This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

My First Post

Come Celebrate with Us!

My First Post

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Nov 18, 2013 7:15 am

Here a thread where you can repost your first post on NarniaWeb! If you can't find your very first post, you can post your first post on the new forum, another early post, or your favorite post. If possible include the date and location of your post.

Here is my first post:

1. (sexist) No, I do not. In each of his books he has strong female and male characters. In the Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe, Father Christmas does make the statement that "battles are ugly when women fight," but that is one character's opinion and it is hard to tell exactly what he means by it. In hand to hand combat with a sword, it would be very hard for a woman to match a man because women are not made to build a lot of muscles. Earlier he says he "he does not mean" Susan to fight and that Lucy is not to be in the battle. For Susan in particular, he seems to be expressing a wish. The children's ages also need to be considered. Lucy is fairly young. Also, I have always pictured the battle being in a wood area where there wouldn't be much place for archers anyway. Actually, I think Lucy and Susan get the better end of deal - they get to be close to Aslan. It reminds me of the story of Mary and Martha a little. Lucy and Susan get to listen and be near Aslan while Peter and Edmund are off in the battle. I would chose being near Aslan over a battle any day. People who focus on that the female characters do not fight as much as the male are missing one of the main points of the stories and that is the importance of Aslan. It is not that Lucy and Susan would not be brave enough; it is that they have their job to do which is more special than fighting in a battle. Lucy shows that she is brave in other ways. She stands up for what she knows is true to her older brothers and sisters which cannot be easy. Ever since I read the books as a girl, I have strongly identified with Lucy and wanted to be like her. That's all the time I have for now but I'll post more later.

From the old forum Part 1 of the Reading Group: Are The Chronicles of Narnia Sexist and Racist? Introduction and Accusations. Posted on May 17 2009 at 12:31pm.
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Re: My First Post

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Nov 20, 2013 4:47 pm

I can remember my first post very vividly. It was starting a new topic in the old "Narnia and Christianity" section of the forum. It's on the old forum, and it'll be nigh impossible for me to find it, but this is the text of the article I posted:

Digs wrote:Narnia Declawed

A few years back it was believed that HarperCollins, publishers of the Narnia books, meant to rewrite them and remove all evidence of Christian allegory. This was not true, but it does makes one think:

What would the stories be like without the Christian influence?

Here’s my attempt:

Once there were four children whose names were Peter–oh, wait, he was a disciple. Keys to the kingdom and all that.

Well, then: Once there were four children whose names were Percy, Susan–oops, that name’s based on the Biblical Susanna. And wasn’t there a Santa Lucia, too?

So: Once there were four children whose names were Percy, Sybil, Edmund, and Lana.

Moving right along, these four kids entered a magical land via armoire. There they became involved in an epic struggle of good versus evil–oh, wait, there’s no such thing as absolutes. No one is all evil. The Witch is just misunderstood. She probably had an unhappy childhood. Oh, and we can’t keep calling her the Witch. The implies censure. We’ll call her pagan–no, that might remind people that there’s an opposite to paganism, such as religion. Ah! We’ll call her a Child of Nature.

So, these four kids join forces with the local inhabitants and try to overthrow the Witch–er, Child of Nature (despite her very stable and mutually beneficial reign.) However, lacking any true leadership (That would mean Him, and we certainly can’t include Him.), the children and other rebels soon are turned into overlarge paperweights.

Huh, well, that won’t sell. Let’s try this: We’ll include him, but only after a fashion. So, the children go to meet Aslan and Edmund is rescued. Then Nature Girl comes to claim the traitor, according to ancient law. Aslan, not being a type of Christ, cannot die and be resurrected, so he has to give Edmund back, to fulfill the law. Nature Girl kills Edmund (but he had it coming, after all), and the four thrones are never filled.

No, no. That won’t do. Well, how about this: Nature Girl comes to claim Edmund, and Aslan says, “No, that’s just tough. You can’t have him. I don’t have to honor the law my old man put into Narnia years ago.”–wait, that implies creation. Can’t have that.

Aha!: The Witch, er, Child of Nature, comes for Edmund, and Aslan eats her (So what if it was supposed to be a parley? Getting to eat your enemies during a truce is one of the beauties of situational ethics.). Everybody else lives happily ever after, including the wolves, hags, efreets, etc. who are shown the error of their ways and reintegrated into society. The four children, not satisfied with the concept of “divine right of kings,” hold elections to see who will be the new president of Narnia. Some dwarf, who was never given fair opportunity for advancement in Nature Girl’s regime, gets the job. The kids go back through the wardrobe. Book sales plummet.

The End.

I remember hoping that nobody else had ever read this, but they had. . . and they'd enjoyed it as much as I had, which let me know that I'd found the place where I belonged. I'd found the place where people loved these books as much as I did. . .

And now, nearly 8 years later, I'm still convinced that this is my home. . . that y'all are my people.
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby johobbit » Nov 20, 2013 5:41 pm

Cool, Twigs and DiGs! :D

I have no idea what my first post was back in February/07. Forums were completely new to me, so it probably sounded reasonably klutzy. ;)) I had been daily on the NWeb news page since early 2005, but (sadly) did not become active on the forum until two years later.

I just now popped on the old forum, and couldn't go back nearly all the way to /07, but this is the furthest I could get—a post in the good ol', busy Town Square! Some names there are still around ... many aren't. As ceppault says, people come; people go. Anyway, that post was on June 29, 2009 at 4:15 pm, EDT.

So thankful for this amazing community here! :ymhug: ♪ ♫ "This is home"! ♫ ♪ Further up and further in!
johobbit

Postby Melian_Maia » Nov 20, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm almost 100% positive that my first post was in the introduction thread, almost four years ago. I remember joining on a whim (on March 10, 2010) when my brother had friends over and I was hiding out in my bedroom with the laptop. It took me a while to figure out the forum (and remember to reply to people who were talking to me), but I'm so glad that I got the hang of it. Like DiGs said, I'm pretty positive that this is my home, and these are my people. :) :ymhug:
Draco Dormien Nunquam Titillandus
Minion to Lady A and Booky ⎮ NW sister to Ela, Mountie, and Rose.
Braintriplet to Narnia_Fan12 and narnianerd
Team Hoodie! Secret Order of the Swoosh
Melian_Maia
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Louloudi the Centaur » Nov 20, 2013 6:13 pm

1.Name: Louloudi the Centaur
2.King or Queen:Queen
3.Family: I'm a child. :p
4.Occupation:middle school student
5.How you learned about NarniaWeb: After reading the books, I became interested in the VDT film production. In about March 2010, I found NarniaWeb.
6.How old were you when you first read the Chronicles: I'm newer to the series, first reading them when I was eleven.
7.How many times have you read the Chronicles: I have no idea to be honest.
8.Favorite of the Chronicles: Between MN and LB
9.I am a kid who loves to read fantasies, especially Narnia of course and Redwall. I love animals, whether mythical or real, or cryptid. I can play clarinet and used to play piano. My favorite music is from Two Steps From Hell(a trailer music group) and Heather Dale. One day I hope to become a writer or cryptozoologist.

Interests change, don't they? :p
Louloudi the Centaur
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby TheGentleWarrior » Nov 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Oh dear, are you sure you want me to share my very first post in here? :P I'll have to find it if I can, but I assure you it won't be very pretty. Quite embarrassing really. If I recall, it involved a lot of punctuation. ;)) :p

EDIT: My account on the old forum is only showing posts back to Feb. 2009. I guess I'll have to do some hunting to find my first one.

EDIT 2: Haha, I just found the "What do you want to be when you grow up" thread. My answer was "an actress!!!!!!!!!!!" Things change. :P

Right, back to looking for my first post! I'm reminiscing and getting off track.
Proud ballet dancer!
4/23/12 - First triple pirouette en pointe!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Pattertwigs Pal » Nov 20, 2013 8:03 pm

I should probably have included the link for the old forum in the first post. :ymblushing: Sorry about that.

One way to find an early post on the old forum:
1. Log in
2. Go to your profile
3. Click on find member posts
4. Select any date
5. If you remember what forum it was in select that. (It seems to let you go farther back in time if you do this
6. Click on start search
7. From the page drop down menu select the last page.

If you are just browsing make sure you select Any date for topics to view.

Digs, I found your post while I was digging around on the old forum. Beside the article you posted:
i dont know how many of you have read this , but it makes a really good point .
The date was 14 April 2005 at 9:03pm
Silver Chair Reading Group
NW sister to Movie Aristotle & daughter of the King
Pattertwigs Pal
Cookie Queen of NarniaWeb

Postby TheGentleWarrior » Nov 20, 2013 8:28 pm

Ok, it looks like I found my first post. Not bad, but not brilliant either. I joined on the 9th of September 2008 at a fairly late hour, so it looks to be about right that my first post was the next day. I think. :p

Here it is:
I like the lucy costume it's reallypretty and is fairly close to the movie costume, but I wish they could have a bigger range of sizes.Young kids aren't the only ones who like to dress up!I wishthey would make some susan costumes too because I never see costumes for susan! And she has some nice dresses in the movie too.

Posted on the old forum in the "Narnian Halloween Costumes" thread on September 10th 2008 at 12:21pm.
Proud ballet dancer!
4/23/12 - First triple pirouette en pointe!
TheGentleWarrior
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby DamselJillPole » Nov 20, 2013 8:49 pm

My first post was about the anticipation on who could play Ramandu in the VDT film.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby waggawerewolf27 » Nov 21, 2013 2:21 am

Oh dear! I'm not really good at computer stuff, though I do the best I can, when I feel up to it. I am on the old forum somewhere, I agree, having joined 9th January 2009. I think my first post was in relation to some petition or other to be sent to Walden/Disney to ensure they proceed to make VDT as a movie.
waggawerewolf27
NarniaWeb Zealot

Postby King_Erlian » Nov 21, 2013 2:32 am

This wasn't quite my first post but it was an early one, from March 28th 2012, on the Talk About Narnia section - it was a thread I started called "Ever got the wrong end of the stick?"
When reading the Narnia books, have you ever read something which you completely misunderstood and only realised much later?

I first read the books when I was 6 and for about a year afterwards I drove my parents and teachers nuts asking, "What does bella-board mean?" If I'd had the opportunity to meet C.S. Lewis (which was impossible as he died the year I was born) it would have been the one question I would have wanted to ask him.

The mystery word came from King Tirian's marching song: "Ho rumble drum belabour'd". Only a couple of years ago, when I was in my mid-forties, did I twig that the word was pronounced "be-lay-bud". D'oh! #-o
King_Erlian
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby starkat » Nov 21, 2013 4:29 am

I once tried to find my first post and never could quite track it down. I don't remember what it was either. It would have been in the Spare Oom though. I was a rather prolific poster in the original Ditto club for a bit.

Did you know that Ditto Town used to be Ditto Club and it was a part of the Spare Oom?
starkat

Postby DiGoRyKiRkE » Nov 21, 2013 12:54 pm

I remember that thread, King_Erlian! It was a lot of fun!
Member of Ye Olde NarniaWeb
WC: Old Forum: 1024 New Forum: 240
DiGoRyKiRkE
The Logical Ornithological Mod

Postby stargazer » Nov 21, 2013 1:48 pm

I don't remember my old forum password and my attempts to use the search didn't give the expected results, but I do recall that my first post was made within days of my join date (March 28, 2004) and I'm fairly certain it was in a thread discussing how we were introduced to Narnia.
But all night, Aslan and the Moon gazed upon each other with joyful and unblinking eyes.
stargazer

Postby Aslans_Jewel » Nov 21, 2013 4:20 pm

I agree with Farsight1, the old spoiled rotten empire and the monastery (you sinful people ;) ) should definitely be saved, they were the best evva :D

In the Narniaweb Preservation Society post on the new forum

And the last post I could get to on the archive, from the Vacations and Departures stickied thread in June 2009

heyllo all, im gonna be gone for a few months cause my comp got the trojan horse virus yesterday, and my mom keeps deleting the built in internet soft ware so thats busted see yall in a few months

And that last quote of mine made absolutely zero sense. I physically cringed reading that.
Aslans_Jewel
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby wolfloversk » Nov 21, 2013 8:55 pm

My first post is no longer officially accesible because I've edited it since being here, but it'd be this one.

The next three were either there or in prayer requests, but here's the 5th one... early on in the Pets Blog:

A younger wolfloversk wrote:I've had many pets over my lifetime but right now I just have my rabbit Patchy. He's my best freind and he can be absolutely hilarious. I think he's part English Spot and either part Rex or part Minnie Rex, but I'm not sure. He was named after his spots. His face is really cute because his markings make him look like he has a mustache, and his tail looks grey because the white hairs mix with the black ones, but if you get up close you can see the difference in the colors. Another odd thing about his appearence is his whiskers. For some reason they won't grow right, the one that do grow always end up way to short, curled, and kinked, but they don't seem to bother him so it doesn't worry me as much anymore.
He's a little over two years old and he has a little bit of a wild streak in him. He loves to explore new things and especially loves to be in his hutch outside so he can see everything. We don't put him outside over night or during the winter, and I know many other rabbit owners don't think that they should be allowed outside cause of the dangers, but in truth it would break his heart. Sometimes if its stormy outside we won't put him in his hutch, and instead I'll let him run around the house for a few hours, but ussually he'll just sit and pout in his cage or under the table, it's not that he doesn't want to come out cause he does in the winter or after he's been outside for a while. It's just that he likes being outside more than being indoors. I actually like this about him cause I'm the same way, give me a forest and I will be truly happy.
He's kind of a one person rabbit and loves to spend time with me, He lets me pet him more than my parents and we play all sorts of games, like chasing the cat toy or the rabbit version of tag. When he's out side we'll race around the hutch until the leader stops at a random window waits for the other to catch up then he sniffs my hand and we'll race in the other direction. He almost always leads, he has less room to cover and I have to navigate in the tight space between the hutch and the shed, but my lack of running skills don't help either. This is actually a game he taught me rather than me training him, and I absolutely love it.
He hates being held, but he loves to be petted especially on his forhead, but never his sides. (I thinks he's afraid that if you touch his sides it means you're gonna pick him up. He's also a highly destructive rabbit, he loves to tear apart cardboard boxes and napkins and dig up rugs. He also has this crazy thing for some shades of blue. Watch out if your around him and wearing blue cause he'll try to attack your clothes, but other that that he probably won't bite you, even if you try to pick him up (he'll just run off instead).
I tried to get a picture on here of him but can't quite figure it out, but one of his pictures is my avatar, so at least you guys can see aside view of his face.

Patchy has since passed on most tragically, but he still remains one of the best friends I've ever had... And I'm glad I got to share his life with my NW friends along the way :ymhug:

(I think you guys can see I like talking about animals)
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Next