This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Chapter 1 - The Island

Moderator: Pattertwigs Pal

Chapter 1 - The Island

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Oct 07, 2014 7:20 am

Here are some questions to get you going. You do not have to answer all of them or any of them. You are welcome to post your own thoughts and ask your own questions.

1. Do you prefer the title Drawn into Narnia, A Horn in Narnia, or Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia? Or would you suggest a different title?

2. Why do you think Lewis started both books "Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy?"

3. Do you think the children have noticeably matured since their last adventure in Narnia? What hints are there of the former kings and queens in their behaviour and conversation? How much do you think their relationships with each other have changed from LWW?

4. What are the similarities between the first time all of the Pevensies went to Narnia and this time? What are the differences?

5. Why do you think Lewis chose such this quiet country station for the children's removal to Narnia?

6. Why do you think they were deposited in the middle of the woods when they were called into Narnia?
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: Chapter 1 - The Island

Postby Ryadian » Oct 07, 2014 8:34 pm

1. Do you prefer the title Drawn into Narnia, A Horn in Narnia, or Prince Caspian: The Return to Narnia? Or would you suggest a different title?
Well, it's a little hard to say, seeing as how I'm used to Prince Caspian. ;)) Breaking the "pretend you've never read the book before" rule, I think the title as it stands has the same advantage as The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe in that it addresses a major character in the story, but someone you won't meet until later in the book, keeping you wondering about him until you officially met him. Drawn Into Narnia would give that away immediately, not to mention is probably a more appropriate name for the first book than this one. A Horn in Narnia, I think, would've been very appropriate, especially since it would've been a cue to readers of the first book that this was the next one.

I can't really argue with the title choice, though, especially since I don't have a better one. ;))

2. Why do you think Lewis started both books "Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy?"
This book very clearly starts with a recap of the previous adventure; what better way than that kind of callback?

3. Do you think the children have noticeably matured since their last adventure in Narnia? What hints are there of the former kings and queens in their behaviour and conversation? How much do you think their relationships with each other have changed from LWW?
Yes, I think they have--especially Edmund, of course. For example, the first time the children ended up in Narnia, when they found themselves wondering about food, it mainly consisted of Edmund and Susan wanting to go back for dinner. This time, they searched the island, divided up their sandwiches, considered possible food sources, and eventually started searching the woods before they gave up like that. (Also, I notice that Susan convinced Edmund and Lucy not to leave their shoes behind, since they might never find them again--I wonder if she's still thinking of those four coats they left last time. ;)) )

4. What are the similarities between the first time all of the Pevensies went to Narnia and this time? What are the differences?
Both times, they were deposited into the woods, and both times they feel some kind of discomfort (first the tree branches and wet snow, then the pulling/yanking) before they realize what's happening. Both times, the world around them seems to change--though, it's much more noticeable for the children this time. A big difference is how utterly random this "pulling" is compared to entering the wardrobe--at least in the first book, they entered a passage and ended up in Narnia. This time, they were just sitting on a platform, and suddenly, they're in Narnia. (Which would've been more than a little terrifying if they hadn't been to Narnia before!)

5. Why do you think Lewis chose such this quiet country station for the children's removal to Narnia?
I think it's for the contrast between where the children were expecting to go, and where they ended up. In England, they were waiting for a train to take them to/back to a dreary, boring year at school. Suddenly, as they're waiting, they're whisked away back to an adventure in Narnia.

6. Why do you think they were deposited in the middle of the woods when they were called into Narnia?
Possibly as another callback to the original story, since they were in the woods the first time--certainly, this would've felt more familiar to the children (at least until they discovered they were on an island). Also, I'm going to be stealing from an idea that You Will Find Me Bigger has presented elsewhere, but... perhaps the idea was to let the children be a little more self-reliant at the beginning of this adventure. Last time, they depended on the appearance of a robin, then Mr. Beaver in order to have any direction and avoid dying of exposure/getting caught and killed by the Witch. This time, they have to take the initiative.
N-Web sis of stardf, _Rillian_, & jerenda
Proud to be Sirya the Madcap Siren
Ryadian

Postby aileth » Oct 07, 2014 11:54 pm

Seeing I'm awful at coming up with titles, I think I'd let it stand as it is. Prince Caspian is short and snappy, leaving you with a certain amount of curiosity about the title character. I never noticed the subtitle until just recently :ymblushing:
(On second thought, a possible alternate title - non-fiction, of course: The Trees of Narnia - A treatise)

Stylistic mimicry? It reads like the start of an E. Nesbit book. Lewis certainly lets you know how the book is related to LWW - in one paragraph, no less. He doesn't spend the first six chapters catching you up on their adventures. It's as if he assumes that you have read the first book, and then gently weaves in additional details as the story goes on, just in case you haven't.

