This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Chapter 2 - The Ancient Treasure House

Moderator: Pattertwigs Pal

Chapter 2 - The Ancient Treasure House

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Oct 14, 2014 6:21 am

1. Peter and Lucy both comment on how the ruins give them a strange feeling. Edmund and Susan do not comment. Why do you think this is? Is there something about Peter and Lucy that make them especially sensitive? Did Edmund and Susan feel something too and just not say anything?

2. Why did it take the children so long to figure out that they were in Narnia?

3. The children realise they are in Narnia through several different things. Why did Lewis do this? Which do you think is most important?

4. How does Lewis use the children’s memories of their previous visit, in this chapter? Would you remember this sort of detail after 12 months back in your usual home?

5. The Treasure Chamber has clearly remained undisturbed for a long time. A lot of treasure remains (even a brooch that they thought was lost!), and Susan's bow and Peter's sword are undamaged. Why was the Chamber undisturbed even though the rest of the castle had fallen to ruins?

6. What do you think about the description of school suppers?

7. How would you describe Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy?

8. Why are Susan’s reactions already so different from how the others react?

9. Edmund and Peter have several helpful items with them (pocket knives, electric torch, matches, and a compass). Why do you think this is?
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: Chapter 2 - The Ancient Treasure House

Postby Ryadian » Oct 14, 2014 10:28 am

1. Peter and Lucy both comment on how the ruins give them a strange feeling. Edmund and Susan do not comment. Why do you think this is? Is there something about Peter and Lucy that make them especially sensitive? Did Edmund and Susan feel something too and just not say anything?
I think that Edmund and Susan likely felt the same thing--I think they all, to some degree, knew where they really were. However, Edmund was thinking about things far more practically (and was very caught up on the idea that "this can't have all happened in a year"), and Susan wasn't in the mood to explore and find out, so maybe it just didn't register for them initially. Meanwhile, Peter was the High King of Narnia, and Lucy has the strongest connection to Narnia, so it's more natural that when the possibility is presented, they're going to more easily believe it.

For one thing, this Narnia is very different than the one they're used to. Cair Paravel has had so many changes--it's now ruined on an island--that they really have to think about it to recognize it. Besides that, they haven't met anyone since their arrival, and I think when they think of Narnia, they're just as likely to think of its inhabitants as the places. Finally, now that they've acknowledged that they ARE in Narnia and in the ruins of Cair Paravel... it's not a nice feeling to return to a place you called home and see it in such ruin.

3. The children realise they are in Narnia through several different things. Why did Lewis do this? Which do you think is most important?
One thing this does is make it clear that the children don't just assume they're in Narnia because that's what they want--they prove it through various different clues. I think it also expresses that they're more than just children--they're smart enough to not only survive on their own for a couple of days, but also to piece together a puzzle like that. I think it serves as a good reminder that these children were once Kings and Queens, and they still think that way.

4. How does Lewis use the children’s memories of their previous visit, in this chapter? Would you remember this sort of detail after 12 months back in your usual home?
If I'd lived there long enough, sure. Granted, I've never been away from my home for even a full month at a time, but I've lived here long enough that if I came back to its ruins, I think I could piece things together. I think having the children remember things the way they do brings a solemn element to the chapter, since they have to see their home in such a state. They remember all the good times they had, and it's now very clear that those times are behind them.

5. The Treasure Chamber has clearly remained undisturbed for a long time. A lot of treasure remains (even a brooch that they thought was lost!), and Susan's bow and Peter's sword are undamaged. Why was the Chamber undisturbed even though the rest of the castle had fallen to ruins?
In terms of its physical state, being underground probably protected it from weathering and the like. As for why the treasure was left behind, I have a feeling that the Narnians respected their Kings and Queens too much to disturb the treasure, so they left the doors sealed. By the time the Narnians would have forgotten about the Kings and Queens and lost this respect, it's possible that no one remembered where the treasure was--Cair Paravel was abandoned, for some reason, so maybe this was after that point.

The children acknowledge that, while they would like the comforts of a cooked meal like they'd get at school with the various amenities, they'd rather be on an adventure in Narnia/a Narnia-like place than in the comfort of a dreary school.

