This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Favorite voice of Aslan? You decide.

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Which voice of Aslan sounds best to you?

Liam Neeson (from the Disney/Walden/Fox films)
84%
Ronald Pickup (from the BBC miniseries)
6%
Stephen Thorne (1979 LWW animated cartoon)
2%
David Suchet (Focus on the Family radio dramas)
8%

Total votes : 51

Favorite voice of Aslan? You decide.

Postby ShastaTheSecond » Jan 21, 2010 12:12 pm

If this topic is at all redundant or unneccesary, please-- delete it!

The premise is quite simple: choose your favorite voice of Aslan: Liam [from the Disney/Walden/Fox films], Ronald [from the BBC TV series], or another.

I think my personal favorite would probably be David Suchet, from the Focus on the Family productions. He really has a good depth to his voice, that wild, lionlike quality, that I always imagined Aslan would have.

I've never really been a fan of the BBC voice. It seems like whenever he talks, his delivery is so slow, so unlike Aslan, that it's almost comical.

Stephen Thorne [from the 1979 LWW cartoon] has also a very Aslan-sounding voice. But I haven't seen that cartoon for the longest time, so I don't think I really can make a judgement on it.

Liam Neeson has a fine voice that really shows the seriousness of the Aslan character, but to me at least, his voice does not at all sound like a Lion should sound. Too tame. Of course, I'm sure many of you would disagree, but it seems like there really is no, well... majesty to his voice that should come with the King of Wood, the Son of the Emperor. But everyone has his own opinion.

ImageImageImage
Narnia forever!
ShastaTheSecond
NarniaWeb Regular

Re: Favorite voice of Aslan? You decide.

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Jan 21, 2010 3:10 pm

I LOVE Liam Neeson's voice in LWW and PC! he has a great voice and he did an amazing job!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby greenbird37 » Jan 21, 2010 9:54 pm

Definitely Liam Neeson....his tone and the smoothness of his voice just fits for Aslan....could not imagine a more soothing voice than his for this beautiful lion! :)
"We have nothing if not belief"
greenbird37
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby narnian_at_heart » Jan 24, 2010 3:44 pm

Definetly Liam Neeson. I have not seen the BBC movies or the cartoon. I've listened to the Narnia audio dramas multiple times and love them but I can't stand David Suchet's Aslan voice. At times it just sounds weird the way he draws out words and sometimes his voice gets way too high up for Aslan. His should be deeper.

I've always imagined Aslan's voice the way Liam Neeson did it.
narnian_at_heart
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Lucy P. » Jan 24, 2010 7:21 pm

I voted for Liam Neeson, though the only other version of Aslan's voice I've heard is Ronald Pickup's.
I just did not like the BBC's roar. It sounded like more of a belch than anything else. >.<
Quod Erat Demonstrandum
Lucy P.
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby Valiant_Lucy » Jan 25, 2010 8:49 pm

I've always heard people say they can't stand the Radio Drama's Aslan, so I know it's unpopular. I just really like it. :ymblushing: :p Probably because when I was in that stage of just discovering Narnia, I was crazy about the radio theater CDs and listened to them ALL the time. I still hear all the voices in my head (especially of the LotGK) when I read the books! :)
"Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius, and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring." Marilyn Monroe
Valiant_Lucy
Moderator Emeritus
The IMAR&NB mod

Postby Lion's Emblem » Jan 26, 2010 9:05 pm

For me, it's a toss up. I really like Liam Nesson and Stephen Thorne. Liam Neeson has the ability with his voice to fit all of Aslan's moods, whether it be his ferocity or gentleness. I also have to say Stephen Thorne because his voice talent was the first variation of Aslan that I heard.