Edmund has learned quite a bit. Notice that he's the one who says, "Hold hands!" on the platform. All of them are far more ready to accept the adventure; no one wants to go home now.

Susan has become more gentle in her practicality, I think. She still thinks ahead and is concerned about the house-keeping details, (sandwiches and shoes) but appears less fearful, at least so far. A useful person to have along. I wonder if she became a prefect at school?

Actually, all of them are more equipped to survive a la Crusoe. There is an interchange of ideas and decision-making between them, though Peter is prepared to take the lead.

A sudden change of seasons happened in both books. Lewis states that it was about a year later; what time of year might this have been (in England)? When they entered the wardrobe, the winter seemed to be in contrast to what was in England at the time, whereas now it was much warmer in Narnia. I wonder if they were beginning the autumn term - that would explain the heavier coats they had to carry.

So the bobbies wouldn't worry about them, you see. Well okay, maybe not. I'm not sure.

Good point, Rya, about the branches poking them both times. I hadn't thought of that.

It seems appropriate for them to start in the woods, seeing how much of the book
is focused there. Much of their journey is through the forest, Lucy meets Aslan among the trees, and, of course, the awakened trees have their part in the final overthrow of Miraz's army. And what with the Telmarine fear of the woods - the whole book seems to be filled with trees.

Aside from Lucy's first comment about the possibility, why would they assume that they were in Narnia? Contrary to the movie version, in the book there was no indication that they expected that they would return. It was completely out of the blue, besides the fact that there was very little for them to recognize. Perhaps that is why it took a while for them to realize where they were.
Now my days are swifter than a post: they flee away ... my days are swifter than a weaver's shuttle
aileth
Peripatetic powder-room sub

Postby Meltintalle » Oct 09, 2014 8:47 am

I'm partial to Prince Caspian. I was thinking, though, that it's interesting none of the suggestions try to mimic the first book. The current trend is to have series books relate to each other titlewise or follow some sort of logical progression, and yet we don't have The Prince, the Horn, and the How. Maybe that's just because it's unwieldy? I'm not coming up with any other famous titles containing a triad off the top of my head either. There's lots of adjective, nouns; and noun and noun...

2. Why do you think Lewis started both books "Once there were four children whose names were Peter, Susan, Edmund, and Lucy?" I think I'll just steal aileth's answer of "stylistic mimicry".

3. Do you think the children have noticeably matured since their last adventure in Narnia? What hints are there of the former kings and queens in their behaviour and conversation? How much do you think their relationships with each other have changed from LWW? In LWW, on arrival at the Professor's house they express differing interests and there's the tension with Edmund. In PC it feels like they pull together more and though there's some disagreement they're willing to listen to each other. It's a positive sort of change.

4. What are the similarities between the first time all of the Pevensies went to Narnia and this time? What are the differences? There's silence in the woods. The wintery setting in LWW feels more awake and stimulating; full of promise and intriguing if a bit dangerous. Whereas in PC it's more like a lazy summer feel and the most immediate threat is that of not having enough for lunch.

5. Why do you think Lewis chose such this quiet country station for the children's removal to Narnia? I'm not sure how much the movies have influenced this, but I assumed they were going to school from the Professor's house which would be outside of London because they were sent away to keep them safe during the Blitz. Ergo, quiet country station.

SHOW SPOILER "chapter two"
I'm going to go way out on a limb and suggest that they were deposited close to Cair Paravel and they went around the long way to find the stream which led them (back) to the castle. On the other hand, the text doesn't say they finished circumnavigating the island. But that would sort of fit with later expectations of where help would show up.
Meltintalle
Ra-pun-z-mel

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Oct 09, 2014 11:38 pm

I rather like Meltintalle's suggestion of The Prince, the Horn, and the How though I don't see how the same sort of format could be adapted to other Narnia Chronicles. Drawn into Narnia would apply to at least 3 other Narnia stories, and A horn in Narnia is not as good as the book's own title, Prince Caspian, which introduces the story arc of what could be called the Caspian trilogy within the series.

I agree with the stylistic motif, but also think that this is the only other book of the series to be introduced this way. This way of reintroducing Peter, Susan, Edmund and Lucy at once recalls the beginning of LWW and affirms the book will also be about these four characters.

3a. Do you think the children have noticeably matured since their last adventure in Narnia?

Yes they have to a degree. Lucy is old enough for boarding school. The older ones are not teasing her, nor are they fighting among themselves. They already realise they won't be together as a family as they have been doing in the holidays, because the girls do not attend the same school as the boys. But they are also silently dreading the return to school life, necessary though it is.