Peter is a leader, even more so than in the previous book. When he makes up his mind about where they are, he proves his point thoroughly, never backing down despite Edmund's arguments. He convinces the others, despite it being dark and late, to help him explore the mystery more so they can confirm once and for all whether they're in Cair Paravel.
Susan, while preferring the adventure to school, isn't as adventurous as her siblings, and I think more than the others, she doesn't want this to be Narnia--she doesn't want to have to face the idea that the good times from their reign are over even in Narnia. Susan wants to stay in her comfort zone, and would rather live with the mystery overnight than wander into the darkness now.
I find it interesting that Edmund, while clearly matured from the previous book, is still fairly argumentative with Peter when he introduces his theory--he counters just about every point that Peter makes, especially considering the (apparently) skewed time frames. However, notably, he stops arguing and helps Peter tear down the ivy, deciding that he's willing to believe it and put aside his contentions for a later point. He's also clearly very practical.
Lucy is still definitely the youngest and still the most innocent of the children, though none of them--not even Lucy herself--treats her like the baby/like "just a kid" anymore. When Susan expresses her objections to exploring Cair Paravel, their home, Lucy is the one who scolds Susan for saying such a thing.

Like I said in the previous answer, I think Susan is the one who is most sensitive to the idea that this is Cair Paravel, after all their old friends have long-since died. She almost cried when she found the chess piece, and it was after this that she started objecting to the idea of exploring the castle more, or that this really was Cair Paravel. I don't think she wanted to have to face this fact.

9. Edmund and Peter have several helpful items with them (pocket knives, electric torch, matches, and a compass). Why do you think this is?
Perhaps I'm misinterpreting how the book refers to it, but I don't think it specifies whether they were going back to school after Christmas or summer break. Perhaps they'd been camping that summer and had such supplies with them, and just kept them around (either because they forgot to put them away or didn't want to). Or, perhaps after all their adventures in Narnia, they started carrying such supplies with them on a normal basis, just because those tools can prove very useful in certain situations.
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby aileth » Oct 15, 2014 11:30 pm

In a literary sense, it was better not to have them all say something, I would think; it might sound too artificial. Not to say that Peter and Lucy weren't quicker than the others. Interesting, also, that it was Susan who found the chess piece, which was the final piece of evidence that indicated their location (aside from the treasure-chamber itself).

Everything had changed so much. And, save for their return to their own world, they had no experience of the time shift. Even Eustace
SHOW SPOILER "Silver Chair
didn't remember at first in SC, though he had been told about it.

It would have been rather lame, wouldn't it, if he had just had them figure it out immediately. As it is, this chapter builds tension; even after having read it so many times I find myself caught up in it. Their gradual discoveries ensure a feeling of exploration, like there was in LWW.

If I had spent some years there, as they had. And their life in Narnia would have been so much more varied than the life of a schoolboy or girl in England. We aren't told much of the years of their reign except in little snippets like this. Yet you can see how full a time they must have had. No wonder Susan was so wistful.

How I wish we had an explanation for what happened after the Golden Age! Did the creatures leave willingly, or were they driven out? Evidently all knowledge of the chamber was lost, though the ruins were known to exist. Another question that arises: Just how decayed were the ruins? The roof had fallen in, and the trees, ivy, etc., had taken over, but it was still in good enough shape to be recognized, once they had enough clues. And the chamber was underground. Or perhaps the riddle of the unperished bowstring is the answer.

School suppers were not intended to be thrilling or romantic. They were there to feed the hordes of hollow-legged boys, and, hopefully, keep them from perishing of starvation in between meals. I guess apples are not all that filling, when it comes down to it.

Individually, or as a whole? Too hard for so late at night; perhaps I will return and address this one at a more propitious hour.

I have to admit, that so far Susan doesn't seem much different than in LWW. She still is the most cautious of all of them, but again, that isn't really a fault.

If I understand it correctly, even Lewis himself didn't know at this point what would happen later--that is, he hadn't planned out the whole series. I think we look at her remarks and responses as signs of the future,
with foreknowledge of what happens in her life (at least as far as the end of the CoN; after that, no one knows for sure). While her final choices probably grew out of her character, she isn't necessarily demonstrating that yet.

That sounds typical of the contents of a schoolboy's pocket of that era. Certain things aren't mentioned, such as inky handkerchiefs, white mice, pencil stubs, bits of wire or twine, and a whole miscellany of similar items. They must have had very capacious pockets in those days.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Oct 16, 2014 6:49 pm

aileth wrote:Individually, or as a whole?
The questions was intended to mean individually but if you want do it as a a whole go for it.
Ryadian wrote:Perhaps I'm misinterpreting how the book refers to it, but I don't think it specifies whether they were going back to school after Christmas or summer break.
I assume it is after a summer break since it is Lucy's first time at boarding school. It seems odd that she would start mid year.
Pattertwigs Pal

Postby Ryadian » Oct 16, 2014 10:18 pm

Pattertwigs Pal wrote:
Ryadian wrote:Perhaps I'm misinterpreting how the book refers to it, but I don't think it specifies whether they were going back to school after Christmas or summer break.
I assume it is after a summer break since it is Lucy's first time at boarding school. It seems odd that she would start mid year.

True! That makes me even more happy with my conclusion. :P
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 24, 2014 10:36 pm

Much as I agree with the previous posters & with many of their excellent points, I do think that what Peter & Lucy feel about Narnia is far more straightforward than is the case for Susan & Edmund. Both Peter & Lucy shone in LWW, whilst Susan & Edmund have far more complex emotions to deal with, and possibly less happy. I agree with Ryadian that Edmund was the practical one, and absorbed in how they would cope, something that might also preoccupy Susan to some extent. But I also think that Susan, in particular, always cautious, conventional, sceptical and the least imaginative, might also have her own sobering memories of LWW, some of which don't belong here. For example, how well did either of them come to grips with Aslan's sacrifice and what was happening to Edmund in LWW?

Again I agree that the place looked much different. And they weren't expecting to find themselves in a ruined castle. From the POV of the children, initially, they may just as easily have been in some different part of UK, or Europe, both of which are absolutely studded with similar castles, let alone Cair Paravel. And they weren't expecting to find themselves marooned on an islet, or cut off from what looked like an enormous forest, if it was true they were at Cair Paravel. Also, it always takes time to figure out where, exactly, one is, if it is unexpected. No SatNav or GPS in Narnia, and no mobile telephones to ask questions. For instance, why is there a forest surrounding Cair Paravel, and why were they not in Lantern Waste, like the last time? At least in Lantern Waste, you'd expect to see a forest.

It shows their thought processes and what were some of their memories of their previous time in Narnia. They weren't all about the events of LWW. Some of those memories are of what came later before their return. It matters that it is Susan, likely to be the least ready to believe they were in Narnia, is the one to find and recognise the jewelled golden chess piece, almost the clinching argument.

These memories of Cair Paravel are from a time slot between their coronation and their return to the Wardrobe, as Lewis clearly shows. We aren't told in LWW about the apple orchard, or who planted it, or what sort of life they lived @ Cair Paravel. I'm not sure that I'd remember instantly all of what happened in a 15 year interval, but if it was drastically different from everyday life, I'd be surprised if I would forget what I did in that 15 year timeframe.

Do you know that this particular thing is strange? Don't you think that if any humans were around, such as the ones who ruined the castle, their first reaction would be to despoil it of any valuables? Perhaps this is something we need to find out about later on in the book.

I like Edmund's description of school suppers not being so bad after all. That is, if you were very hungry with not much available to eat. My memories of boarding school suppers weren't all that marvellous either. And at school reunions I've attended horrible boarding school suppers were legendary. Harry Potter had a much better time with school cooking, but he went to a magical school.

Need to think about it. At this point they seem normal enough. Just 4 schoolchildren excused from attending school. They are more harmonious with each other than in LWW, and more organised about distributing food and finding a stream to drink from. But you can see differences in character and opinion emerging as they gradually explore and discuss the ruins and their memories of living at Cair Paravel. Edmund remembering that he never got a Christmas present, unlike the others, and Susan remembering that the horn wasn't there. Peter tends to act without consulting the others first, not realising that Edmund might have a torch, for example. Susan doesn't want to explore, unlike the others, even Lucy.

