This forum has been archived. Please visit the new forum at https://community.narniaweb.com/

Should adult actors be cast as Eustace and Jill?

Past, present, and future.

Moderators: GlimGlum, Pattertwigs Pal

Should adult actors be cast as Eustace and Jill?

Postby The Rose-Tree Dryad » Oct 03, 2015 12:04 pm

Yes, I know the title of this thread sounds absurd, but hear me out. ;))

I was watching a clip from Maze Runner recently to see what Will Poulter was looking like these days, and unfortunately, I highly doubt he'll be returning to Narnia. However, I saw another boy in the film that looked rather Eustace-y to me and a possible recast for the role. The actor in question is Thomas Brodie-Sangster, who is twenty-five but doesn't look it at all. I showed a picture of him to my brother and asked him to guess his age, and he put him at about fourteen or fifteen.

I don't know whether or not that particular actor would be a good fit, but the idea of deliberately casting older yet very young-looking actors in the roles of Eustace and Jill is somewhat intriguing to me. They wouldn't necessarily have to be in their mid-twenties, but just old enough to know that they're probably done with growing. After watching Will Poulter outgrow his role so quickly, I'm a little concerned at the thought of casting two kids for The Silver Chair and then having the same problem all over again.

Theoretically, this shouldn't be much of a problem if The Last Battle is made directly after The Silver Chair. However, my impression is that most fans would like MN and HHB to precede LB, and Douglas Gresham's desire to see all seven films made may also require that order. If those two films are sandwiched in between SC and LB, then there could easily be four to five years in between filming for whomever is cast as Eustace and Jill. The kids could grow up and we find that the visual in The Last Battle is three adults opposing the Calormenes instead of one man and two teens.

Is this enough of a concern to warrant casting youthful-looking adults in these roles? I'm not sure. One negative that I can think of is that an adult actor playing a much younger character may ring false and detract from the role. However, a very good actor may be able to make the character entirely believable and actually bring more experience to the table. I'm also reminded that we've already seen something similar to this happen in the Narnia film series—twenty-six year old Ben Barnes being cast as Caspian, although it appears that Caspian in the film was aged to be about sixteen or so.

Any thoughts? :-?
Twitter: Rose_the_Dryad
The Rose-Tree Dryad

Re: Should adult actors be cast as Eustace and Jill?

Postby wolfloversk » Nov 07, 2015 12:31 pm

I believe there was actually quite a few years between SC and LB, so I think it'd be fair to expect some sort of growth spurt anyways.

I think it could be done, but I don't really want to see it done. If they're gonna recast Eustace at this point I'd rather they cast someone younger. Otherwise it would just kinda feel like a slap in the face for Will Poulter fans if they recast to someone the same age as him or older :P
Avi by AstrowolfD
wolfloversk
NarniaWeb Zealot
The Riddle Master

Postby CorazonBandido55 » Jan 29, 2016 11:11 pm

This is an interesting discussion. I've always been a proponent of keeping Will Poulter. But if they recast, they need to find a young looking actor that looks a lot like Eustace. Whether he is 13 or 20 isn't as much of a concern unless he looks young. This is important because we will encounter the aging issue again. Filming LB after SC is ideal to resolve this issue. You can always come back to MN and HHB since those films generally have characters that aren't seen in any of the other films. Well, except the Pevensies, who are SUPPOSED to be adults anyways.
your fellow Telmarine
CorazonBandido55
NarniaWeb Nut

Postby coracle » Jan 30, 2016 3:31 am

The actual problem about Will was not that he grew right after filming, but that there was a lot of delay in filming VDT so there wasn't time for him to do SC as well. He did oblige by staying quite small for his age for several years, so we can't blame him.
Of course Skandar set a precedent for growing During a filming.
I'd like to see 13-14 years old play Eustace and Jill, so they can play them as 15-16 in LB.
“Not all of us can choose what we give up. The things we love are taken or are never ours at all. If we’re lucky, life is defined not by what we let go, but what we let in: friendship and kind words, frailty and hope.”

From 'Call The Midwife', S9 Ep2
coracle
NarniaWeb's Auntie