3.b What hints are there of the former kings and queens in their behaviour and conversation? How much do you think their relationships with each other have changed from LWW?

Compared with LWW, the Pevensies have changed drastically. They are more co-operative among themselves, share the boys' sandwiches, take care of their belongings and link hands when they feel the pull of the horn. I think the way the horn affects them all is a clue to some of the later events of the story, with Lucy affected first. Edmund is the one who recognises that it is magic that pulls them. But even Peter and Susan are less disbelieving than they were in LWW. When they all get on the island, they are more interested in finding out how to find food, in examining their surroundings and in working out how to cope with the situation. They have more survival skills than they did at the beginning of LWW.

This return is similar to the first time in that Peter and Susan are still the ones to be more cautious about the possibility they are in Narnia, that they found themselves in a wood, though it turns out to be an overgrown orchard, and that their arrival is unexpected.

However, this time, there is noone there to greet them, & they have no idea yet of why they are where they are. In LWW, Lucy felt an obligation to Mr Tumnus, whilst Edmund had promised the White Witch he would turn his sisters and brother in to her. This time, Edmund and Lucy have no such agendas. There is a different feel to this return. It isn't in the middle of winter, there is more a feel of desertion and remoteness rather than of danger, and initially it is nothing more than a pleasant beach picnic on a pleasant early summer day, almost a continuation of the holidays they are so reluctant to leave behind.

I think Lewis' choice chimes in well with his idea of in-between places. This country station suggests a place where there is probably only one or two services per day, even if the commuter is so lucky that the service is still in operation. Nothing much happens, and there are as yet few people around.

But this particular country station is at a junction, where the boys are to go one way and the girls another. Where a little-used branch line meets a busier main line. It marks the parting of the ways, and the end of the holidays, as well as going towards the destination and the work ahead. It also marks where the unexpected can happen. Trains can be missed, they can go to unpredictable places if rerouted. They may not stop at the stations you were expecting them to stop at, or may stop in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason. Passengers may not necessarily go forward, or return home. They may be stranded goodness knows where.

I think it recalls Lantern Waste in LWW where they first were deposited in Narnia, and from whence they returned back to the Professor's house. The trouble is, this wood is unlike the other wood of fir trees and fur coats. Apples, for starters. Why, I wonder?
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby the4signs[repeat] » Oct 11, 2014 5:10 pm

I’ll focus on question #6: Why were the Pevensies drawn into a thick wood on an island in Narnia?
It is an interesting question. I would have thought that they would appear in Lantern Waste, since that was the springboard for their Narnian adventures last time, and it was the last place they were seen in Narnia. Perhaps the magic didn’t work to bring them directly to Prince Caspian because Aslan usually works through a process. Most characters in the Narnia stories have to undergo a journey, sacrificing, taking risks, and choosing to be obedient to their calling. In so doing they change and grow. I think the island was the starting point for this return adventure because it allows them to rediscover who they are before facing the journey and challenges ahead.
Grammatical garden or the Arbour of Accidence pleasantly open'd to Tender Wits by Puverulentus Siccus
the4signs[repeat]
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: On the balcony of my air castle... dusting the railing.

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Mar 24, 2015 6:56 pm

I also rather like The Prince, the Horn, and the How. A Horn in Narnia isn't bad but I think I'd change it slightly to something like "The Ivory Horn." All the other books are "The" books: The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe; The Voyage of the Dawn Treader; The Silver Chair; The Horse and his Boy; The Magician's Nephew; and The Last Battle.
It ties to the first book as well as being very close to a fairy tale beginning.
Yes, I think they have matured. They are able to discuss what they should do with less conflict than in LWW. They went much longer before tempers were nearly lost. In LWW tempers were lost immediately. I don't see anything reminds me of their royalty. Their relationship with Edmund has definitely improved and they are able to work together to decide what to do.
In both cases they arrive in the middle of the woods and need to decide what to do. They are left to themselves for a bit. This time they start on equal ground since none of them have been to that area in the same time frame (In LWW it was Lucy's 3rd time into Narnia and Edmund's second when Peter and Susan joined them.
It is the kind of spot where people do not expect things to happen. Also, stations are places to start journeys so it makes sense that a station would be used.
It seems rather odd that they weren't deposited in a place with some kind of landmark (such as the lamppost). I agree with the4signs[repeat] that this might have been a way for them to get back into having adventures before anything really big happens. I suppose it is possible that there was something special about that land that we never find out about or like Mel said close to Cair Paravel but they didn't know it.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb