rejecting Nikabrik's plan because he knew it was wrong. We really get to see Caspian going from a prince to a King.

I think my favorite part about this chapter is how perfect the timing all is. After a few days of the Pevensies (and Trumpkin) having to endure their journey and trust in Aslan for guidance, we get back to Aslan's How and discover see that Caspian and council are beginning to lose hope themselves, and are looking for other solutions. We see how they respond to the pressure, as well; Caspian and Cornelius began to doubt but still held true to Aslan, while Nikabrik, of course, found his own way. Trufflehunter held out the longest, to the point where he (inadvertently) correctly predicted that the help was right outside the door! I just like that aspect of this whole encounter. :P :)
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » May 23, 2015 6:08 pm

I believe that Aslan killed the witch. The only way she could come back is because he allowed it and I have no doubt it would be in weaken form. I am inclined to believe that he arranged for Peter, Edmund, and Trumpkin to be there in time not to stop the return of the witch but to add warriors to the good side so Nikabrik, the werewolf, and the hag could be defeated.
I don't know hence the question. ;)) It does sound very grand and threatening. It could be metaphors for his character; he is a persistent enemy who can wear down and weaken his prey.
Doctor Cornelius has succumbed to disappointment because the help didn't come promptly.
Nikabrik is bitter and sees unfairness where there is none. He is desperate and cares not where he gets help. The right of the dwarves is his main concern.
Caspian is a bit defensive but will not go over to the witches side no matter what. He has great respect for the kings of the past and Aslan.
Trufflehunter is faithful, loyal, and never gives up on Aslan. He gets defensive when Caspian or Aslan are criticized.
Peter is kingly yet not obsessed with power. He knows his job is to help Caspian into his place.

It is hard to pick just one but I love the first interchange between Caspian and Peter. Trufflehunter is amazing and I like that Caspian is quick to stop the plan of bring back the witch.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby aileth » May 24, 2015 12:08 pm

No. Without going into a long discussion on spirits and other ugly matters of the sort, I would say that it wasn't possible. There is only one who is able to legitimately raise the dead. It may have been possible for them to bring up something that looked like her, and acted like her (ugh! who'd want that?). Nor would it have done them any good. Anything a la White Witch would have been far worse than Miraz and his ilk.

I don't doubt that the werewolf was a dangerous and persistent creature, as implied by its boasting. My ultimate thought: "You really think you're something, don't you? But actually, you're dead!" A most satisfying ending.

Lewis certainly divided the wheat and the chaff here. No doubt about who was good and who wasn't.

4. What was your favourite part of this chapter?
The part where they are all struggling in the dark, grasping their "enemies". This chapter is a bit grim and tragic, but Lewis manages to lighten it by the sheer inanity of those moments. Not exactly a formal way of two kings meeting each other, but nevertheless both show their nobility in less than ideal circumstances. And then they ate--back to the practical.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub