This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite voice of Aslan? You decide.

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Which voice of Aslan sounds best to you?

Liam Neeson (from the Disney/Walden/Fox films)
84%
Ronald Pickup (from the BBC miniseries)
6%
Stephen Thorne (1979 LWW animated cartoon)
2%
David Suchet (Focus on the Family radio dramas)
8%

Total votes : 51

Re: Favorite voice of Aslan? You decide.

Postby AJAiken » Mar 03, 2010 2:35 am

I like all the ones I've heard (everything except the radio dramas) but I most definitely like Liam Neeson the best. He managed to be both kind and scary!
AJAiken
Moderator Emeritus

Postby the4signs[repeat] » Mar 10, 2010 3:59 pm

I still haven't heard an Aslan voice that captured his essence. When I first heard David Suchet I was very disappointed, he was trying too hard to sound like a lion. It wasn’t even very consistent with the other characters in the drama, I mean, the beavers didn’t make beaver-ey noises all the time, they were just a sweet old couple. But as I got used to Suchet I grew to like it more. Some of his performances in the series were quite good.
Liam Neeson I can’t stand. He is way to tame. His voice is mellow, but not rich and full. I think they chose him for name recognition and that disappointed me. I would rather have an unknown British actor with a great accent and a cultured voice. In fact, I wish Bill Nighy would have been cast as Aslan. He seems to fit the bill.
But, in the end I voted for the cartoon voice, (and I was the only one who did!) because his voice was rich and kind, -even if not very expressive. (But hey, it was just a cartoon.) The only real problem I had was that he had an American accent! :p

Oh, and don't even get me started on the BBC Aslan!
That Aslan sounded like he was falling into a stupor.
My friends and I have a joke where we hold up our hand as a "puppet" and say, "Repeeeeat the foooooour signs" and move our puppet's "mouth" totally out of synch with the words... just like in the movie.
~Hence my name :D
Grammatical garden or the Arbour of Accidence pleasantly open'd to Tender Wits by Puverulentus Siccus
the4signs[repeat]
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: On the balcony of my air castle... dusting the railing.

Postby GeorgieXOXOsmile » Mar 25, 2010 1:16 pm

I like Liam Neeson the best. He sounds very mighty and powerful, yet peaceful and kind.

This was a great thread question to ask!!!
GeorgieXOXOsmile
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Mar 25, 2010 7:37 pm

the4signs[repeat] wrote:Oh, and don't even get me started on the BBC Aslan!
That Aslan sounded like he was falling into a stupor.
My friends and I have a joke where we hold up our hand as a "puppet" and say, "Repeeeeat the foooooour signs" and move our puppet's "mouth" totally out of synch with the words... just like in the movie

haha I do the same thing with my friends! Especially the part with "welcome Peter son of Adam. Welcome Susan and Lucy daughters of Eve." :)) :p
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Ronny » Mar 26, 2010 11:54 am

I think Neeson is the best Aslan and it's not just because I'm a big fan of his.
I like him for the same reason I liked Jim Caviezel as Jesus Christ. Because they both bring out the humanity and humour in the characters.
Neeson's Aslan seemed to be both benevolent and with a good sense of humour, ready to laugh and make others feel better.
I don't like Aslan being too severe and serious.
Ronny
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Mar 26, 2010 1:31 pm

Glenstorm the Great wrote:^^why does no one like him but me? I thought he sounded very magestic... :-\ :(

hmmm.....sorry, can't help you there! :p I don't think he sounded very majestic!
my dad almost turned MN off when he heard Aslan's voice because he found it annoying..... :(
:)
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby DamselJillPole » Mar 27, 2010 7:23 pm

I voted for Liam Neeson. I think his voice is powerful and the way how his voice delivers makes you want to hear more from him.
Long Live King Caspian & Queen Liliandil Forever!
Jill+Tirian! Let there be Jilrian!
DamselJillPole
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby the4signs[repeat] » Mar 29, 2010 8:10 am

Glenstorm the Great wrote:haha I do the same thing with my friends! Especially the part with "welcome Peter son of Adam. Welcome Susan and Lucy daughters of Eve." :)) :p

You do it too? Well what do you know?!?! haha! :ymhug: Now I will use that quote too! ;;)
Grammatical garden or the Arbour of Accidence pleasantly open'd to Tender Wits by Puverulentus Siccus
the4signs[repeat]
NarniaWeb Regular

Location: On the balcony of my air castle... dusting the railing.

Postby Gandalfs Beard » Apr 05, 2010 5:01 pm

Obviously this is HIGHLY subjective and there is no right or wrong answer 8-| . But for me (and apparently most people) it's Liam Neeson hands down.

I never thought Suchet had the right voice at all for Aslan, too high pitched (though he's a perfect Hercule Poirot). Ronald was kinda...meh! Not terrible, but not how I imagined Aslan. And Thorne, cartoon Aslan,....Blaaaaargh :ymsick: (just an opinion ;;) ).

When I first heard Neeson as Aslan, I was amazed that he sounded pretty much how I've always imagined him for almost 40 years: Noble, Kind, Powerful, Regal, Soft Spoken but slightly Dangerous (NOT tame, I don't see how some people think that :-\ , but, as I said, this is very subjective).

Another interesting thing to ponder is who else might be good as Aslan (sorry, no American Accents allowed :p )? Patrick Stewart? Maybe...he sounds a bit TOO stentorian though. Hmmm, perhaps Ian McKellen. I always thought Gandalf was a bit like Aslan :D . But I could be biased =)) .

GB (%)
"Absence of Evidence is not Evidence of Absence" -- Carl Sagan
Gandalfs Beard
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Apr 06, 2010 12:26 pm

Gandalfs Beard wrote:And Thorne, cartoon Aslan,....Blaaaaargh :ymsick: (just an opinion ;;) ).GB (%)

I am with you on that one! Thorne is creepy! his voice and the whole animated LWW gave me nightmares for a month after I saw it! :-q x_x :ymsick:
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby narnian1 » May 16, 2010 7:18 am

I voted for Liam Neeson, I've only heard two- Liam and the guy for BBC.

Frankly,
the voice used for BBC annoyed me to death. I didn't like it AT ALL. so it wasn't any real competition who I liked best. I think Liam Neeson has done a wonderful job, and hope he does it for all the movies. :)
narnian1
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby The Servant » May 16, 2010 1:48 pm

Definitely Liam Neeson. Hands down. The old one (at least, from the BBC miniseries) had such a frail voice. And he had no roar.
- The Servant.

Prayer partners for Skandar Keynes. PM Benjamin to join the group!
The Servant
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby Wind_Eagle » May 20, 2010 8:07 pm

I just love how Liam Neeson does Aslan. His voice brings so much to Aslan and who he represents. They couldn't have chosen someone better.
(Will) "I am Prince Caspian..." (Ben) "No you aren't, get off."
Wind_Eagle
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby MountainFireflower » May 21, 2010 9:37 pm

Valiant_Lucy wrote:I've always heard people say they can't stand the Radio Drama's Aslan, so I know it's unpopular. I just really like it. :ymblushing: :p Probably because when I was in that stage of just discovering Narnia, I was crazy about the radio theater CDs and listened to them ALL the time. I still hear all the voices in my head (especially of the LotGK) when I read the books! :)

Yes! Me too! I love the Radio Theater editions! I grew up listening to them, and I've always liked David Suchet's voice, just because of how rich it sounds, but I liked how Liam Neeson balanced out the strong and gentle sides of Aslan. So...I'd definitely have to say Liam Neeson.
av by dot
MountainFireflower
Moderator Emeritus

Postby narnialover4 » May 22, 2010 12:00 pm

DEFINITELY Liam Neeson! I honestly couldn't imagine anyone else voicing Aslan in the remaining movies.
"Are you sure you're eighteen?"
"Why? Do I look older?"
narnialover4
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby De_De » Aug 14, 2010 3:49 am

I haven't heard any other voices, other than that of Liam Neeson. But I think he is the best Aslan that could ever be!
Founder of the Exploring Narnia Club (PM me to join)
Member of the Dragon Club
De_De
NarniaWeb Guru
The Sunny Vitamin D (BC, retired)

Location: exploring Narnia with Frodo and Lady Courage (and a bunch of great NarniaWebbers) in Obi's spaceship

PreviousNext