For the BBC, I always felt that Ronald Pickup was a little... dry with Aslan's voice. He always seemed very monotone and didn't change much. David Suchet was okay in the radio dramas. There were parts where I felt that his voice worked for Aslan's character and other times his voice just felt "awkward" with the character.
Sig by Dernhelm_of_Rohan
NWsis to eves_daughter & ForeverFan
Lion's Emblem
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby lover of narnia » Jan 28, 2010 11:46 am

I voted for Liam Neeson. Even though his voice his smooth and gentle, I think that's how Aslan would talk. At times, he puts the needed emphisis in it to make Aslan sound, angry or caring. I love his voice! I think he did a great job!!! :ymapplause: :D

Loyal supporter of Caspian/Susan.
NW Family: Aunty Vi, LadyC, Rose, Chloe
Secret Order of the Swoosh.
Keeper of the Secret Magic
L6
lover of narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Horse_Lover » Feb 01, 2010 7:38 pm

I picked Liam Neeson, but I also love David Suchet's voice in the FoTF version. :D
Nweb twin to ValiantPrincess, and Nweb sis to elvenbug
Proud member of the 10th Avenue North club!
Horse_Lover
NarniaWeb Junkie

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Feb 01, 2010 7:45 pm

^^you stole the words out of my mouth :p ...or should I say fingers ;) . I love Liam Neeson, but I also love David Suchet...I have no idea why hardly anyone seems to like his preformance as Aslan... :)
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby ChristProclamer » Feb 13, 2010 11:23 pm

Liam Neeson--becuase he's the least bad. Really, I think my imagination's voice of Aslan is so impossible, no human actor could recreate or match it. Or at least very few. So naturally, most attempts are going to be disappointments.
Neeson has that deep, kingly richness, that nobility to his voice that I love. He really did brilliantly, I think. Sounds truly magnificent, tender with Lucy, deeply loving of all his people--A job well done on a difficult role.
David Suchet--umm...no. He kinda made me laugh. He'd get overexcited sometimes and never really captured anything of Aslan, IMO.
Has anyone heard the voice of Aslan in the abridged BBC Radio versions? I thought whoever that guy was sounded good.
ChristProclamer
NarniaWeb Guru

Postby fantasia » Feb 17, 2010 11:36 am

It's been too long since I saw the animated version of LWW so I can't include Stephen Thorne in my opinion.

The FotF Aslan ... oh my... I had a hard time listening to him without giggling. I couldn't take him seriously.

Liam Neeson most definitely had a good lion-y voice. It was nice and rumbly and I loved it when he faced the White Witch and yelled at her. :D So he's a very close second.

However, Ronald Pickup is my favorite because of his peaceful, soothing voice. I dunno, maybe it's because his was the first interpretation of Aslan I ever heard so I'm biased towards that, but for some reason I found his voice trusting.

But having said all of that, none of them quite are the perfect Aslan to me. Even Ronald Pickup who's my favorite would sometimes talk far to slowly and quietly. ;))
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Postby Liberty Hoffman » Feb 21, 2010 5:32 pm

fantasia_kitty wrote:The FotF Aslan ... oh my... I had a hard time listening to him without giggling. I couldn't take him seriously.

^^ me too! when my family and I sat down together to listen to MN, my dad was like, "Who is that?" he didn't know it was Aslan! :p I wasn't impressed with his voice either! I think he did the best job in HHB when Shasta's lost and Aslan shows himself to him. but other than that, i think his voice is almost annoying!
NW sister - wild rose ~ NW big sis - ramagut
Born in the water
Take quick to the trees
I want all that You are

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EADBC57vKfQ
Liberty Hoffman
NarniaWeb Master
Libby the Epic; sub in the WC

Postby Glenstorm the Great » Feb 21, 2010 6:54 pm

^^why does no one like him but me? I thought he sounded very magestic... :-\ :(
Glenstorm the Great
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby Aravis Narnia » Feb 26, 2010 6:19 am

Liam Neeson. No questions asked. He sounds both kind and powerful. Very majestic without being a despot. The kind of voice that brings a smile to your face.
Aravis Narnia
NarniaWeb Fanatic

Postby fantasia » Feb 26, 2010 9:50 am

Glenstorm the Great wrote:^^why does no one like him but me? I thought he sounded very magestic... :-\ :(

There's nothing wrong with you liking him. :ymhug: The tone of his voice was great. The issue I had was that he tried to talk with what I think was supposed to be a rumble in his voice, but it sounded like he was either gargling or had something stuck in his throat. It just didn't work for me.
fantasia
Site Admin
The Watchful Admin

Next