I think that in this book Susan's reactions follow on from her first experience of Narnia. Some of that is explained in LWW. Further explanation may have to wait until later when HHB is the book discussed in the forum.

It is just the same for most people when leaving home for a long time. You pack, then, at the last minute, you go round the house looking for things that you think might be useful on the journey or at their destination. Remember Mrs Beaver in LWW? How she would have liked to take the sewing machine with her when fleeing the White Witch? Does anyone think that the boys might react in much the same way when going to boarding school? What about the sorts of things that boys might hope to do during the school term? Scouting, for instance? Pocket knives, like a spare pair of scissors, might be frowned on in these days of high security. But Swiss Army knives were legendary, and useful for all sorts of situations. And I never go anywhere without a torch stowed away in my handbag. So useful to read maps in the middle of the night and to find my cats as well. Would a compass be all that useful if you didn't know how to use it, though?

I like Aileth's comment about the contents of a boy's pockets. Yes, they did have capatious pockets, since boys' trousers tended to be rather baggy, getting tighter as they grew taller and heftier.

Pattertwig's Pal wrote:I assume it is after a summer break since it is Lucy's first time at boarding school. It seems odd that she would start mid year.

Except that in the Northern Hemisphere, summer break does fall in mid year. Unlike the Southern Hemisphere, where the school year starts with February in the calendar year, it being summer at that time.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » May 23, 2015 11:14 am

Lucy is more in tune to Aslan and Narnia than the rest. I also believe she feels things more deeply than the others. Peter might be more connected to Cair Paravel since he was the High King there. Susan is thinking more about her own comfort than where they are so I doubt she felt anything. Edmund might have and just didn't say anything or maybe he tends to use his brain rather than his heart.
For one thing it looks much different. If they had seen something familiar it would have hit them faster. They needed to collect clues to figure out where they were. This is only their second time outside of their world so they don't know if they will always go to Narnia or at least likely go to Narnia.
It keeps the story from moving too fast and allows the children to use there minds. The treasure chamber. At this point they can no longer deny where they are; they have to be at Cair. Of course the other clues are important as well because they would not have looked for the door without wondering.
4. How does Lewis use the children’s memories of their previous visit, in this chapter? Would you remember this sort of detail after 12 months back in your usual home? They remember more and more as they go on. It seems a lot of the memories are brought back by places and objects the see. I would think that the Narnian Air would help with memories. They probably talked about it a lot too. I also think that children have better memories that adults. It helps them figure out where they are. I hope my memory would be that good but it may not because memory recall is not my best area. I hope that seeing the familiar objects would bring it back.

The door was locked and then it was protected by the ivy so anyone who would venture that far would not see it. There might very well have been magic on the chamber.

I'm not exactly sure what is meant by "supper" in the English culture. It seems like a small meal in fact it is more like a snack. It is much different than what I would think of as supper and much different from what I serve the kids at work (although that is not a boarding school and the kids are much younger so it would be different). If they have that every night I image it would get tiring but it sounds good enough.
Lucy still seems to be drinking things in and is in tuned to her feelings. She is not afraid but ready to take what comes her way. Peter is trying to puzzle out where they are. He takes the lead in determining that. Peter allows input from his siblings. Susan is worried about the practical; she wants a plan. She also has a wistful side because she things about all the nice things she had at Cair. Edmund is also trying to use his brain to figure things out. He is an active participant in deciding what they should do.
Susan is very practical and fearful. She wants things to be ordered. She does not care about mysteries but rather the risks of having an open door at her back.

9. Edmund and Peter have several helpful items with them (pocket knives, electric torch, matches, and a compass). Why do you think this is? People often say that boys carry a lot of things in their pockets. Pocket knives are meant to be in pockets. I would imagine that candles would be around more for lighting rooms in case electricity couldn't be used. If Edmund's torch was new he might very well want to have carried it with him. They did have pocket sized torches as well as ones with rings on them that could be attached to a belt.
Pattertwigs Pal